1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Getting toned for the summer (advice)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NateNate, Mar 28, 2010.

1. NateNate

NateNate Member

OK here is the deal: My Miami trip is approximately three months away and i need to start now! i want to transform my body! now of course this is a long term goal but three months is enough time to see a good change. I am about 5'10 165lbs; sounds skinny but all my fat is in my chest and stomach, I originally wanted to focus hard on my chest cause i don't want no sign of man boobs while out there! but i need to add muscle all round (arms need help) Would the best way to focus on fat loss in chest be by doing light weight and high reps? and to add muscle for the rest of my muscles just use low reps heavy weight correct? Also the main reason for this thread is i am looking for a book that is very detailed with a routine that breaks down day to day what to eat and what exercises to do. Something like a journal book not just and article insert. ? any suggestions? I believe that would help me most because i need to something to stick to on a daily basis. Its sort of like a motivational and guidance thing to keep me focused since i don't think i can afford a personal trainer. Thanks

(cool story bro; i know) ;)

2. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

3 months = perfect timing to do p90X workout. Look into it.

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Don't just focus on your chest so much, your body will get used to the workout and you will have minimal gains. There is a thread on P90x, I would suggest something like that for where you are at. Something that covers all areas, will lean you out and incorporates muscle confusion. Don't get caught up working just specific parts of your body, you'll have far better results with a complete program. If not P90, jump online and google a full body workout, you will find all kinds of ideas

4. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Eat less move around more. If you're not pouring sweat, you are not working!

5. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

ANYTHING you ever want to know about exercising is here...

www.bodybuilding.com

TONS of articles, check out the forums too alot of insight there. Don't let the "bodybuilding" part fool you, its for everyone

6. NateNate

NateNate Member

yeah my brother is on the religiously... i have surfed on there a few times. I am looking for a complete layout though of everything day to day from exercises to food consumption.

7. Classic

Classic Member

In three months? For free? Lol. If you just want to be told what to do, hire a personal trainer.

8. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Oh thats on there haha, you just have to find it. Just sign up for the forums on there and ask your question again and the experts will come flying in

9. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Done it, not so great.

BEST WORKOUT (and I've done a bunch):

5x5s + Running + Abs.

All of these do 5x5 meaning pick a weight that you can do 5 reps on the 1st one, then repeat 4 more times (doing however many reps you can do).

When you can do a true 5x5 (meaning 5 reps of the weight 5 times) move up 5-10 lbs and repeat the cycle.

Basically it's:
    Monday:
    Decline Press + Bench Press
    Curls, Hammers, Preachers (pick 2 of these 3)
    Tris exercise (pick your favorite)
    Then do a HIIT (high intensity interval training, google if you need to know), for 10 minutes

Tues:
    Squats
    Glute/Ham Raises
    Calf exercise
    Shoulder Press
    Then do an ab exercise (pick something you can do)

Weds: Break

Thurs:
    Repeat Monday

Friday:
    Repeat Tues

Sat-Sun: REST

If you add this to something like Syntha-6 (protein powder) and just a reasonable diet (cut out Chips/Soda and try to limit fast food and get a gallon of water in you daily), you will see gains FAST.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Just wondering... does Bowflex really work?

11. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I believe it works with proper diet and consistent exercise, it is essentially taking the place of having a whole gym of stuff.

As long as you do a correct workout with proper form and have a good diet, of course it works just as well as just using weights.

12. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

THIS! :)

14. NateNate

NateNate Member

So this has worked for you? sounds interesting.. never heard of the 5x5s.. would you recommend this for three months? just switch up the exercises every know and then huh?

15. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

You followed it step for step? Did all the workouts without quitting on them? I'm doing it right now and I would say it's a GREAT workout. Maybe it's not for some people.

16. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

17. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

1. Drink tons of water.
    2. Eat 5-6 smaller meals a day.
    3. Work your legs out like crazy.
    4. Do your research on proper workout routines. There is no best routine. Watch youtube for proper technique on exercises (that you aren't familiar with) so you don't injure yourself.
    5. If you really want to lean down faster than normal, you have to put in the time. Try walking for 30-60 minutes on a steep inclined treadmill a few times a week.

18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Dude, if you have a chance to do p90x, do it. It will work, especially for someone who has rarely worked out. It covers everything you need including diet if you choose to do so.

19. ChievousFTFace

Your back must be tiny. You forgot the king of all exercises. In fact, your workouts include no back exercises at all.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8-O_MT72rck&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8-O_MT72rck&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

To the OP... if you don't always have access to a gym, here's a workout I've done a decent amount of while working and staying in hotels.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8-O_MT72rck&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8-O_MT72rck&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

20. ChievousFTFace

Last video should have been this:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I7HCrrY653A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I7HCrrY653A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>