1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

George Springer

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Aug 16, 2013.

1. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Added a walk-off single just for good measure.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

oh man but all those holes in his swing!!!!!

but srsly that AAA title will be sweet

/snark

3. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Intersting thing to think about.

Where would Springer hit in our lineup if we were in the majors tonight?
    Would he be our best player right now?

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They'd probably bat him 3rd. It would take some time to see if he would be the best player.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

At first I'd bat him 5th or 6th. After two weeks if he's adjusting okay I'd bump him up to 3rd, maybe even 1st. He's got lead off speed.

6. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

That's what I was thinking, either 1st or 3rd.

7. Nook

Nook Member

I agree, third or fourth.... Don't want him at the bottom of the order with his approach to hitting.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He'd fit in our lineup very nicely. Probably bat 3rd. I'd love to add one more bat that could hit 4th, and move Castro to 5th. Would make a complete lineup.

9. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

Springer would immediately become the best player on the team. This team sucks.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

That would be optimistic, but realistic.

11. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm all for bringing him up and inserting him into the top half of the line up, 3rd preferably. I'm optimistic about his success, but we should probably expect a slow start, I believe he has taken time to adjust to every level. I would rather he was at the major league level adjusting than battle fighting in OKC.

12. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Springer just stole his 40th.

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I wonder if we kept Springer down in minors next season if he could be the first 50/50 minors player. He could become the greatest minors player of all time.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

all about those AAA championships. eyes on the prize

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Going through playoffs (albeit in the minors) may have long term benefits for Springer for when he gets to his first MLB playoffs.

Of course if Springer struggles in his first MLB playoffs, I can tuned in here and read about how Luhnow blew it with Springer, by trading AAA playoff experience for some relatively worthless month of MLB experience in 2013.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think you're undervaluing a month of MLB experience.... or the difference between AAA and MLB in general.

17. Buck Turgidson

Would you let Jeff Luhnow operate on/diagnose you?

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nope. Then again, I'm board certified after years of training. A standardized way of separating the good from the bad. Even then, this can still lead to second guessing and mistakes.

There are no GM boards... Just MLB results. Also, Luhnow hasnt been the "man" all that long. He gets a major pass due to rebuilding the system from absolutely nothing, but it does not mean that every single move he makes is the right one, and that one is not allowed to second guess him.

Besides, we don't know if this is a Crane or Luhnow decision. I'm hoping its the latter because I don't want the former anywhere near the minor league development plan, unless it involves opening up the check book to sign international prospects and approve the over slot bonuses.

#98 Nick, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Let's say the Astros make the playoffs in 2016 (a big if). Let's say Springer breaks camp in 2014 (next year) as a starter (our current best guess of what Luhnow is planning). Springer will then have 3 full seasons under his belt going into his first playoff. That is 18 months. Your argument is that 19 months would be a difference maker. My argument is that AAA play off chase and playoffs will be a bigger difference maker.

Did I get that right?

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Got it.

I could just as easily say that most of the success he has had in AAA this year could be erased by him having epic struggles to begin next ST/reg season. Would still rather have him begin the adjustment at the end of a meaningless season vs the start of a season where this team could begin to make some positive steps.