1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Karl: playoffs should have 16 seeds

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Commodore, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Lol they were 6th seed actually

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see how travel time is much of an issue. In MLB you could have San Diego playing NY in the first round of the playoffs. An argument might be made that basketball is more grueling than baseball but you could address that by making sure there is a travel day between games.

I like the idea and like Kenny Smith's idea of doing top 16 seeds not top 8 from each conference. Also if we want more upsets we could go back to 5 game first rounds. That could also give more time for travel.

3. Nolen

Nolen Member

Exactly, exactly, exactly.
    If you really love sports, then you want to see the best play the best. The current division/conference system gets in the way of that. Especially this stupid crap about division winners and conference seeding. Rolleyes.

In the world of internet and jet travel, regional differences become less and less meaningful. All teams league-wide should play each other an equal number of times, as far as is possible; playoff rankings should be the top 16 in the league, and each series should go 2-3-2. In this format we have a greater likelihood of the best playing the best.

If you are a Rockets fan, you have wanted this system for a while. If we had this system in place since 2000, we would have been in the playoffs 8-10 times.

4. SC1211

SC1211 Member

You're amazed Kelly Dwyer wrote something poorly thought out? Clearly you haven't read his work.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This idea is too obvious and too good - so no way it will happen.

6. Anxiety Trooper

You clearly have never read one of his articles

7. Anxiety Trooper

Beat me to it.

8. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I like this idea.

9. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

What he said is top 8 from east/west makes the playoff. So 7th seed from east can still have 40-42 and 9th seed from west can have 42-40 yet still not in the playoffs.

10. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Yeah, with this particular George Karl's system (reseeding after each round) i think there'd be less upsets in general.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Kelly is a good writer and a long-time member of the board -- show some respect.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

No doubt. Crappy posts on a BBS do not entitle you to crack on an established writer, especially a member of the Clutchfans community.

By the way, to anyone thinking this system would have rewarded Rockets teams seeded 9 or 10 in the western conference, they are talking about still taking the top 8 from each.

13. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

Impractical, due to travel and distances as noted above, and would need even matchups in the regular season with teams from both conferences to make any sense anyway.

That and who cares what George Karl thinks.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

So.........have some back-to-backs with 3 or 4 days off between them, staggering the days each series starts....?

I know, I know, it won't work.

15. Nolen

Nolen Member

Noted. If you were referring to me, I was saying the Rockets would have made playoffs in a system that goes even further than what coach Karl is proposing.

Should just go full euro style, regular season all teams play all other teams in the league equally as possible.

This system provides the highest probability of the best playing the best. If you love sports, this is what you want to see. All this conference/division crap gets i the way of that. The only reasons to keep this system are sentimentality and meaningless regional differences.

16. Nolen

Nolen Member

Go 2-3-2. Problem solved.

Yes, that's exactly the system we should have.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

This would be great. Who cares about flight time?

18. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

We might even get the Knicks... How awesome would that be?

19. macalu

macalu Member

this. less teams and shorten the first round back to a best of 5. that's where you get the upsets. the reason that march madness and the NFL are the most exciting playoffs is because of the one and done factor. they'll never do that with the NBA but by shortening the series it adds a lot of drama.

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

I wish they would do the top 16 and organize it like Karl's talking about it. You look at the Western conference and you have four teams teams with a chance of going to at least the conference finals (OKC, Spurs, Memphis, Clippers). Then you look at the East, where it will likely be Indiana in the conference finals (an Indiana team that would only be the 5th seed out West). It be so much better this way. But it won't happen, because while the West has the better teams, the East has the bigger markets and the bigger purse.