1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Springer to DL

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by BossHogg713, Jul 2, 2015.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Surprised the offense has only dropped off by half a run. It feels so much worse. Come back Georgie!!

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's actually a bigger drop-off than I expected.

I do know its a lot more than a run on the road, which is a pretty significant difference based largely just on one player being out.

That being said, that one player is one helluva player (both defensively and offensively), and should make an immediate impact once he's back at full strength.

3. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Full strength will probably be 4 to 5 weeks so is more help to the playoffs than the end of the season. We need to win with what we have and Hinch needs to do a better job. Example, Marwin got 2 hits in a game and I knew he would not start in the next game. You need to use your hot players. Go with numbers and not names

4. Major

Major Member

The "numbers" tell us that hot and cold streaks are generally statistical flukes. Getting 2 hits one day doesn't mean you're any more likely to get a hit the next day, and going 0-4 one day doesn't mean you're less likely to get a hit the next day - decades of statistical data pretty much tell us that is true. The "hot streak" generally can only be determined after the fact. There are more exceptions with longer term streaks that might be a result of something mechanical - vision problems or a change in batting stance or better conditioning or whatnot. But if you truly believe in numbers, you go with the matchups rather than who got a hit the previous day.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Since Springer went down we are averaging 3.09 runs per game on the road over 22 games.

The prior 37 road games we were averaging 4.81 runs per game.

I think those numbers are right even though they are pretty crazy to see.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And most of those 37 previous games were without Correa... so its quite possible his impact will be even more magnified.

7. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

If Hinch goes with matchup a then why he plays Comger vs Left handed pitchers. Or why in such a bad road trip he seldomly used Marwin even against lefties? Why Comger had a hot streak and did not play for so long? Even as a DH. I believe in matchups and numbers but I also believe in hot streaks.

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Man if we get George back and still have that 3+ game lead, this will have been an amazing job by Hinch and the guys to hold down the fort while he was out

9. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Is more about How Bad Angels are playing, really. Now, is going to take awhile before Springer is going to really help. Maybe 3 weeks to 1 month. Probably the end of the season and playoffs.

I think that pitching has been the constant for this team the whole year.

10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea or maybe it will take ten damn years

And as far as it being about how bad the Angels are playing, I guess it's really about how bad EVERYONE except KC, Yankees and Toronto is playing, cause those are the only teams with a worse record than the Astros!

Ok i'm done, go back to being negative

1 person likes this.
  11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I wonder how they rotate the OF once he's back. Right now, Gomez blows.

12. astroscolt45

astroscolt45 Member

Gomez is a dumpster fire

13. Mattician

Mattician Member

I really like Marisnick, too. I just feel like he's the odd one out.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not necessarily.... not if Springer is back and the rest of the offense falls in line.

The goal with Gomez was to get a much needed offensive boost at a position that was struggling while Springer is out. Granted, that hasn't happened... but it really hasn't cost this team a ton of wins or ground in the division race.

If Springer had never gotten hurt... not so sure they're as keen to make a move for a bat. Same applies if Marisnick was doing "anything" at the plate prior to the trade (he's been better in a part-time role).

Also, Gomez is in line to Rasmus (both in position and contract value) next year, so he's got a role going forward regardless.

15. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Springer is taking batting practice with the team tomorrow.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

17. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jeff Luhnow says Astros are cautiously targeting the first week of September for George Springer’s return <a href="http://t.co/2HGEcrPDzo">http://t.co/2HGEcrPDzo</a></p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/636316426127732736">August 25, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That's what I expected. That way they don't have to demote anyone.

19. joeson332

joeson332 Member

George Springer byke?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Springer hit on the field already. We should know more about what's next when AJ meets with media later today.</p>&mdash; Julia Morales (@JuliaMoralesRS) <a href="https://twitter.com/JuliaMoralesRS/status/637346355367813121">August 28, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>