1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Get Christian Wood the Hell outta here ASAP for AMAP!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Dec 28, 2021.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

CHRISTIAN WOODS IS KILLING THE ROCKETS.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

He was a skilled FREAK.

xiki likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Remember when CF was flooded with hate for THIS GUY????

So much knee jerking and ignorance on this board.

If you're going to insist on wearing panties, stop getting them so twisted.

Bo6, Williamson, cmlmel77 and 5 others like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Alright, we know this guy has potential.

But polyamory is not for everyone.

aaquaa and D-rock like this.
  5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

AND THEIR FEMALE FANS AS WELL.

Dobbizzle, aaquaa, Easy and 1 other person like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's funny. But we shouldn't laugh or she would demand an apology from us.

aaquaa likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Patience is a virtue.

Bo6, Rashmon, SamFisher and 3 others like this.
  8. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I’ve been really impressed with his improved defense and effort this year.

Plowman and D-rock like this.
  9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I think he is a wing and I believe he should be playing as a wing. I've definitely seen the defensive improvement in KPJ. I just don't see him as a PG, which there is nothing wrong with that. I'd love to see KPJ move to the SF spot and for us to bring a real PG eventually.

RoadWarrior and aaquaa like this.
  10. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

KAT? You want the young ones to learn from Mr No Defense?

D-rock likes this.
  11. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Wait for Jokic’s free agency. Sign him. KPJ would be perfect with Jokic

12. bj3175

bj3175 Member

D rock the dude is good but just watch him he is posing after every dunk he doesn't get back on D. He needs to be a man and not so wimpy

D-rock and aaquaa like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

You guys have become irrational.

Your reasons have zero to do with playing basketball.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

So Ben Simmons?

BamBam and Dobbizzle like this.
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Did I quote this already?!

IDGAF if I did .... it bears repeating.

I think you nailed it with that analogy - He plays more like a guard / wing than a big man.

Offensively I'm fine with that .... it's on the defensive end that this idea of his hurts the team, particularly when he's the lone big.

That's why they went and signed Theis, so Wood didn't have to guard centers, that's why they stuck with the two big lineup for so damn long, catering to CW.
    Problem with that is it left you needing the same thing you needed before you signed Wood - a 5 who can shoot as teams left Theis as the open shooter & stayed home on the wing & corner shooters.
    Theis took 41(13made) 3-point shots with a defender no closer than 6 feet and 19(5made) more where the closest defender was 4 feet or more. He made 18 of those 60 shots for 30%. That's not going to cut the mustard and exactly why he was left open.

Most of those were top of the key or just right of the key just beyond the 3-point arc where the ball found its way to Theis in the flow of the offense - what normally would be considered very good shots (just not when it's a 30% shooter). Can't count the number of similar shots he passed up.

You can play CW as a wing / big guard, you just need the right big man to play alongside him because he's not going to do any big man things. Theis isn't that guy. He has no gravity as a shooter and he has no gravity in the post.

I think it would be best for the Rockets to move him, give Sengun all the minutes he can handle, split the rest between Theis & Garuba who's not getting any better sitting on the bench.

The question for me is what kind of return are you looking for?

What I don't want is several players in return that further complicates the issue of playing time we have for these young guys. They have 13 players including two ways & a 10 day fighting for minutes 1-4 - Not including Wood.
    Green, Brooks, Mathews, Porter, Christopher, Martin & Tate all need to be playing heavy minutes & we still have EG, Nwaba, Augustin, Queen, Nix & Jarreau. Too many bodies, not enough minutes.

Ultimately, I think you are looking for multiple #1's and as little salary in return as possible & you can consolidate those assets into something this offseason - depending upon where you end up in the draft. Teams wanting Wood aren't going to want to give up major pieces to land him, they want to add him to those major pieces.

$11.35m is the minimum salary return ....

xtruroyaltyx, ElPigto and aaquaa like this.
  16. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

The problem with Wood playing like a guard is he doesn't have the speed, grace or ball-handling/passing skills required to make it work. In fact, the easiest thing he could do to play better would be to play like a big man, stop running the ball up the court himself and set a real screen more than once every 40 plays. I know people love this whole unicorn ideal, but if that's a unicorn then it's a hard pass from me. He needs to be a big man, the times he tries to play guard all he does is slow us down in transition (with a team that has super quick, young guards) and halt the flow of our offense. His numbers are good, they'd be a million times better if he just played like a big man and cut out the wannabe guard bullshit.

beardsanity713 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Wood wants to be catered to as the number 1 option and for that reason, he mopes around when he isn't getting the ball in certain situations.

He is a talented scorer, but at this point, that's all he is. He is not a good enough scorer to warrant building an offense around him to the detriment of the team. We were able to build an iso offense around Harden because he damn carried scrubs to victories in the regular season. Wood can't carry jack ****. As been stated multiple times, he is a solid offensive player, a potential good 2nd or 3rd option, but he has to commit to playing a pick and roll game. His weak ass screens are inexcusable for an area that should be a strength. He is as stubborn as Dwight Howard, except Dwight wanted the ball in the post, Wood instead wants the ball at the top of the key. Honestly, not interested to figure out the outcome of this and hoping the Rockets will find a suitable destination for him while we stockpile more assets for future use.

18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I think he's definitely a guard. At the moment I wouldn't call him a floor general or anything but looking at the roster and how modern basketball is played... I don't think they need a floor general. 3 guard, 1 forward, 1 center lineups are where it's at and our 3 future guards Porter, Green and Christopher all bring a little something to the table. Porter is shifty and does make plays for others. Green a bucket. Christopher can get his. Especially in that 3-1-1 setting if the center is Sengun, I'm not sure you need a full-time point.

I don't remember what potential felt like but it's nice. Harden era and KNOWING guys weren't going to play better, knowing the only way up was trade and trying live and die on the buyout market... I remember the good times fondly but that's a weird realization as a fan. Knowing the team really can't get better on their own.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  19. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

This mirrors my own feelings very well. It's actually quite fun (despite us being so bad) having a bunch of young, super athletic players with potential and seeing them develop. We have so much young talent I sometimes forget how many players we have with tons of potential. If our players pan out to at least starter/6th man level we could feasibly have lineups where KPJ, Green, Josh and KJ are all on the court at the same time. As far as I can see it that lineup would be one of the most athletic in the league, the transition game alone would be a NIGHTMARE to defend. It might take a while to get there, but oh boy that'd bring some excitement and a lot of entertainment.

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Assuming that Sengun becomes the future MVP Rockets fans deserve, I would agree with you. It's no different than the Nuggets system where Jokic is the point guard of that offense. If Sengun does not become that guy, then I disagree with you. Our offense needs one key player than can put everyone in place to be successful, and we need a legit threat, not some crusty veteran like DJ.

Dankstronaut likes this.