1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gerald Green "the poster Child" for what's wrong with AAU basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Hayesfan, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Warning in advance this is long :)

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/07/gerald-green-the-poster-child-for-americ.html

Thought this was an interesting blog talking about a topic that is near and dear to my heart.

The problems with the AAU system.

Also says that GG has finally been humbled, I really do hope the kid can get some real NBA knowledge and work ethic under his belt in Dallas.

Now this is the part that really got to me about the AAU program and the "prep school system"

#1 Hayesfan, Jul 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

It wasn't that long at all.

I think as Gulf Shores moved up on the local basketball scene, Westbury Christian gave up some ground.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

How is AAU bad for Green? He has a few million in the bank. If he had stayed at his other school he probably wouldn't have played since his grades sucked, and he might have dropped out. Also if he went to college what guarantee was there that he would be good enough in school? He also seems very undisciplined on the court. Why would any coach play a guy like that?

4. Shaud

Shaud Member

Sorry but if it wasn't for AAU then a lot of these players wouldn't even get to experience anything outside of their neighborhood. AAU allows players to take trips to different states and give players exposure.

5. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I will never forgive Daryl Morey if this guy becomes another great player.

Has all the tools but lacks experience?

And most important he is only 22.

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Sounds like pretty sweet setup for Ms. Johnson and Mr. Williams and his family.

I bet there are quite a few perks...

7. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Exactly. People like looking at things from an all-around perspective instead of at the very least understanding why an individual chooses the choices he or she makes. May have been wrong decision yes, but everyone makes their own mistakes.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I sincerely doubt it. I bet he's already gone through most of that money. What do they say? 60% of NBA players go bankrupt within two years of leaving the NBA? It's something outrageous.

9. Hayesfan

My point about AAU isn't that they are given an opportunity.. it's that they hype these kids up so that they think they are on a pedestal.

It's all about money. It's not about teaching the kids the sport. It's how much can I get this advertiser to pay for my team if I have a kid that's going to be in the NBA someday. It's how much can I make having a "basketball school" where we encourage underachieving. It's about who you know and how much hype you can produce rather than improving the kid's game.

Maybe it's the right path for some kids to go, but I can't condone something that rewards teenagers for acting like prima donnas because they can jump higher than the kid next to them.

You know how that stereotype of passing kids in school just because they were athletes, well this takes it to a whole new level. This says, well heck, since you are already dumb, let's just take your education out of the equation. We'll make it easy for you so we can earn a buck off your natural abilities.

Kids want to play for him because all he does is pump them up. Do you think he has them run suicides if they are late to practice? Do you think he makes them sit out a game because they can't read at a second grade level?

No.

I am sorry but there is a huge problem with a system that rewards on how much money you can earn your coach.

People complain that these kids have to play a year of college and make money for the school. Well how about all the money they are making for their AAU squads and coaches before they are even old enough to get to the college level.

The system is wrong in so many ways that I can't even discuss it without getting upset.

#9 Hayesfan, Jul 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So I wonder what was more humbling for him: being cut by the Daryl Morey or getting his signed sneaker knocked off the table by Daryl Dawkins at the dunk contest.

If Gerald Greene gets motivated and eventually becomes a star, he'll have at least one Daryl to thank for it.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Regarding Gerald Green, the dude is only 22 but has been around a while. You don't just change who you are as an adult overnight. I'll be shocked if Green is in the league by age 25. I hope he proves me wrong but I wouldn't bet on it.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

The majority of the players that went bankrupt were the ones that played when guys weren't getting a million dollars to play ball.

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He's missing important tools. Ball handling and passing are essential to being a great player. Honestly, what's this guy's ceiling? He plays nothing like any great player I've seen. The Tmac comparisons were way off. The skill's just not there.

You're talking about someone like JR Smith. He blows Green out of the water, skill-wise. Gerald Green is probably not even as NBA ready as Donte Greene and he's two years older.

14. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Three things...

1) It's just Dobie. Nobody who has ever attended Dobie has called it Houston Dobie. I hate it when articles do that.

2) It's not Scott Talbert. It's Scott Talton.

3) I played for him on the varsity team in 2000 and 2001, so I know him very well. He had some players that didn't make good grades, and if they failed they didn't play...plain and simple. He also had some guys who were immature and liked to get into trouble, but those guys still got to play as long as they took care of their grades. So, what I'm trying to say is that for Gerald Green to be such an outcast at Dobie, he had to be ultra uncoachable and/or stupid. I don't even like coach Talton (that's another story entirely), but there's no doubt in my mind that the reason he treated Gerald the way he did is because it was deserved. I'm sure that the quote they have from him in this article is 100% accurate.

15. Hayesfan

Thanks for the input CCR.

FYI I think they called it Houston Dobie because it was an article from a Dallas newspaper. Maybe? Is there a Dallas Dobie?

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Insightful. From everything i've heard it seems to be that GG is VERY unintelligent. He has definitely shown the skills to play in this league but watching him in Boston he actually looked lost ( :confused: ) on D and in a half court offensive set. I've never seen a player with his abilities appear so dumb. A guy like Ricky Davis had problems because he didn't want to play D and work hard, GG on the other hand seems unable to at time which is an even bigger problem.

17. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

This definitely offers a chance for many to overcome odds and create a life not possible by few other means.

But one other thing to consider is for every Gerald Green (who at least made millions and has stepped foot onto an NBA court), how many don't? How many get a scholarship to a division one school, keep believing that they 'deserve' to go the NBA to the detriment of any academic education, but ultimately don't pan out? Not only has their basketball career effectively ended, they're education is equivalent to a high school drop out.

Not saying this happens, because frankly I don't know, but I'm trying to see this from all sides.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I know AAU isn't good for college or pro ball. You never get to work on your game if you're constantly on trips. A lot of those AAU guys are uncoachable. Beasley,Mayo and guys that attend 4 high schools really just leave when they start getting coached up. In houston, we didn't have summer ball till '87. Before then it was illegal, so cats just worked on their game.

As far as the Academy go, I don't really mind because its no different than europe and other countries. If you're going to hoop, just hoop. Parker was playing pro ball at 15 and nothing was said. I do think AAU and the lack of working on your game hurts the game.

19. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I don't remember any Europeans coming into the NBA that were dumb as rocks. In fact most of them speak English (their second language) better than Gerald Green.

Not saying it's cut and dry, but for the most part I don't think those European players are spitting in the face of education en route to their basketball dreams like a lot of these American born AAU products appear to be.

20. apocclass

apocclass Member

i'd still like to have GG on the rockets.... i just still believe he can be a player in the NBA.