1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Karl Please!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by colts_1994, Nov 8, 2013.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

GKC is good but fail fail fail post.

Behnnnn Himm!

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Agreed. McHale is a great player but an awful totally incompetent coach. Add in SVG, JVG or Karl and that would be at least 7 extra wins in the regular season and a further round in the play offs.

Come crunch time, you need a head coach that demands respect and can run plays. McHale is a very poor X's and O's coach and gets outcoached on a regular basis.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Who died and made you "official"?

4. domd221

domd221 Member

You really think Dwight wants to have a coaching change this year? That'd be 4 coaches in 2 seasons. The media would eat that up.

5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Thoughts are this is a knee jerk thread and probably not needed. We're above 500, made the playoffs last year when we probably shouldn't have, and are still meshing our newly acquired players. Give this team some time before saying McHale can't get the job done.

6. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

How do you know Harden wouldn't go iso on a Carl plan?

No thanks. Never been a big Karl fan, going back to his Sonics illegal zone defense days. I do agree he is a good coach, but so is Jerry Sloan and I don't want him either.

As for JVG, love him but don't think he's a good fit for this team and the speed they should run.

I know this is one of the kneejerk reactions to the ridiculous expectations coming into the season, but don't you think McHale should get more than half a dozen games before the end of the world is all his fault?

7. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

I think Dwight is smart enough by now to realize how incompetent McHale is...even after a handful of games.

8. aaly1130

aaly1130 Member

I was born Official buddy. If you don't think Karl would be a much better fit for this team...please state your reasoning. I gotta see this. This isn;t a "knee Jerk" thread, but with 10% of the season completed, we still have NOT improved out defensive rotations and have had no answer for team running the zone on us defensively. THIS IS A COACHING PROBLEM! WAKE UP

9. dragonz

dragonz Member

That's my feeling, too.

Likely Finch, but I'm hoping one of the Van Gundy can come as assistant lol

10. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

By that argument, we need to get Erik Spoelstra out of Miami. I mean he's a two time champ, took his team three straight years to the Finals and his team is favored to win it all again right. That's supposed to make him a great coach, but do you really think he's a great coach?

How many coaches are out there that have won championships that you can actually get. Are you going to lure Rudy T back the bench, no. Are you going to get Phil back for that even 12 crowns, extreme long shot at best. Are you getting Pops out of San Antonio? No way. There isn't very many championship coaches out there anymore, most of those guys retired for good reason.

I think McHale deserves a chance, I don't think he's better or worse than most coaches out there right now. I say if this team misses the playoffs, then you look for a new head coach. I like Karl as a coach, but the problem is he brings all the baggage with him.

If you made a change, I would like JVG. He knows how to coddle his superstars while hammering his defensive mindset into the players. He had a crap bench with two hobbled superstars in the playoffs consistently and he always proclaimed his faith in T-Macs greatness.

11. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Spoelstra is an excellent coach. Look at the unselfish way that Miami plays. They get the most out of each possession. Some of it can be attributed to the players, but alot of it is the coaching as well.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So hire George Karl so we can learn how play Illegal defense?

why not Jerry Sloan?

13. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Pretty much what I said, too, in the other thread.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8409259&postcount=8

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

George Karl, either Van Gundy, or Lionel Hollins would be massive upgrades over McHale. No, none of them have won NBA titles, but the first three have each gotten to the Finals and the latter has gotten as far as the WCF.

One could argue that Karl has underachieved at times during his career, namely with the 2 straight first round flameouts in Seattle and a few of those first round knockouts with the Nuggets. But he also took Seattle to the WCF in 1993 and the Finals in 1996. He took the Bucks to the ECF in 2001. And he took the Nuggets to the WCF in 2009. None of those franchises have come close to that level of success under other coaches in recent years(not counting the Sonics after they relocated to OKC).

Honestly, Karl's record is comparable to Rick Adelman's and no one on this board seems to have any beef with the way he performed as head coach during his time here.

15. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Yes, when the Sonics lost to the Nuggets, both Payton and Kemp were at the top of their games and I would argue that Kemp was a MUCH btter player at the time than Mutombo (the best player on the Nuggets that year).

16. Nook

Nook Member

#1 Yes I think Spoelstra has become a pretty good coach. The adjustments the Heat made to their offensive system after their first season together are very impressive.

#2 If the Rockets do not make the playoffs, I would really hope that the Rockets consider making a coaching change.

#3 Karl is a good coach, but people seem to forget that he has had his fair share of seasons where his team failed to live up to their potential, specifically in the post season. Further, he is old and has health issues, I am not sure that he is a good fit for Houston.

#4 If McHale is gone I think that Steve Van Gundy would be the leading candidate. He is very close to Morey and has been embraced by the STATS crowd because of his willingness to rely on, and interest in, advanced statistical analysis. Further, he has a strong pre existing relationship with Dwight Howard.

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Uh, if the Rockets don't make the playoffs(and it's not due to a Harden season-ending injury), McHale not only won't be coaching here next year, he'll be lucky to ever get another coaching gig in this league.

18. cw3k

cw3k Member

Howard is here because of Harden. The coach could be John Doe and Howard would still be landed at Houston

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think mchale deserves a full season at least. missing the playoffs would be the only way he gets fired. first round exit would mean he's on the hot seat if the team gets off to a slow start next year. second round or better and he did his job, and morey will look to strengthen the roster.

in the event that mchale is out, here are some names i'd be really happy with:

phil (obviously)
    adleman (probably no chance he wants to come back)
    sloan
    karl
    JVG
    SVG
    mcmillan
    carlisle (if dallas blows it up)

20. pacmania

pacmania Member

No team would've hired Kevin Mcfail after his disastrous tenure with the Minnesota Timberwolves. It was only Morey's links with Boston that got him the job. The Kevin Mchale hiring was not an arm's length transaction.