1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Girls beat up Iran cleric

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by durvasa, Sep 20, 2012.

1. durvasa

durvasa Member

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/20/world/meast/iran-hijab-fisticuffs/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

[rquoter]
    He told one of the girls to cover up, the report said.

"She responded by telling me to cover my eyes, which was very insulting to me," Beheshti said. So he asked her a second time to cover up and also to put a lid on what he felt was verbal abuse.

She hit the man of the cloth, and he hit the ground.

"I don't remember what happened after that," he said. "I just felt her kicks and heard her insults."
    [/rquoter]

2. pirc1

pirc1 Member

Should have kicked him in the nuts. Way to go.

3. sammy

sammy Member

Pwnt. A lot of vented up frustration released.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm afraid there will be repercussions for those girls.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

haha!

Btw this (minus the physical attack) happens all the time. It's routine to hear "cover your eyes!!" or "how did you know I need to cover up?".

6. sammy

sammy Member

Aren't men allowed a slight gaze? I believe you can look for a second and then proceed to look down :grin:

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Beating someone up in this instance shouldn't be congratulated. I applaud their desire to gain gender rights equality but I doubt this action helps in that regard.

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Member

I feel like the circumstances here are maybe giving them a free ticket for assault? If we took this same action and put it into an American circumstance, i believe the favor will flip.

my american version of the story:

American christian priest: Ma'am, your clothes are very revealing to go to church, could you possibly put on a sweater or long sleeve shirt please?

Girl: PERV! STOP LOOKING AT MY GOODIES! If it bothers you so much, look away!!

Priest: Ma'am, please. I feel you are dressed inappropriately to be going to church, and I do not appreciate you calling me that, so could you please not call me that again?

**Girl proceeds to beat up priest for asking her to cover up when on their way to church**

**Priest gets out of hospital 3 days later**

Priest: I do not want to press charges on these girls, I just hope that my actions can help the dress code become more appropriate for church goers.

If you read the article, that is what is portrayed in the story. Is the story biased towards one or the other, most likely. I am merely going off what is in the story.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

LCAhmed, the priest has no business telling the girl what to wear or not.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

So someone should get beat for their words? ATW are you secretly a Muslim?

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Free speech includes the right to express dissatisfaction with a female's immodesty.

12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Haha no I don't think it quite works that way. I think the idea is if you MISTAKENLY catch a glimpse and you look away, then you don't receive the divine Islamic neg rep. From hadith and not Quran, IIRC.

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

Free speech or legal code?

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, they shouldn't.

Note that I did not applaud the action nor did I say that someone should get beat up for their words.

However, I also think that young women should not be harassed because of what they wear.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I disagree. In the 'Priest' example, if the girl (or anyone) is wearing something inappropriate for church, the Priest has every right to let her know.

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I want to congratulate this woman for kicking that corrupt, treasonous, perverted sack of ish in the absence of even remotely appropriate legal redress. I'm sure she would happily accept the consequences of her crime if he also faces the consequences of his crimes.

17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Btw, this is not the equivalent of a priest. This is more like the equivalent of a judge and unfrotunately he will have plenty of friends to help him "not mind the public prosecutor" pursuing this.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

If it is in the church, yes, but in both the real case and the "priest" example, I understood it as having happened in public (the priest just said "to go to church" in the example).

19. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Member

What crimes? The story states the Cleric told the girls who were on their way to pray at a mosque, that they were dressed inappropriately to go to the mosque. If he is the Cleric of that mosque, shouldn't he be able to advice someone that they are inappropriately dressed to go to said mosque?

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He was on his way to the mosque. They weren't. And it happened in public.