1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Girls Gone Wild: The movie

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Old School, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Old School

Old School Member

File this in the WTF? category.

by Gary Susman
    Entertainment Weekly

MGM is going wild. The studio has purchased the feature film rights to ''Girls Gone Wild,'' the popular home video series that features everyday women flashing the camera at ''party till you puke'' events like spring break in Florida or Mardi Gras in New Orleans. While the racy tapes, sold on infomercials, are unrated, the movie will be a fiction feature with an R rating, according to the Hollywood Reporter. If it's a hit, it'll be the first installment of a new franchise for the studio.

Joe Francis, creator of the home video series, will serve as executive producer on the movies. He told the Reporter that MGM convinced him it was ''the right place to go right now with a chain of franchise pictures,'' citing the studio's success with the soon-to-be-sequelized ''Legally Blonde'' and ''Barbershop.''

Francis said the first ''Girls'' movie will tell the story of a group of college coeds vacationing in Panama City, Fla. ''It's going to be a fictionalized version of 'Girls Gone Wild,' with love stories and everything in between,'' he told the Reporter. ''We will take elements of the core product and bring it to the silver screen, which we all know takes a hell of a lot more creativity. And at the end of the day, all I want is a great movie. I don't need the money and would never want a piece of garbage with my name on it.'' No, he's not kidding.

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Sounds like p*rn to me.

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I wonder if my wife will go see that with me.

4. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Kind of off topic, but I wonder how daddy reacts when he sees where his daughter's "book money" is going...

#4 AntiSonic, Oct 4, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2002
  5. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Wait a minute... I think this movie was called "Crossroads" and starred Britney Spears. :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, this sounds like a chick flick masquerading as a soft-core p*rn movie. Think about it. A bunch of girls vacationing, learning life's lessons the hard way, sharing their feelings, getting involved in asanine love triangles, making googlie-eyes at drunken frat boys, having pillow fights, bailing each other out of jail, hugging each other when they're down, etc. Total chick flick. I was once burned by "For Love of the Game" and the notion that it was a sports movie and not a complete and utter chick flick (with scary Scientologist woman Kelly "Take me to your leader" Preston). I'm not gonna fall for that trick again with this movie, thank you very much....

6. drapg

drapg Member

even worse (since I don't have children)... imagine seeing your sister or cousin on one of those videos... I would have to poke my eyes out and end up in the fetal position crying for the rest of my life!

7. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I disagree. I think it is soft-core p*rn masquerading as a chick flick.

8. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Sounds like this'll be the worst movie in film history. I guess we can kiss MGM good bye. One movie can break a studio. The guy who wrote "The Deer Hunter" wrote another film shortly after his success. The movie was a total flop and it bankrupted UA.

"Girls Gone Wild" sounds like "MGM Gone Dead."

9. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Like the Bud Light commercial where the guy is telling a story about a hot chick he met in Vegas and he describes a tatoo on her back and one of the friends say "Kelly" or something like that and he says yeah and the guy says - that's my sister! :eek: :D

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was my first impression. If they really wanted to make a chick flick movie and hoped that it was successful as a chick flick movie, I doubt they would name it after a series of videos designed solely for guys to ogle drunk women.

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

When can I reserve a ticket?:D

I'm not a big fan of the GGW videos, they get boring pretty fast and most of those chicks aren't up to par. But this sounds interesting, the girls will be proffesional actors or models, maybe not famous ones but they will be hot, and isn't that what's really important. . .

12. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Perhaps, but it might be a ruse to get men to see the movie. Since they know men won't willingly see chick flicks, they title it something different (and create buzz around the "party" aspect). When the film does comes out, every guy will see it and get duped. The damage will be done. As word of mouth gets around via unhappy males, men will stop seeing it, but women will go, therefore giving it a healthy mix of viewing from both sexes (which wouldn't be the case if it were titled, oh, say, "Steel Magnolias"). Men will grumble and complain, but the movie will have made its money (and let's face it, that is the underlining factor here).

I was suspicious about this statement:
    Granted, that statement is not much to go on, and I'm probably just being overly cautious. However, in my opinion, group of ONLY girls + love story = recipe for chick flick.

Before, I used "For Love of the Game" as an example of chick flick bait-and-switch. Other good examples: "Coyote Ugly" (PRIME example here), "Pearl Harbor," "Princess Bride" (great movie), "The Wedding Singer," "Blue Crush" (yes, it was billed as a "girl power" movie), and "Jerry Maguire" (but it's about sports! Uh... right?).

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Another plot driven mellodrama just in time for the oscars.:rolleyes:

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wouldn't Princess Bride be an example of a non-chick flick movie (comedy in this case) masquerading as a chick-flick rather than a chick-flick movie masquerading as something else (softcore p*rn, in the case of GGW)?

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

worst movie ever

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If it's about a bunch of girls on spring break getting drunk, naked, and laid every night I'm all for it.