1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Getting money in college

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by kramer_k, Oct 18, 2008.

Tags:
  1. kramer_k

kramer_k Member

So, one month into college and I have realized that I am sick and tired of having to ask my parents for money, telling them what I've spent it on, and never having enough to use on things I want. How did/do some of you guys make money during college?

2. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

wait tables. its good money and you get paid every day you work.

3. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I worked in campus housing while I was at OU. Paid good and they were obligated to work completely around my class schedule. It's always a smart option to find a decent on-campus part time job, if available.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I took a job in the rec center and did some undergrad research in my Jr. and Senior years. The research paid much better and actually had something to do with my career. It was like getting paid to learn which was a welcome change.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Work study.

6. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Working my butt off during the summer.

7. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I had work study at Tulane. My first job was a student ticket writer. Yeah, I wrote parking tickets... I did this for 2 years, then I got a job at Tulane's Data Communications department where I helped install computer networks on campus.

8. Hoee Ass

Hoee Ass Member

I also work in the summer. Hm, I worked as a busser/ sushi chef at some Japanese restaurant. If you really want to make some money go work at some restaurants as a waiter or busser?. Only thing is, be prepared to work unexpected hours and taking crap from people (well, according to where I work at lol).

9. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

Have you ever considered being a human guinea pig (i.e. clinical trials testing)? One can be paid considerably for spending the weekend at a medical facility.

10. Poloshirtbandit

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

the local strip club is always looking for fresh faces....

12. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

Do well in school and earn yourself some scholarships.

That, however, didn't work all that well for me because my dad would just take those and use them for tuition.

Look at it this way though, the fact that your parents are willing to help you out so that you are a little less in debt (or not at all) when you get out will help you tons when you get in the real world. It's a lot of money and they want to make sure you aren't just using it on alcohol, which if you aren't, you aren't a real college student.

After that, be a waiter. I work once a week and make close to a bill, which looks like all you are looking for.

For my soph and Junior year I sold plasma to make money. It doesn't hurt too much, and gives you time to read up in some of your classes.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Or blood or plasma. I had some friends that would donate plasma pretty regularly.

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Handjobs in the rec room.

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I got my EMT, and worked 24hr shifts on saturdays every weekend. Partied on Thursday night.

Granted I didn't work every saturday, but I did work most of them.

Also, I took a semester off and worked 100-110hrs a week every other week for a semester.

16. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

You gave handjobs for money? :confused:

17. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

hahah... and to think of all the free ones you gave ;)

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I used to buy and sell tickets one ebay using fan club presale codes. Sometimes I would miss the early Saturday starts due to long nights of drinking. But I think that whole business derailed. Oh and Hanna Montana fans parents will hate you.

19. Poloshirtbandit

Who gives money for donating blood? I've never gotten money for that. I must be doing it wrong. :confused:

20. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I used to volunteer myself for the grad students in Psychology - but only for the stuff that didn't involve ingesting anything or any proking or prodding...

more mental stuff - where i was asked to look/listen to something and analyze it...

didn't pay as well as taking the drugs - but covered the beer money every week.