1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Getting to know Marcus Morris - Your new Franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jun 23, 2011.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

CXbby,

+1 for calling this a week ago.

You made some bold predictions here. Needless to say: we all hope you are right.

Good stuff, my man.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, he was 6-9 with a very good post game. So he'd be quite a waste as a college 3. The problem is that I believe teams question his ability to transition out of that. In that sense, it makes him somewhat of a "project" despite his relatively advanced college career.

3. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

By the way, I forgot to make a shout out to the most important part of this post. Great post OP, even though I don't agree with everything you said, I really like how you put so much thought and so much effort into scouting Morris as a player and producing this post.

Good job.

4. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Someone has turned over a new leaf. Last night during the draft, you were calling Morris a b**** and acting all whiny.

5. raj87

raj87 Member

Morris looks as though he could have an Adrian Dantley type game in the NBA. Granted, Dantley was a SG/SF who stood 6'5", however Morris has the potential to bully SF's in the same fashion Dantley bullied SG's. Sometimes being a "tweener" has it's advantages.

6. liveguy

liveguy Member

http://www.thedreamshake.com/2011/6...-the-houston-rockets-and-pondering-the-future

Marcus Morris: No. 14
    To Describe Marcus Morris

The gamble with Marcus Morris -- chosen with the fourteenth pick, one not normally reserved for standout players -- does not lie in his talent. I saw Morris play firsthand. He pissed me off, frankly. I rooted for Missouri, he played for Kansas, and by the end of each game, I absolutely despised him ten times more than I did before tipoff. You know those players that don't seem to screw up very often? The players who keep finding new ways to stun a defense and do so repeatedly to the point it gives you a headache? They play like machines. Actually, in your mind, they are one of The Machines, waiting to wage war with the humans following the fall of SkyNet.

Think Paul Milsap when he plays at Toyota Center. Think David West whenever he plays the Rockets, regardless of the location. When those players line up against your preferred team and succeed, you hate them. It goes beyond pure dislike or anything of a mild nature.

That's how I felt about Morris, each and every time Missouri played Kansas. Even when Kansas didn't face Mizzou but was still nationally televised, I thought to myself, "I would really enjoy it if he turned in an awful performance today." But I never saw it happen, not once. In fact, if Morris ever finished with subpar numbers, it always felt like he had still played a good game. It stung me. I could not stand Marcus Morris and his consistent production.

So, why should I suddenly complain now that Morris has crossed paths and joined my favorite team?

Folks, be aware: this particular Morris twin will help the Rockets a great deal if used properly. Say this for Morris: at least the Red won't have to play against him. That's a compliment I don't use very often. Who knows -- after a few meetings down the road, I bet we would have placed him in Jason Terry company, along with West and Milsap and a cast of other Rocket-killing characters. Instead, we will get to watch him induce twitches, super-serious pouts and even loud expletives from opposing fans. That's the level of player I think he can become. A solid, yet unspectacular forward with a knack for surprising and ultimately annoying opponents on a nightly basis.

Wait, wait, no... that's it. That's the word for which I was searching. Annoying. Yes, that's perfect. Marcus Morris, to opponents, may never be the center of a game plan, but by the end of the night, more often than not, the opposition will be incredibly annoyed with him. That's just excellent.

1 person likes this.
  7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

His press conference.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PQh7irOQOZ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Not to be picky, but he's 6'7. I think he will be a solid player regardless.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Come on lee, that IS being picky. Deron Williams is 6'3. Kevin Durant is 6'11. Dwight Howard is 6'10. Those are ALL measurements in shoes. Why should Morris be treated any different?

He's 6'9.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

^what he said...I'm glad the OP has faith b/c I sure as hell don't...

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Morey on 1560: Marcus Morris will be one of our best players in time.

12. alethios

alethios Member

Thanks - if McHale can work his magic on this kid, he will be getting under people's skin night in and night out.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

lol I hope so since Morey drafted him.

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

Morey obviously doesn't know what he is talking about. Marcus Morris will be our best player, in time, period. ;)

1 person likes this.
  15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't remember him saying that about other players and he didn't say about it the other two guys they got last night. He said Monte is high risk high reward that the other kid is a rotation player. I don't remember him saying Patterson would be one of the team's best players either.

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I've been thinking about it for a while. Best comparison that I can think of?

Tougher version of this guy?
    [​IMG]

17. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Sadly our parade cannot march down main street as we have a silly train in the way.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

I disagree here. Robert Horry was an athletic freak with an extremely unpolished game coming into the NBA. He ended up being an unpolished gem for his entire career, as he basically settled into the "Shane Battier of PF" role and never bothered to improve his game.

Morris won't be half the defender that Horry was, but Horry's defense was just godly in his days in Houston before he bulked up to be a full PF. OTOH, Morris' offense might already be better developed than Horry in his prime. And has the potential to be a 20ppg scorer once settled in.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The guy seems to give a great interview. Puts a lot of thought into his answers, speaks clearly, etc. Not that that matters at all with regards to basketball skill, but it is always nice to see.

I like the pick. Suprised so many analysts, fans, etc. woudl have preferred Leonard. More of a "true" SF or not, the guy has no offensive game. Morris seems like he can defend while also bringing a solid offensive repetoire.

From the little I've seen of him, he does look like he can be a solid SF in the league, in a Caron, Pierce, Glenn Robinson type mold - hopefully as successfully as those guys, too!