1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Give Stone his credit

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Jun 24, 2023.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Okay so how many GMs would swap their roster with ours today vs after the Harden trade?

burlesk likes this.
  2. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

There are teams that haven't been desirable for 10+ years. We did it in 3. You ungrateful smuck

3. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

People just won't give our GM credit

4. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

yea thats how the draft works

Thats how punting season after season works. Youre learning

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Oh so you wanted to build through collecting mid vets to get some first round exits for a few years and call that a plan? Build around Wall and Olidipo.

6. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Right. They can't complain about losing or having the worst record, but then say we got "lucky" getting all this young talent. No, we did things the right way rebuilding. The organization was patient even when these idiots unfairly critized them. San Antonio did the SAME thing, but somehow they're look at as geniuses lol. That Harden trade was BRILLIANT for us. Stone low key robbed Brooklyn

Salvy likes this.
  7. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Bottom feeders? Lol. Eason was a STEAL. KMJ is solid role player. You guys are this delusional or just refuse to give Stone his credit?

persian hoopa and cheke64 like this.
  8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

phase 1 I give him an B+

I was against trading Allen away. if we signed him to the same contract the next year we could've trading him for multiple picks (or just kept him), instead of unloading him to dump prince's salary.

I was against moving lever for oladipo. again a salary dump move, but the next year oladipo was worth nothing and Allen was traded by the pacers for a pick.

I also think he waited an entire year too long to trade wood, gordon, and fire Silas.

stone said he had a trad lined up with OKC to move up to the 6th pick to grab sengun but ended up trading for their later pick to get him outside the lotto... I was high on sengun (still am), and it was a great trade to grab him there. however, if you had a chance to move up to #6 in that draft they should've done it and it shouldn't have been for sengun. Wagner or giddey could've been great next to jalen (and Jarrett Allen) to start the rebuild.

however, he drafted really well at the top of the draft. jalen, jabari, sengun, and Eason look like they will all pan out which is amazing. I would bet on amen too. however it doesn't appear he drafted well with later picks such as tyty, JC, or garuba. I think at this point I would've much rather have 3 future firsts for trades rather than drafted at those spots.

phase 2 is incomplete but so far he's off to an A+ start:

1. new coach: Ime and his staff are A+ hires
    2. draft: Amen and Cam is an A+ draft night. time will tell if those players live up to the hype, but as of the time of the draft given current perceptions of these guys as prospects, its a home run.
    3. FA: incomplete
    4. consolidation trades: incomplete

I think I can give stone some extra credit for being a new GM and learning the role during phase 1. he made some mistakes as he was never an assistant gm or on the basketball side of things at all before. its possible he's actually improving in the role now during phase 2.

burlesk and rocketchamp like this.
  9. topfive

topfive CF OG

I think we should wait until we win 25-30 games before we start fellating the front office.

10. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

I'll bite, and list the teams that wouldn't.

San Antonio
    Boston
    OKC
    Denver
    Milwaukee
    Miami
    Sacramento
    Orlando
    Golden State
    Memphis
    Cleveland
    New York
    LA Lakers
    and I'm 50/50 on Phoenix and Philly

The real issue isn't Stone's fault, but those picks going to OKC from here on out are cement shoes to this team's ability to climb out of the abyss.

topfive and fchowd0311 like this.
  11. Salvy

Salvy Member

jerryclark has no idea what rebuilding is, he thinks rebuilding is staying mediocre and recycling has been players like Harden....

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think it’s important to remember that Stone hasn’t even proven that he can build a roster yet. Let’s see what happens this offseason before we anoint the architect of the worst 3-yr records in NBA history.

I think we can agree that Stone has drafted well with his picks. I think that’s all we can safely say at this point. If he hits a home run in trade and free agency, I’ll be ready to admit that he’s proven the doubters (myself included) wrong. If we win 35 games next year, that’s some pretty good vindication. But until then I think Stone’s got some work to do.

#32 Aruba77, Jun 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
    clos4life and MettaWorldPete like this.
  13. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

I gotta slow you down before you bust out the hyperbole, the Process Sixers from 2013 to 2016 won 19, 18, and 10 games in three full seasons, at least the year the Rockets won 17 games was in a shortened season.

This team's been miserable, but not that miserable

Corrosion, Deckard and Aruba77 like this.
  14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They're saying this is what I would've done but b****ed the past 3 years. Salty Morey fans, they're just better than everybody

rocketchamp likes this.
  15. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

It’s close but I’d take our roster over Orlando’s.

16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

The point of a rebuild is to put yourself in a POSITION to be successful. We are there

17. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

22-60
    20-62
    17-55

Let's see our young players actually do something in the league first before we celebrate Stone ...

18. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

60 million in cap space, hiring Udoka, drafting well the last 3 years etc...You didn't know any of this happened?

19. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Rockets Fans wanted a $200 Million Dollar BrickFest

PG John Wall
    SG Victor Oladipo
    SF Caris Levert
    PG/PF Ben Simmons
    C Jarrett Allen

20. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Rockets Fans wanted a $200 Million Dollar BrickFest

PG John Wall