1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Getting rid of rats? [pest control]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr. Brightside, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I have seen a few rats in my basement/garage area. They are big and scary looking.

I bought some high power traps called Godzilla traps and they have caught 3 of them, but I think there are still a few around. I don't really know why they are in the garage, but it seemed they just appeared during winter time for the first time in over 4 years.

Anyways, what do you suggest I do for pest control to get rid of these rats?
    I'm concerned about putting poison because I have a dog that sometimes runs into the garage.

I have already put all the dog food that was in the garage to inside my house. It seems to have decreased the sighting of any rats, but sometimes I'll see one.

Should I buy more effective rat traps like the more expensive live traps or should I just call pest control service?

Does pest control service basically just install the same traps I can buy on my own or do they provide a greater benefit that that?

Rats freak me out. Help!

2. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

someone who had rats near you may have moved away. Set a lot of traps and eventually you will get them all. Also you have to find out how they are getting in.

Don't use poison inside., The rat will just die inside a wall or something like that and then it will be all stank up in your crib.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

get a snake.

4. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

They tend to favor running along walls, so place traps in those areas if possible.

Peanut butter is considered a good bait to use.

Poison?
    Try not to because of the reason mentioned above.

I think the professionals will likely use the same things that you would use:

Pest Control

Giant Glue Board

Are the rodents big enough that they could take the trap with them?
    Tether your trap if needed.

In regards to keeping dogs and cats out of the rodent traps.
    You will have to be inventive and make the traps accessible to rodents, yet keep domestic animals out by a combination of placement and shielding.

If you use glue boards and are squeamish of the captured rodent, crease a corner so that you can easily pick the trap up with pliers or channel locks to dispose of.

5. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Play some Belle and Sebastian real loud.

6. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Pest Control service will set the traps but they will also find and close the entry holes that these damn rodents use to get into your property.

We just had a little mice problem.
    We used ABC Pest Control. It was about $600 for them to inspect and treat the entire house (we have a dog and there were no chemicals used...atleast nothing thats bad for the dog)...then its around $150/yr for annual treatment.

7. JustWannaChill

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Get a cat.

9. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Glue boards rock. My cousins used to throw them all over the house. When they caught one, they would light it on fire, throw it in a can and watch it burn.

10. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Awesome thread Man......Just what i was looking for

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Seriously we had a barn cat when I was a kid and that thing was not very good for petting (scratch the crap out of you) but would slaughter rats. Domestic cats are really under rated hunters.

12. what

what Member

You must be some kind of sissy boy. I livedonce with rats the size of squirrels. Man up! Stare them suckers down.

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Last week I saw what I thought was a humongous rat outside my bedroom. I looked closer and it was a scary looking possum. It was trying to find shelter in the cold night. If I had a way of catching it in a metal trash can, I would have doused it with lighter fluid and lit it on fire like chow yun fat described, just curious of how they sound like when on fire.

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I really hope you're just joking.

If not, there is a special place for your kind of thinking.

The Bush administration's Department of Defense.

15. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

hilarious mob reference here

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Here is the solution:

[​IMG]

17. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

What you need:

A folding chair
    Bag of Beef Jerky (or your favorite snack)
    6-pack
    Daisy air pressure pellet rifle

Sounds like a fun Tuesday night.

18. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Doesn't work at all.

I had a mice problem at my house in college.

I once caught 27 mice in a 10-day period using glue traps. Thats gotta be some kind of record.

19. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

You want to get some kind of comprehensive service, unless you're REALLY good at this kind of thing and want to keep up on it. Rats are a problem that you can get rid of over time, but it takes a while. They have a great ability to pick up on scent trails of previous rodent activity and they will do their damnedest to get back into areas where there has been activity.

Don't seal up the areas immediately--you run the risk of sealing something inside your walls, which, if it happens, turns into a waiting game for decomposition. As far as the poisoning of rodents goes, most professional services use rodenticides with extremely high LD50s (the amount that a dog or cat would have to consume to become ill)...generally the number is high enough that the dog would have to eat a ton of them, which would be an irresponsible number to put out in the first place. Bluemax is a popular product in the industry, but I'm not sure if you can buy it--it's usually best to employ a professional in your case.

Also, trimming back vegetation and trees away from the edges of the house and roofline is a good preventative measure. Good luck!

20. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

i used to live in some filthy apartments

buy those super sticky pads and lay them down

go to sleep, wake up, and find a rat stuck to the pad and still twitching

:)