1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gerald Wallace

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bono, Jun 27, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Bono

Bono Contributing Member

opted out of his contract with Charlotte and is a Free Agent. worth looking at?

2. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Can't afford him :(

3. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

yeah we can look at him...thats about it though

4. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Yup he's going for the big bucks somewhere else. Maybe Cleveland or Orlando? I have no clue just throwing names in there that could contend for the EC.

5. thecity5

thecity5 Member

I think it would still be better to try to get rashard lewis.

6. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

obvoiusly...how did you go from gerald wallace which has no chance of happening to rashard lewis which has less than no chance of happening.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He would make a great GS Warrior. Not happening though. Just saying...

8. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

he will be in orlando or milwaukee for sure

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Would be great to have him. But aside from this not being very realistic, wasn't he stuck on the bench under Adelman in Sacramento a few years ago?

10. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

We dont have enough salary space for him!

11. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I think we're seriously underestimating our ability to get him.

Sonics will try to rebuild so we wouldn't have anythign to offer them.

Bobcats have signalled that they want to start winning more.. They said the other day they want to trade their draft pick for someone who'll help them win now.

I think that the Bobcats would be interested in Shane Battier. He's someone who would be a leader on their team, capable of starting, mentoring Adam Morrison a bit maybe, and playing defense.

Obviously that wouldn't be enough to get our hands on Wallace. the again, I wouldn't pay him 10 million per season like he's asking.

The thing that attracts me to Wallace is that he can play 4 on our team more than Battier could. He's played in Adelman's system. I would be more comfortable with this guy splitting time between the 3 and 4 (freeing some time at the 2 and 3) than with Battier.

Battier and #26 for Wallace and next year's second rounder?

I would do it. I think the Bobcats would do it as well. I think Jordan wants to win soon and Battier gets them a bit closer to that, seeing as they have Hermann and Morrison who will be starring at the 3/4 and 2/3 respectively.

If #26 doesn't apeal to them, perhaps we could interest them in Battier plus Head for Wallace and #22.

12. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

He scores, rebounds, and blocks shots from the small forward position and he's 24 years old. For what he brings to the table, I would.

13. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Yeah but he doesn't socre with range (no long range J), can't drive too well (ball handling can be improved) and doesn't hit FT's at a decent clip.

This makes him somewhat of a tweener. He has all the skills of a PF, but he's too small to play the 4 exclusively.

I'd be willing pay him 50M over 6 seasons. I think that's EXTREMELY generous.

For 10M a season I expect to have someone who does everything required from a position and considered one of the best at that position.

On a Houston team, I see him as a guy who plays the 3/4, goes back to blocking 2+ and stealing 2+, going to the line 5 or 6 times, grabbing at least 7 boards and hitting around 50% of his shots.

I would NEVER pay a guy who can't create his own shot 10M unless I had Jason Kidd or Steve Nash on my team.

14. Barkley

Barkley Member

Good look. We should really think about this guys cause he's really good

15. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Yeah but I really think this guy is just entering his prime. Its true that he isn't a great 3 point shooter but he did shoot 50% last year and 53% the year before. And whatever deficiencies he has offensively he makes up for on the defensive end. I truly think he's a future DPOY if given enough press. But hey 6 years 50 million and 6 years 60 million is kinda splitting hairs right?

16. Laozi

Laozi Member

I like Wallace alot, and I think he would be one of the better wings in the league to pair up with Yao. That being said we have five players at that position, and theres a chance we'll pick up another if we get a couple of picks in the draft.

17. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Is wallace on the same level as NeNe or RAsheed Wallace- both at the 10 mil level per season? I have not seen him play enough to know-just asking here...

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

He's only 24 and he's already a damn good player, so I'd venture to say yes. Definitely better than Nene and while Rasheed has much more talent (hell, most would say that if he properly channeled it, he'd be a hall of famer), Rasheed is also a headcase.

Wallace will be a great player for years to come, he's already improved his game tremendously. He's alredy a phenomenal defensive player who'll give you 2 blocks a game, and about 7 or 8 rebounds. On top of that, he's becoming a much better scorer and is finally developing a jump shot.

But my guess is that he stays in Charlotte, they have the cap room to pay him whatever he wants.

19. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

After hearing that it sounds like 10 mil is about market cost...I wonder if he wouldn't rather be on a contender - which I think we are a top 5 team- though behind Dallas Spendericks, Phoenix and SA...I wish we could get a strong 4....It would make a big difference to Yao and his game

Thak you for the insight

20. matty101

matty101 Member

He would be good but we dont need him UNLESS we get rid of battier. He definantly isnt the PF were looking for and if battier is here than i dont see a place for him. I think id take Battier at around 5 mil a year over Wallace at 10 mil. Doesnt Battier complement Adelman's system better as well?

I say no to G Wallace.

Talking about R Wallace though. Man he would be the PERFECT fit here. besides some of his knucklehead decisions on and off the court he is one hell of a talent. Bit off topic though so i appologize :D