1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ginobili or Dirk

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sofine81, Jun 24, 2005.

Tags:
?

Who is better?

1. Manu

45.6%
  2. Dirk

54.4%
  1. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

My brother-in-law told during the finals game last night that he thought Manu was better than Dirk. Im not a Dirk fan, but I know that Dirk is better than Manu.
    So I told him I would start a poll and lets see who comes out on top.

After some thought I figured this would be interesting since they are both foreign players who have impacted the American game.

2. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Dirk for me

3. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Manu. Both are good floppers. But Manu is a winner. :cool:

4. SupermanSK

SupermanSK Contributing Member

Manu for sure.....Dirk sucks

5. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I think Dirk is a better individual player but Manu is a winner some people have that knack for winning..

J

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Dirk is a superstar you can build a team around.
    Manu is a player you use to build a team around a superstar.

Not every team needs a Dirk.
    Many teams need more than a Manu.

7. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

Are you saying if Dirk played with TD he would not be a "winner" too? :confused:

8. slickvik69

slickvik69 Contributing Member

Ginobili at least plays some semblance of defense...

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No contest. Dirk's the main guy in Dallas. Ginobili is second fiddle to Duncan. If you're playing a pickup game and you have first pick for teams, you take Dirk first.

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I hate Dirk, but he's better than Manu. Or have we all conveniently forgotten the night he dropped 53 on the Rockets?

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Well if you listened to the talking heads you'd obviously know Manu is the greatest player in the history of the world.

12. RocoRocket

RocoRocket Member

How can yall say Dirk is better than Manu? Manu can drible and drive it harder to your hole, Dirk cant do that. Manu can play crazy defense and steal your balls, Dirk doesnt do that. Manu can shoot the 3, thats all dirk can do. Last but not least, Manu is the better flopper. Nuf said, Manu is way better than Dirk.

13. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

I guess Manu was better then Dream & Shaq too, they can't really dribble either. Dirk is better then Manu, no contest. Manu is not even the best player on his own team.

14. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

All NBA fans have ADD or something: they can only remember the things that happened the game before, the series before. Dirk looked horrible in the playoffs against the Rockets for the most part and that's how we remember him. Manu looked pretty good AS A ROLE PLAYER in this championship series and everyone thinks he's the next coming of Jordan in Argentinian form.

Wow...

For a guy of his size (7 feet), Dirk can dribble and drive "hard to your hole" very very well. In fact, the assumption that all Dirk does is camp out on the 3 pt line is WAY off (he does shoot a better percentage from just about everywhere for his career than Manu does, BTW). He plays a decent post game, has a very good midrange shot, and can drive it hard "to your hole" once he feels the need to get on the FT line. Oh, he also beats Manu from there too, despite the fact that most big men are worse than little men from the charity stripe. He gets more rebounds (taller, even though Ginobili is a decent rebounding guard), more blocks, and isn't too shabby on the steals front either, avging just over 1 per game. Oh, and if it wasn't for a certain man named Tim Duncan clogging the middle, he wouldn't look nearly as good on D. He's not a great on the ball defender, but plays the passing lanes extremely well. If it weren't for TimmyD erasing his mistakes, we would see him get burned time and again.

Now those are just the stats. When you draw up a gameplan, who do you try to shutdown? Dirk is the focus of team defenses night in and night out. Ginobili was regulated to the bench for a stretch during the regular season. I just don't see how he's better than Dirk when he wasn't even on the floor half the time.

And if flopping is your criteria for determining who is a good player...I'm sure Vlade Divac is the #1 center.

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I'm surprised it is this close. How can people say a role player is better then the main guy of another team(unless that team is the hawks).
    Dirk and it is not even close.

16. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

That was my thought exactly :)

17. New Jack

New Jack Member

This is like debating whether the Pistons would have been better off with Melo rather than Tayshaun Prince.

I personally don't think a Dirk lead team nor a Manu lead team will ever win a championship. But Ginobili has proven he can be an excellent second option on a championship team. Dirk hasn't and there are a lot of players out there that are great when they are the #1 option, but are ineffective as the second option.

I think both players are in the perfect situation for themselves and that neither one of their teams would trade one for the other. Ginobili is the exact type of player the Spurs need as their second fiddle to Duncan (smart, hard-nosed, energetic) and Dirk gives the Mavs a player they can build around.

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Best player on a 58-win Western Conference team, or Ginobili? Geez.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Exactly. I think Dirk has his flaws that will prevent him from winning a ring, but the guy carries Dallas through the reg. season, and that's after losing an MVP.

20. New Jack

New Jack Member

Steve Nash is the best player on a 62 win team, but if I were to rank players, I don't know if he'd even make the top 10.