1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ginobili is a good as Shandon Anderson

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by heypartner, Oct 24, 2002.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm impressed. His defense is not quite equal, yet, but it is still preseason.

No wonder Argentina beat the US. Goes to show you that Shandon was correct about the Rockets offense. A team of Shandon's in a slick motion offense can beat NBA All-Stars.

2. verse

verse Contributing Member

ye old backhanded compliment.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

LMAO! :D A team of Shandons! Maybe like Shandon, Ginobli will be extremely good moving without the ball, especially since Shandon loves to become the Invisible Manderson.

4. B

B Contributing Member

We shouldn't be ripping Ginobili much. He is recovering from an injury and trying to learn a new system that is quite a bit different. Both of our foreign rookies, and Ginobili need another month or so before we start really judging them.

B

5. heypartner

B,

How are we ripping him? Shandon Anderson was a highly regarded role player for two finals teams. He was a 2nd rounder like Gino. They are both athletic slashers who excel in ball movement offenses that have superstars. And their jumpers are almost identical.

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

LMAO!!!

:D

7. B

B Contributing Member

I think Gino has more potential than Anderson, and I really could care less about Gino. I just would like to see the foreign rookies get a little more leeway before we start making silly comparisons. Gasol didn't really come on strong until the first or second month of the season last year. Sometimes I guess I can't read you HeyP, but I feel you are being sarcastic in your description of Anderson. Yes, they are both slashers, but Gino will be a better shooter than Anderson in time IMHO.

B

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Were we overdue for a Spurs fans vs. Rockets fans thread? Great. These are fun to read. :)

9. heypartner

You're right. All these athletic, driving 6'5 and 6'6 shooting guards need time to improve their shooting. We have a habit of saying that is what's wrong with the NBA...the athletic shooting guards just want to drive and slam, and don't practice enough fundamentals like shooting. All rookies should get more leeway, especially 19yr olds like Larry Hughes was. I still have high hopes for him to shoot better. He's still only 23, so we should give him time. Maybe by the time Hughes is 25yrs old like Ginobili, he'll be able to shoot like Gino.

10. B

B Contributing Member

I'm not saying to give him time to improve his shooting, I'm saying give him time to recover from his injury and learn the Spurs system and the NBA style of play. Just take a look at Boki, he is supposed to be a great shooter, but he has been terrible shooting wise in the games he has played so far, but I think he'll be fine in a month or less.

Just for the record I am not a Spurs fan.

B

11. heypartner

Boki was recruited as a pure shooter. He better show it pretty quickly. The slashing ability was something that surprised Rudy. Further, Boki is 6'9-6'10. Why are you comparing a small forward to a 6'5 shooting guard?? further, why are you comparing him to a 7'1 small forward last year.

Can we stop the comparisons that don't make any more sense than comparing Rashard Lewis to Derek Anderson?

Gino doesn't have to show great Wally-style shooting, because he looks more athletic. I think the comparisons should only be made to 6'5' 6'6 shooting guards...don't you?? He is definitely not a Wally pure-shooter type of shooting guard or a slashing/shooting Brent Barry or Rickey Pierce is he?? I think you are being unfair to Ginobili by expecting him to be a 6'9 Peja who can leap.

I like the Derek Anderson, Shandon Anderson, Larry Hughes comparisons better. Not the defender of Shandon and not quite the speed or leaping of Larry. Somewhere in between. That's a solid role player. If he can add a great shot to that, he's deadly, no question.

12. mav3434

mav3434 Member

Where is Ni - kos? Where is Ni - kos?
    Dor - mez vous? Dor - mez vous?

13. B

B Contributing Member

I don't know why I'm even going on with this... All I was trying to say with the Boki reference was that players need time to get into the rhythm of the game. Sure, there style of shooting may be different or they may have a 6 in to 14 in difference in height, but learning a new system, a new style of play (no US college experience) are the constants I'm comparing (and coming off an injury in Boki and Gino's case). Who knows what could account for the poor preseason shooting? It could be nerves, it could be stress, maybe it is the injury they are trying to overcome. In no way have I analyzed the techniques and styles of how each player shoots and why they may be having a tough time in preseason because of the way they shoot the ball.

Heypartner, if you want to trash me just cause you are bored spend time looking at what I write. Look at the generic comparisions I'm making. The things I'm comparing could be said about a 5'2" PG or a 7'6" C.

B

14. Nikos

Nikos Member

Lol MAV.

Heypartner I have seen Shandon Anderson and its a fair comparison from an athletic standpoint. The other day against the Jazz Shandon made a nice DRIVE to the bucket--however Shandon did not DRIBLLE the ball in his drive. He made a sharp cut and went straight to the basket with all his force and pumped in the air and made a nice layup with Kirelenko trailing.

Here is the difference between Manu and Shandon. Manu can create much better than Shandon. Manu is a more crafty player--he knows HOW to get his shot and he knows how to create for his teamates. Basically he has a much better FEEL for the game than Shandon Anderson--you can tell--or at least you will be able to tell when the guy gets some more NBA experience.

Manu can create and drive in traffic off his dribble--Shandon I don't think can do that as well. Shandon Anderson can't create for his teamates. Manu also I beleive has better hang time and body control than Shandon.

Basically athletically Manu is similiar to Hughes and Anderson--but Hughes and Anderson don't have the overall court sense I think Ginobili will eventually display when he adapts to the NBA.

I could be wrong--but by the end of the season I beleive Ginobili will show why he is a better overall PLAYER than Anderson and Larry Hughes.

15. Nikos

Nikos Member

Heypartner and others who watched the game. How did Manu do in terms of guarding Mobley? How did Mobley do guarding Manu?

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Gino reminded of Najera in a guards body. He is very active and covers his man close. I think Gino got by Cat once pretty bad but otherwise he looked pretty akward on offense.

There is no way Gino can cover Cat. Cat could have gone to the hole pretty anytime he wanted to but I could tell Cat was trying to play within the game more and get people more involved.

One thing I have to say is that Gino is very scrappy. He ran around like a chicken with his head cut out there, but he was always active.

Another example of Gino's play is kinda like Nash without the court awareness or passing ability.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Okay, I think we have a more or less complete picture now when we add in Shandon's jumpshot. Hope the Spurs fans with front row seats get some body armor. :p

18. Nikos

Nikos Member

Rockbox what makes you think Manu has no passing ability? IMO he is a very good passer for an SG and in the fourth quarter of the rockets game he had some nice passes and assists and was very much demonstrating he had good court awareness.

His shot on the other hand was awful--and flat.

#18 Nikos, Oct 24, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2002
  19. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

He is as good as Shandon. YIPPEE! Shandon is a scrub.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I never said he had no passing ability, I said he didn't have Nash's passing ability.

Gino will be a fine player but just don't see him being the star that some posters and the media has claimed he will be.