1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gilbert Arenas Blog - Manila Visit

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by engr chris, Jul 14, 2008.

1. engr chris

engr chris Member

People are crazy about basketball in the Philippines.

http://my.nba.com/forum.jspa?forumID=400032200&start=0

2. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Not a putdown, but that's a 3rd world country, they'll go crazy for Carrot Top.

3. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

A. Zero... Cool stuff. I should hang around his blog more often.

4. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Right, because the people there know who carrot top is. :rolleyes:

5. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Uh, no. Filipinos are just crazy about basketball, so when a basketball star from the biggest league in the world goes to the Philippines, they go bananas.

6. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

The NBA is hella big in the Philippines its ridiculous...

7. engr chris

engr chris Member

Philippines is basketball country. I tell you, more people will watch a regular season Laker game than the finals of World Cup. Its just sad that a Filipino has yet to play in the NBA. Maybe because we are a foot shorter than the average American. :)

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He's right about how warm and hospitable the Filipino people are. Manila is super crowded. I had no idea they were so much into basketball.

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Not a putdown but you haven't actually been able to travel there right?

10. DANgerous

DANgerous Member

what a stupid thing to say.

11. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Ignorant......

12. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Got a chance to visit the Philippines for a couple of weeks last year. Visited Cebu and Boracay. Cebu (2nd largest city after Manilla) was pretty scuzzy and poor. I got the vibe that it was dangerous, too. When the cab driver makes a point of making sure all the doors are locked before driving through a certain part of town, well, it doesn't really make me feel like it's a safe country.

Boracay was nicer, which is to be expected because it is the main tourist island. But even there clouds of diesel fumes filled the air and the undercurrent of poverty was noticeable behind the pretty facade.

Everyone was definitely crazy about basketball. I don't think I've seen more nba jerseys anywhere.

13. vmac

vmac Member

So the Philippines is a third world country and there are a lot of poor people there. Everybody knows that. Thanks for reiterating. :rolleyes:

Were your statements about how poor Filipinos are really necessary for you to be able to point out that everybody there is crazy about basketball?

14. vmac

vmac Member

second that..

and that too..

15. vlaurelio

I thought that happens everywhere

16. flipmode

flipmode Member

just be thankful the cab driver cared enough about you to lock his doors.

poverty is poverty - those who don't have will always be opportunistic to take what they can from those who do have. not just the philippines - any country in the world. even our dear precious united states.

and yes, enough with the ignorance. filipinos are hugely involved in the basketball world - we are just genetically disadvantaged with the height thing. i've played in houston area fil-am leagues - there are some baaaaaad dudes out there... and there used to be fights every week :D

17. SkipToMyLou22

SkipToMyLou22 Member

They're a third world country? But they have like the biggest mall in all of Asia. Though there are a lot of poor areas, I still thought they'd be like second or something because it's not like the whole country is suffering from poverty, though a lot are.

Haha yeah I know heaps of filos that play basketball and most of them are pretty good, but also somewhat short xP. Lol this one school in like a pretty asian populated area in Sydney - most of the basketball team are filo. Yeah they're crazy about basketball, who isn't =D

18. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

1. No I haven't visited but read and heard from others. No intention to visit. fadeaway's recollection is basically the same general stuff I hear, like kids digging through garbage dumpsites in Manila. I get the feeling the people are starstruck cause not much happens there, kinda like H-Town when a big event or star comes through.

2. maybe it's inappropriate to say someone's furniture in their home is in poor condition out loud, but that doesn't change the fact the furniture is indeed in poor condition (talking about peeling, torn, stained, smells bad poor condition).

19. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

maybe because Philippine was a former us colony?

20. vlaurelio

Just like johnty said, maybe it has something to do with being an american colony.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_national_basketball_team
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Basketball_Association
    The simplest explanation for me is Filipinos are into basketball just as Filipinos are into dancing.