1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gerald Green cut over rookies?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Dec 16, 2020.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Glad I am not the only one. Gerald did not seen the court yesterday though so might be in the doghouse already.

2. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

A trade will likely mitigate this.
    It isn't roster related, it's hard cap related.
    As long as the Rockets take back less salary in a Harden/Tucker/Gordon trade, they won't have to cut players just to stay below the hard cap.

3. ksny15

ksny15 Member

You must not watch the games. Apparently you only look at box scores.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I watched him get owned plenty against the Lakers.

Jontro likes this.
  5. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Nah man he's old as hell. He signed a 4 year contract at 32 years old knowing full well he may outperform the contract, or he may (more likely) underperform it especially in his last year or two. We've been lucky that he has outperformed his contract so far but it was a willing buyer, willing seller situation. Each party knew the risks and upsides / downsides to signing the contract and it was a fair bargain. His whining about an extension is excessive and unprofessional.

6. swedish-olajuwon

I watch all of the Rockets games and PJ is trash.
    The guy is such a liability on offense and he was getting wrecked by taller and stronger players all playoffs long. He is so god damn overrated that it's not even funny.

Denovo and Jontro like this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

heard tucker will retire and open a small shoe shop.

BossHogg713 and J.R. like this.
  8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

your english has improved, well done!

D-rock likes this.
  9. swedish-olajuwon

You're too kind.
    I would've been ashamed if my english skills wouldn't be better than my 9 year old little brother. #Swampassfamily

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

OK Tilman.

UTSA2step likes this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

To be clear, I said that they could trade Clemons to avoid this issue. It sucks for the team because they are going to have to give up an asset, even if just a marginal one, to trade away a player who was almost certainly going to be cut anyway.

There are multiple teams who could absorb Clemons in a trade and then waive him. I expect the Rockets to make that move because I think they literally might not have a choice. Would be surprised if they just carried 13 guys.

Though they may try to hang tight to figure out whether they are going to trade Harden and or Tucker in the near term to avoid the issue.

James.B.H and D-rock like this.
  12. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Green was just brought back so he could take a photoshoot in the Rockets Oilers Gear.

UTSA2step likes this.
  13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm not going to claim to versed in most of these rooks based on watching them in a few minutes of preseason... but my point is that if the coaching staff feels that they got that many prospects better than GG, then that must mean we're pretty deep - at least in their opinion... now whether they're keeping others based on 'potential' and they may never see the floor - thats another matter...

At this point I think its more about stockpiling talent than worrying about the position disbursement... figuring there will be at least 1 or 2 more trades in the immediate future...so better to have good young prospects to deal than a midlevel player who fits our teams specific need... imo...

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not disgree, I think GG is being slightly underrated.

His shooting has been serviceable.

kjayp likes this.
  15. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

I kinda miss his energy though lol. I wonder where he is

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I've been of the belief that GG should have a roster spot - period. Hopefully he can shoot well and log some meaningful minutes... but even if he cant, I've believed he deserves a spot at the end of the bench waving his towel and repping H-town proudly!
    I love GG and hope he retires a Rocket!

That said... if it came down to GG or Tate for example... that would be a difficult choice imo... Tate hasnt been phenomenal - but does have serious potential...

In the past we've wasted enough roster spots on the Bobby Browns and even lesser of the league that MDA was never going to play... so based on that, GG should have a spot - period... but if Stone is more about making every position count - and Silas will actually develop them (instead of MDA just padding his stats by overplaying the best of the roster)... then there may be an argument to be made to the contrary... lol

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Would love to have GG on the roster, but is it a priority right now? Clemons' injury and the hard cap requires us to give up assets to retain him. Can we just wait for a possible trade later on in the season that might lower our salary and open up some money for him? Ben McLemore has already taken up his role for the most part.

18. JW86

JW86 Member

No injury exemption?! An injured player out for the year should not count...

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Says the guy who said John Wall is a sub-par defender. John Wall has always been a more than solid defender, and anyone who has watched him will attest to this fact.

20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Please keep the beloved G green in any form or fashion. I don’t even care if it’s clutch the bear