1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Give It Forward] Please help my best friend's dad!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ChievousFTFace, Mar 29, 2013.

1. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Hey guys,

My best friend's dad has MS and suffered a heart attack in February of this year. He was dropped from his medical coverage in December due to a billing discrepancy. He will be eligible for Medicare in June.

Right now he got stuck with a $65k hospital bill. He's currently meeting with the hospital to have some of this debt forgiven due to his MS and being confined to a wheelchair. His last employment was with the City of Houston, but he was laid off in Dec 2011 due to budget cuts.

Please take the time to read his full story below on the charity page.

Link: http://www.giveforward.com//fundraiser/z142/pleasehelpwithluissotoiiunpaidmedicalbills

He's a native Houstonian and a longtime Rockets fan. His family is very active in the community and have always helped others in need. He's had a rough hand dealt to him, but is feeling better now that he's had the treatment. He just has to get by until June.

If you guys can collectively help out with $5k by July, I pledge to run a 5k in a Turbo costume and do a backflip on video at the finish line to post on here. If you can't donate, please forward it along to any family and friends that can help. Any amount helps, big or small. Be sure to write clutchfans in the donation details so I can keep a tally.

Proof of ability:
    [​IMG]

Thank you,
    ChievousFTFace

Disclaimer: Clutch, I sent you an email a few days ago asking for permission to post this. If there are any issues, please feel free to lock or contact me @ HoustonRockets1981@yahoo.com.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

While I don't know the recipient of the donations, I do know ChievousFTFace personally and can vouch for him. He's not the type to run a scam or anything, so (FWIW) I think this is a legit and noble cause that he is undertaking.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I know this guy as well. Great person and this request is legit.

I also know a bit about MS. My grandmother's sister had it, and my ex-girlfriend had it. It's a nasty disease that slowly debilitates a person's control over their body. There were times when I had to carry my ex out of public places because her legs simply wouldn't work.

Stress can make MS worse. And I imagine being suddenly 60k in the hole while being unemployed is very stressful.

So if you can help Chievous' friend's dad with his monetary quandary, I encourage you do to so, even if it's just a few bucks. It will actually contribute to his health and well-being.

1 person likes this.
  4. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Gave what I could right now, best of luck with the endeavor.

1 person likes this.
  5. ChievousFTFace

Thank you Tam! I really appreciate your generosity.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

How's the fundraising going?

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

But you have to promise to do the CHIEVOUS Free Throw face, too, man. :eek: I'll give MORE for that.

Good luck! :cool:

8. ChievousFTFace

Started off ok, but times are tough for everybody. We're probably going to do a charity poker tournament and raffle in the next few weeks so I'll shoot the details to anybody that's interested. It'll be in Houston.

[​IMG]

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Impressive backflip ability. I would break my neck trying to do that. Good luck with the fundraising!

1 person likes this.
  10. ChievousFTFace

LOL wouldn't try that at home! I was a competitive gymnast from the age of 3 to 16. Of course, it's not as easy at 31!

11. ChievousFTFace

Update: We've broken $2k. The hospital is giving Luis the runaround as far as lowering/forgiving some of his debt. I'm trying to get him some legal help on this as it's standard for the disabled to have some debt forgiven. Either way it's frustrating and stressful for him.

We're still organizing the poker tournament and raffle. I will get some Rockets related items for the raffle and post here later.

Thank you again to anybody on here that's donated! For anybody that can spare a few bucks, your generosity is appreciated. Please remember to put Clutchfans in the donation so I can keep a tally!

12. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

ChievousFTFace, when I get some money in my account, already consider my donation done.

1 person likes this.
  13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

glad you bumped--missed this the first time through

1 person likes this.
  14. ChievousFTFace

[​IMG]

Scrounged up a few items I have at this house. I have more items to sell at my parents (bobble heads and water bottles). Gonna set up something auction style. All proceeds will go to the charity (You'll donate straight to the site and I'll get you the item).

In this picture:
    1. Hakeem/Clyde/Horry plaque.
    2. Autographed Hakeem plaque.
    3. Autographed Hakeem All-Star weekend card.
    4. Autographed Clyde All-Star weekend card.
    5. 2 Autographed Clyde cards.
    6. 2 Autographed Hakeem cards.
    7. Autographed Kenny Smith card.
    8. Autographed Scott Brooks card.
    9. Autographed Pete Chilcutt card.
    10. 1994 championship keychain still in the wrapper.
    11. 2 Rockets caps with suction cups.
    12. 2 tickets to a 1999 rockets game (rox v blazers)

Let me know if you want details of specific items and I'll do my best to provide. You can email me with questions at houstonrockets1981@yahoo.com.