1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gerald Green is now in Russia

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by milkoholic17, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Hopefully he can use this experience in Europe to work on his game.

He'll never be an All Star though.

3. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

Unless he becomes a rocket again and ALL of china votes for him ;)

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He's just dumber than a bag of rocks. The NBA isn't just about being fast, strong and athletic. Those things help, but there is a reason guys like Gerald Green don't make it and guys like Battier and Chuck Hayes can thrive. You need to be able to understand the complicated offensive and defensive schemes being run in the NBA.

5. foodworld

foodworld Member

Gerald's a good kid, but he never learned how to play five-on-five basketball. He scored 29 points in his debut in Europe.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Do they drug test in Russia?

DD

7. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

That is an insult to all of rocks, sir! :mad:

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

In soviet Russian the ball windmills you

9. Williamson

My apologies to rocks. I didn't mean to offend.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

ha!

I laughed

11. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

In Soviet Russia, the candle on the cupcake blows you out.

12. PointForward

PointForward Member

in Russia, you can see Sarah Palin having her morning coffee in her back yard

13. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Well I hoped he'd stay for a while in Houston but he didn't.
    Damn he was athletic in hs, jumping of both legs dunking like that. You rarely see that

14. ApuN

ApuN Member

For most guys -This is what happens when you go straight out of High School.

He really never learned the game.

Its not a coincidence that Shane and Chuck had 2+ years in College and have had real pro careers and Green has bounced around

15. Jayou

Jayou Member

And he didn't even go to a real high school.

Gulf Shores Academy = AAU factory

16. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Wow that is low DD.

Did he fail any drug tests in the states?

17. Williamson

Oh this is a real pet peeve of mine. Shane had 2+ years in College because he is a friggin' genius and he wanted to finish his degree. Chuck? What's the hurry? Nobody wanted to draft him anyway. But beyond that, he is again incredibly intelligent and mature. They didn't gain the intelligence and the maturity from staying in college. To the contrary, they stayed in college because they are intelligent and mature.

As for Gerald Green, I don't buy that "he'd have been good if he just went to college" crap for a second. He had years in the NBA to acclimate. He even got to play some decent minutes in Boston. But what I'll never understand is how people act like practice doesn't happen. As if NBA teams don't scrimmage and the coaching staff don't mentor and help develop young players. As if there aren't people like John Lucas out there working with these kids for a little change to help them develop their games.

College wouldn't have helped Gerald Green. Just like it doesn't seem to have helped Jermaine Taylor. It didn't help Harold Minor. It didn't help Stromile Swift. It didn't help Joe Alexander. And on and on and on and on.

Sometimes stupid is just stupid. College can't make you smarter - only more educated (and in my personal experience, doesn't even do a very good job of that). But there was nothing College could offer Green in terms of player development that an NBA teams training staff can't offer as well or better. I simply don't buy it. It's interesting to me that people always want to say "He should have gone to college" but the only superstars I can think of off the top of my head in the last twenty years who did more than a year or two in college was Tim Duncan. Otherwise, all the players who defined this era of basketball - Kobe, Kevin Garnett, Lebron James, Allen Iverson, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Tony Parker, Amare Stoudamire, and on and on and on, all came into the league as teenagers with one year or less of college. And what about the Josh Smith's and the J.R. Smiths? These guys aren't exactly geniuses either, but they came straight out of high school and they have developed here. I'm assuming they're tougher mentally than Gerald Green or that Green is just Forest Gump dumb. Point being - if you have the talent, the work ethic, the brains and the will to succeed - the teams have too much invested in you to let you fail.

Gerald Green likely would be a failure even if he graduated from College (which, incidentally, he would have only done if they passed him because he's on the basketball team - which they usually do).

Has everybody forgotten Jermaine O'Neal? It wasn't until his 5th or 6th season that he started playing like a star. Why was he able to develop from a young, raw talent who was unable to contribute to the Blazers all of those years into one of the premiere big men in the league for some years? Because a.) he kept working to improve and b.) the coaching staff helped develop him. It happens. However, in the case of Gerald Green - he apparently just didn't have it in him to make it in the NBA.

#18 Williamson, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I thought he had some issues with it in Boston..I could be mistaken though.

DD

19. stab

stab Member

Oh Nyet!!!