1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Give these guys some time!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by World B Free, Feb 25, 2013.

1. World B Free

World B Free Member

all this talk about Josh Smith, Milsap and Howard...

why don't we find out what we just got in Thomas Robinson first before we go get a player that is WAY more expensive and maybe not that much better....

AND..

look at what Smith, Montiejunas and Beverley have done with extended minutes... plus we might get something from T Jones if he is called up. I don't really think we will get anything from R White, but since he is still property of the Rockets it's still an option...

I think the trade will turn out to be really good for the Rockets.. so before we look passed what we have and worry about the offseason, let's see what kinda team we've got now that we have revamped 1/3 of the roster.

2. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

It's funny. Before the season if you told me the Rockets weakest position would be PF throughout the season I would have laughed.

Patterson, White, D-Mo, Smith, Jones, Morris, Brochman and Leur.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Count me as one who wants to see what we have in Motiejunas before blowing all that cap space on a power forward who has a career shooting percentage of 46% with questionable shot selection.

D-Mo is shooting 54% for the season and 72% since Patterson and Morris were moved. Small sample size absolutely .... but lets see what he can do the final 25 games before we jump to the conclusion that PF is where all that money should be spent.

Its quite possible the team could get more bang for the buck at another position.

Maybe you make a run at CP3 or look to upgrade Asik as there are multiple possibilities at the C spot in Howard , Bynum and Nikola Pekovic (thats not to say that I want either of the first two). Just so many possibilities out there , they could even rent that cap space for another season in exchange for an asset and look to be major players in the 2014 FA class.

4. rocketfaithful

I agree 100%, and what people don't relize is that in a few years we will need enough cap to resign parsons and we still need to sign a better bench. right now if we signed smith long term then in two seasons when parsons contract is up we won't be able to afford him. I would rather have parsons and motiejunas or robinson than smith and a scrub in the small forward position

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I trust Morey in managing cap space. What Morey has not proven competent is:

1. Signing big name free agents
    2. Finding star level talents with lottery picks

I'll give Morey the benefit of the doubt that luck is still not on his side with these two aspects of GM-ing.

6. ejarts

ejarts Member

7. AFS

AFS Member

As to the first category, I think part of the problem is that he didn't have a superstar already in place. Big name FAs tend to go to either one of the sexy cities, or a city in which there's already a star in place. Now that Harden is here, we'll see what Morey can do.

8. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Shut your ass up

9. DreamRoxCoogFan

oh wow, a World B Free post. Impressive

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

As to the bold: That statement is a bit unfair. Star players are difficult as best to get at the top of the draft.

The earliest pick he's had to work with was #12.

11. World B Free

World B Free Member

I'm living in NYC now... loving my NBA League pass to keep up with my Rocks... haven't been this excited about the Rocks since the 90's

12. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

spoton brother...i think we have enough talent to win championship already..just let them play together some time...as soon as James improve to MJ level we will win the championship...

13. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

That's some VERY wishful thinking

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well, we can't do anything right now and have the rest of the season to see what we've got. But, come the offseason, we've got a big ole wad of cash to spend and it would be negligent to not spend it on something. If we know by then we need a PG more than we need a PF, then fine. But, right now, it looks like the biggest gain we can make out of the stacks of cash is at PF and C. And, even if the greatest need is PG, I don't know if there's much to do there -- the only big name there is Chris Paul, and I'm pretty certain he's staying in LAC.

15. rocketblood713

This team doesnt have time to waste right now if they want that playoff spot ..

16. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

Lol, as soon as James becomes the greatest player of all-time we might win a championship :grin:

17. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Rockets sign CP3 in the offseason and send Lin + other players to Clippers. Now wouldn't that be crazy.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I dont think it would be negligent to "not spend it on something" .... if that something isnt better than what you have currently. In fact , that would be downright negligent ....

You do have the option to "lease that cap space" in exchange for an asset (draft pick or young talent) to a team until the following offseason which has several top tier talents in that free agent group.

19. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Make like your namesake and let it fly from downtown. Post more often.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's why I said he was unproven. He has not accomplished anything in those areas, not saying that he can't.

What we know he can do very well is managing cap space. So I am not worried that he would sign Josh Smith and tie his own hands.