1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Georgia third-graders hatch plot to attack teacher

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BigSherv, Apr 1, 2008.

1. BigSherv

BigSherv Member

This is nuts

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5665528.html

WAYCROSS, Ga. — Police say a group of third-graders plotted to attack their teacher, bringing a broken steak knife, handcuffs, duct tape and other items for the job and assigning children tasks including covering the windows and cleaning up afterward.

The plot by as many as nine boys and girls at Center Elementary School in south Georgia was a serious threat, Waycross Police Chief Tony Tanner said today.

"We did not hear anybody say they intended to kill her, but could they have accidentally killed her? Absolutely," Tanner said. "We feel like if they weren't interrupted, there would have been an attempt. Would they have been successful? We don't know."

The children, ages 8 and 9, were apparently mad at the teacher because she had scolded one of them for standing on a chair, Tanner said.

They could be expelled, but a prosecutor said they are too young to be charged with a crime under Georgia law.

Tanner said school officials alerted police Friday after a pupil tipped off a teacher that a girl had brought a weapon to school.

Police seized a broken steak knife, handcuffs, duct tape, electrical and transparent tape, ribbons and a crystal paperweight from the students, who apparently intended to use them against the teacher, Tanner said.

The alleged target is a veteran educator who teaches third-grade students with a range of learning disabilities, including attention deficit disorder, delayed development and hyperactivity, friends and parents said.

Tanner said the scheme involved a division of roles. One child's job was to cover windows so no one could see outside, he said. Another was supposed to clean up after the attack.

"We estimate between six to nine students were involved. ... We're not sure at this point in the investigation how many of the students actually knew the intent was to hurt the teacher," Tanner said.

The parents of the students have cooperated with investigators, who aren't allowed to question the children without their parents' or guardians' consent, he said. Authorities have withheld the children's names.

Police expected to forward the results of their investigation to prosecutors, Tanner said.

Children in Georgia can't be charged with a crime unless they are at least 13, District Attorney Rick Currie said.

Theresa Martin, spokeswoman for the Ware County school system, told The Florida Times-Union of Jacksonville, Fla., that administrators would follow school system policy and state law in disciplining the students.

"From what I understand, they were considered pretty good kids," Martin said. "But we have to take this seriously, whether they were serious or not about carrying this through, and that's what we did."

Four mothers of other third-grade students at Center Elementary called for the immediate expulsion of the suspected plotters.

Stacy Carter and Deana Hiott both cited school system policy stating that any student who brings "anything reasonably considered to be a weapon" is to be expelled for at least the remainder of the school year.

"We don't want our children around them," Carter told the Times-Union. "The one with the knife could have stabbed my child or someone else's child at lunch or out on the playground."

"This is an isolated incident, an aberration. ... We have good kids," Center Principal Angie Coleman told the newspaper.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

She must have been one mean teacher.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Seriously though, that is what I was thinking. What did the teacher do or say that made 9 children vent with this kind of anger. Something isn't right here.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

I never said I was good at math, or anything in particular involving a number, or just stuff that has to do with life in general.

7. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

so gangsta

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

Often kids like these are raised by tv. Doesn't surprise me.

9. Kyakko

Kyakko Member

why does someone always assume there's always more than there is? at that age, all you need is one outspoken leader and you can get any kid to follow you. i remember a bulling and beating situation like that when i was in junior high. There were about 6 suspensions.

10. Prometheus

Prometheus Member

There probably is more to this story, but resolving it through violence is not the way. I'm glad they stopped those kids. Things like that ruin lives. Not just for the victims.

11. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Teachers get no support.

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

The teacher must have done something that set one or more off, if not then something else. I don't see a bunch of 7 and 8 years olds plotting something like that for sh!ts and giggles. I'm not saying that it was major or the teacher was wrong, for all I know she gave one of them a bad report during parent-teacher conferences, but I would still like to know what set them off.

#12 Lil Pun, Apr 1, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  13. Mr. Brightside

I only have one bit of advice for the student who alerted the teacher:

[​IMG]

14. meh

meh Member

Based on the article, it seems to be somewhat of a special ed class. Not normal kids.

Of course, if they were normal 3rd graders, this needs to be looked into deeply. Although I'd venture to guess it has more to do with something they learned from the media rather than the teacher being overly mean.

15. no_answer

no_answer Member

It's so obvious that these kids had a temporary lapse in sanity and judgement due to an extenuating circumstance. Maybe they know that 14 year old. :D hehe

16. Kyakko

Kyakko Member

"The children, ages 8 and 9, were apparently mad at the teacher because she had scolded one of them for standing on a chair, Tanner said."

the situation i was referring to.. a girl got teased mercilessly through j.h. by other girls. it got so bad that they jumped her and her parents had to come talked to the principle. kids these days are not like the simpsons. think, lord of the flies.

17. Buck Turgidson

Let's see...

Teamwork? Check
    Sharing of responsibilities? Check
    Independent action? Check
    Intricate planning? Check
    Following through on said plan? Check

I say give 'em an A.

18. JamesC

JamesC Member

I'd beat the hell out of some kids trying to pull that mess on me.