1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Getting to know Alperen Sengun - your new...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jul 30, 2021.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

There were two main concerns with Sengun predraft that caused him to fall, defense and size(to play center, because he’s too slow to play pf.)

As I stated in the OP, I had a sneaking suspicion that his defense would translate much better to the NBA than expected, due to his high steal and block rate he demonstrated in the Turkish league, a tribute to his high basketball IQ. So far in preseason (and summer league), that has carried over. In preseason he has had a 1.82% steal rate (good even for a guard) and 7.9% block rate (elite for a center). It is preseason, and I don’t expect everything to 100% translate to the regular season, but I’m confident these will be his strengths, which will mitigate his defensive shortcomings.

The other concern was size. There were rumors that he was 6’9, 6’8 even. Today the nba website updated official heights measured in barefoot, which the nba required from teams since a few years ago.

https://www.nba.com/player/1630578/alperen-sengun

Sengun is listed at 6’10 barefoot, or 6’11 in shoes. This was already apparent to anyone watching the last few games, standing next to Poeltl who is a legit 7’1 and did not look overmatched.

At this point, it is clear to me that Sengun is not a bit undersized to play the 5 in the NBA, and has shown positive signs on the defensive end. Without these two perceived weaknesses, and with his bevy of well known strengths listed in the OP, Sengun is a bonafide top tier draft prospect. And it clearly shows.

#141 CXbby, Oct 16, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    aaquaa, NewAge, hakeem94 and 3 others like this.
  2. CXbby

CXbby Member

I mean, it REALLY clearly fking shows.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Get this Kid in the gym with Dream in the Off season this guy is a star he just needs a Hall of Famers touch

aaquaa, hakeem94 and MultipleSauces like this.
  4. DreamR

DreamR Member

Sengun is slowly turning Clutchfans into his personal fan club after every game he plays

He's already stolen the rookie spotlight from Green even though he was the 2nd pick and Sengun was the 16th

Ankara1923 and hakeem94 like this.
  5. DreamR

DreamR Member

Heck, I'll even settle for Scola teaching him a thing or two

bj3175 likes this.
  6. bj3175

bj3175 Member

thats this organizations problem we never bring back the guidance that comes from our past stars

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is the best player we drafted this year by a mile.

DD

Ankara1923 likes this.
  8. CXbby

CXbby Member

On a night where his top pick teammate was making history, I thought Sengun had some of the loudest plays, and they were all on the DEFENSIVE end. In the past two games, Sengun has been switched onto SGA and Dennis Schroeder, two of the quickest penetrating guards, they both tried to attack him off the dribble, and both got the ball stuffed back in their face. Sengun is also averaging 2.3 steals in 18 minutes. He's poking the ball loose left and right, he's diving for saves, he is a MENACE, on defense! Everything I said in the OP in regards to his steals and block rate translating to the nba is coming true, and how that bodes well for his defense holding up. THIS IS IMPORTANT. Because remember, defense was the entire knock on this kid. Outside of defense he is elite at everything. The rebounding is translating, the foul drawing is translating, the passing is translating. Ok, the outside shot still needs work. But he is so smart, such a basketball savant, that because they told him to focus on defense since that’s his weakness, he is turning it into a strength (with his mind) despite his physical limitations. It’s happening!

aaquaa, hakeem94, arno_ed and 5 others like this.
  9. CXbby

CXbby Member

After his first 10 games, Sengun is shooting 41.7% from 3.

“He can’t shoot” CHECK
    “He can’t play defense” CHECK

The only thing holding him back now is his coach.

aaquaa, Ankara1923, hakeem94 and 3 others like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

CXbby likes this.