1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Get Christian Wood the Hell outta here ASAP for AMAP!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I personally don’t mind if we win OR lose, as long as there is player development. I think ChristWood hinders that (and I also think he’s unlikely to develop further on our team so it’s probably time to move on).

2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I’ve never seen a fan base turn on someone like they have with him. He has some obvious limitations, especially on defense, but he is far from the reason why this is a bad team. I’m not sure he can be a true number 1 on a really good team, and I wouldn’t want to pay him a max contract, but there’s nothing wrong with him as a supporting piece, and that’s what he was supposed to be here. Pair him up with a better supporting cast and I think he’d look a lot better, he’s just not physical enough to be the lone big on a team that wants to constantly go small.

D-rock, RoadWarrior and Easy like this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Never underestimate the shortsightedness of NBA GMs. Someone will bite if we're dangling.

xaos, roxallways, Emtenndo and 2 others like this.
  4. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Agreed his return won’t be amazing when guys like turner sabonis and grant are on the market. I’d think that portland for nurkic and 2 picks would be the move since they’re desperate and nurkic is done/gone at end of season.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Who doesn’t like Wood?! - that’s what she said

Tacko fall and Rubio broke acl please.

6. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Couple issues with wood being bad at defense.

one he’s 26 his potential should be more actualized and he’s been on enough teams to understand defensive rotations

two he’s the sole big. They are the backbone to all team defense. If you can’t have some kind of presence as a rim deterrent than you have to be able to contain the ball handler. He doesn’t do either particularly well and then doesn’t finish the possession with a box out or rebound. If you couple him with a big he is not someone to closeout to corner shooters effectively or play 1 on 2 weak side defense well. If you are committed to KPJ and Green you can’t have wood defensively. Think of him as nurkic/vucevic/kat/Jokic. For those guys to work you need amazing point of attack defenders who don’t die on screens. We look like we won’t have that in our projected future backcourt.

AlperenSengun and aaquaa like this.
  7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

respect your post but are u watching the same game? He’s the laziest guy on either side.

aaquaa likes this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Don't be a casual!

just kidding, get him the hell out of here and give Sengun all his minutes!

9. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Sorry I didn’t make it clear in my post. I agree with you. He makes no effort on defense, is generally soft, and doesn’t communicate. I’ve been expressive in my lack of faith in his defense before.

10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I just feel the guy is so about himself. These random dunks and pose. He’s loving the fact he hit that girl in charlotte. Only time wood has been in the media, he wants the Kardashian fame.

clos4life, aaquaa and BallaDoc like this.
  11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Wood has some unique offensive skills for a big...
    - Solid 3pt shooter
    - Decent handle and ability to drive
    - Good P-n-R partner

However, he has a lot of weaknesses...
    - Limited post-up game
    - Uninspired defender/rim protector
    - Passing
    - FT shooting
    - Injury prone and weak player

I was 50/50 on trading him a few weeks ago, but I've come to see him as Fool's Gold. I don't see him being an Alpha, he's seems better suited as a 3rd option with 1 or 2 dominant players/All-Stars on a team. Perhaps on the right team, they can harness his strengths and cover his weaknesses. The Rockets aren't that team now and won't have that opportunity for 2-3 years. Time for him to fly.

Corrosion, xaos, slothy420 and 9 others like this.
  12. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Wood is frustrated cause he wants to be the guy and we suck. He is in lose lose situation why be the “ man “ if your the worst team in the league. He was also pissed Sengun was in during crunch time - he entered the game for the last 4 minutes. Would have been interesting to see if Sengun would have stayed out of foul trouble how much longer he would have been left in the game.

aaquaa likes this.
  13. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

[​IMG]
    Strike while the iron's hot.
    Anyone know where he lives?
    Tar & feather him!

Plowman likes this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rafael should pull out this line in trade talks.

"He doesn't do a single that helps you win, but duuuuuuuude! He had 22 and 6, he is fine!

xaos, Richie_Rich, Mr Woods and 2 others like this.
  15. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

He never, ever acknowledges the assist after a dunk.
    Just stares at his "claw" for a few seconds.
    Weak-ass poser.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I honestly wonder if signing Theis was in preparation for a Cwood trade now.

Not that the Rockets started this season planning on trading Cwood but just as a backup plan. I mean I still don't get that pick up but it does make sense if they thought there was a possibility of trading Wood.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jalen Green is wayyy more locked in than Christian Wood. He actually plays with some heart.

I am super happy to see that KPJ seems to be falling into the "play with some heart" category, too.

Woody has to go, period. Highest bidder. He is physically weak, he is mentally soft, he is lazy, and he has an extremely tiny penis. Let the bash bros, Goon & Garuba, takeover...

#57 RudyTBag, Dec 28, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    xaos, Plowman, jdjd and 6 others like this.
  18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

great post

19. BonziWellsGOAT

At least Westbrook gives the appearance of giving a ****

Richie_Rich and aaquaa like this.
  20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I said it in the game thread but Wood plays more like a big slow Guard than an Athletic big.

That’d be fine if the Rockets could play an actual center with him but when he’s the only big on the court in a game like that he should be dominating.

The Wood pick n roll should be a staple of this offense but he doesn’t set good picks and he doesn’t roll to the rim.

Dude should be catching lobs or pocket passes and playing above the rim with his length and jumping ability.

But he’d rather set slip screens all game and just kind of hover.

And I think it’s because he sees himself as a big guard and not an athletic big man.

Sengun picks up some bad fouls but at least he plays tough inside and actually tries to contest shots near the rim.

The more I watch Wood play, the more I want Chet. He’s skinny af but he at least plays tough down low like a damn big man.