1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Get Christian Wood the Hell outta here ASAP for AMAP!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Dec 28, 2021.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

cont'd from post #160

I say Eric Gordon, Wood, Theis will all be traded by the trade deadline....
    slight chance Wall as well.

Rockets will make out like bandits with all the draft picks.
    Those picks will be used in trades or moving up in the draft...
    ( pick(s) to possibly move Wall this summer )

larsv8 and burlesk like this.
  2. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Top 20 in free throw attempts but where does he rank in free throw percentage? Thank you for reminding me about another thing that pisses me off about wood. He can hit a 3 but can’t hit a free throw. Weak screens, **** defense and he can’t hit free throws. Please, get this guy outta here!

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This thread was created to dump all the negatives on Wood in order to "prove" that we should trade him. There are other threads that discuss trading guys like Gordon and Wood on the reasons about rebuilding. This thread is clearly about how "bad" Wood is and a lot of posts seem to suggest that he is THE reason why we are so bad defensively.

A lot of the so-called "character issues" can be said about a lot of players. But Wood is being singled out as if he is one of the few bad guys in the leagues and should be off the team ASAP or the young guys would get bad influence by him.

I am no fan of Wood and am neutral to trading him or keeping him. I think he is an above average role player and is just entering his prime. It's fine to get future values for him. But getting rid of him because he is "bad" is just blind hate. And I think a lot of the hate is herd thinking. When everyone is piling on, you begin to believe it.

4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No. I've been all about dealing Wood...aside from his issues. From a strategic standpoint relating to his future contract/selling high (which may have passed)

But, after the other night...enough was enough.

His attitude is reflected in his game. Not willing to do any of the "little things"...

And this is contagious to a team in it's infancy.

He'll likely thrive in a defined role as a third option, in a place where he's held accountable...where they can mask his shortcomings, but here...wrong situation.

Dobbizzle and Stephen_A like this.
  5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Why would they trade Theis? They wanted a defender in the paint and some toughness to pair with Wood. They also wanted a vet who was professional and could set an example for the young players, which every team needs. Unfortunately playing Theis and Wood hasn’t worked as the lanes are clogged for the guards. I agree with most on this post that Wood needs to go but there’s no reason trading Theis if Wood goes. He can still hold down the paint and serviceable on offense as a starter or bench. I believe Wood is holding back Green and Porter. With him gone the emphasis would be on the guards playing off Sengun. The offense would be less stagnant since they don’t have to pass to the Wing or short corner with Wood holding the ball for 4-5 seconds anymore.

burlesk and aaquaa like this.
  6. hakeemthagreat

He's our best big and puts up decent numbers. How many games has he missed this year due to "bad ankles"?

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Many players don't do the little things. In fact, I'd say that those who do are in the minority. That's why we love a guy like that when we get one.

My point is that Wood is not a "bad" player. He has some good qualities that can help any team. In fact, I am quite sure that we would be a worse team without him. (But winning is not our priority, so that's fine.) Trade him if we get good return. Keeping him is not a disaster like some of you think. Just don't overpay him after this season.

34to11, D-rock, burlesk and 3 others like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, we are also the worst team in the West with him, a Top 3 worst team.

I would say Eric Gordon won us more games this season than Wood did.

His mental mistakes look horrendous pretending to be a veteran out there.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The org doesn't care, and neither do the players because of it.

If we were trying to win, I suspect we would see a much different Wood.

DD

10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Is the thread hateful and fueled with anger and resentment? Yes. But We aren’t talking about any other player and focused on the topic which is #35. But i think fans such as myself are frustrated with watching a player who has the talent but lack the character and willingness to be successful and win. I have been very critical of the way he plays since there’s so much potential but what is holding him back is the character—the state of mind—the spirit.

The way he plays, the body language/mannerisms on the court and bench, combined with his comments are disconcerting and supports the criticisms that he doesn’t have a pure spirit to win. This is further supported by his draft scouting reports which characterized him as unprofessional and lacking in effort not to mention poor shot selection. Not much has changed other than there haven’t been reports of him consistently missing meetings or workouts as he did coming out of UNLV.

On the court he takes poor shots in critical situations such as long 2’s or 3’s without letting the offense run a halfcourt set. The lack of effort guarding bigs or perimeter players and consistently getting lost on defense. The pounding of the chest or showboating after every dunk instead of running back. The inconsistent play and lack of aggression getting pushed around for a big. This is why we are frustrated. All these things then beg the question is this guy good enough? Is he a starter in this league? Is he a major piece to this rebuild?

IvanLCPM and Plowman like this.
  11. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Man falls from the roof of a skyscraper. While passing each floor on the way down, he happily remarks: "Everything is fine so far."

burlesk and Tuckankhamun like this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Theis is desired by contending teams and he is under contract control at a mild rate.

Rockets are the only team that seems him unplayable because....well Sengun. Sengun
    doesn't shoot 3's anymore.

Plus Rockets are probably taking back contracts in Eric Gordon/Wood deals. Probably a bum Center. Why have Theis plus DJ Wilson type bums on the bench. Less is more.

13. alethios

alethios Member

The Rockets have been a guard-centric team for quite some time, since Harden was signed, and have de-valued the center position, especially in the MDA era. So it's not surprising that Wood who's not a traditional center is tapped with playing the 5 because he's not a good 4 either. Wood definitely needs an elite guard to be successful offensively and tough-minded PF to make up for him defensively.

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We are definitely trying to win, we just aren't that good. The team I watch out there is not a team trying to lose. I do see a stubborn coach, but we can't help having a stubborn coach.

The win streak should be indicative that we are trying to win, but the Rockets just suck.

javal_lon likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Link?

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude he is #3 in defensive rebounds and top 10 in total rebounds how is that not impressive?

#176 jiggyfly, Dec 30, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If we were trying to win, our best NBA player John Wall would be playing.

DD

18. RoadWarrior

RoadWarrior Member

Agree 100%.

Sengun is going to have his turn in the barrel a couple years from now when they’re all screaming ‘TRADE SENGUN!’ because they’re obsessed with some college player.

34to11 likes this.
  19. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

He's alright for this phase of the rebuild...

20. a time to chill