1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Karl is the only one qualified to coach this team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GoRox2013, Apr 30, 2014.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Barkley(and the Game 7 refs) in 1993. MJ in 1996. Iverson in 2001. And Kobe in 2009. If those guys are the reason you never won it all, I think you can sleep soundly at night.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sure he has but more often than not, he's gone home in the first round.

Cleveland: ~2 years, 1 playoff appearance, 1 first round exit
    Golden State: ~2 years, 1 playoff appearance, L Conference Semifinals
    Seattle: 6 years, 6 playoff appearances, 2 first round exits, 2 Semifinals exits, 1 Conference finals exit, 1 Finals lost
    Milwaukee: 5 years, 4 playoff appearances, 3 first round exits, 1 Conference Finals exit
    Denver: 8 1/2 years, 9 playoff appearances, 8 first round exits, 1 Conference Finals exit

3. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Offer the Spurs two first round picks for Popovich. Morey can find late 2 rounders to draft to make up the lost of 2 first.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Those stats don't mean much to me.

How many times was he the favorite?

5. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Always really liked Karl when he was coaching the SuperSonics..

Seems like his teams don't really have a track record of great playoff success though.. That worries me a bit. I'd still take a flyer on him if McHale doesn't work out.

Still, I believe we are about the win the next 3 games and perhaps go really far, so I will give McHale the benefit of the doubt, for now.

6. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

How many of those was he actually favorites to win?

7. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

not enough emphasis on defense. couldn't do much with one ball dominant super star (melo).

8. ThaShark316_28

And Robert Pack in 1994, Nick Van Exel in 1995...lmfaoooooooooo.

9. chandlerbang21

NO TO KARL! no more relying on fast break baskeball. This team handicaps themselves with this strategy as we see. Rockets need a coach that has a defensive focus and offense involves more off ball movement

10. Nero

Nero Member

No no no no NO NO NO

George Karl is the John Stockton of coaches - pretty good, but a dirty cheater cheap shot loser.

11. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I don't knock anybody who's opinion is different than mine. What bothers me is incorrect assumptions about a player or coach based off inaccurate information. For example, "Adelman can't coach defense". "George Karl can't get out the 1st round", or "I don't want a coach like Karl (or Adelman) that can't win a ring". Have they won a ring? No. Does that mean their not great coaches? Absolutely not. When making idiotic comments like these, you have to factor in the expectations of each of the rosters Karl has coached, the roster talent on each team, then the level of competition they lost against. It's easy to say coach Karl hasn't won a ring, but how about we add in who he lost against. It's easy to say Karl can't coach defense, but I bet you didn't factor in how good those Seattle teams were defensively.

What you ultimately have is a veteran coach who's coached MULTIPLE different style rosters and got different results from all of them. What's important to know is that Karl (nor Adelman) never cherry picked certain teams like Phil Jackson. They coached whoever they had available and got great results most of the time. THIS is why George Karl is the best available and most qualified coach for this team.

1 person likes this.
  12. count_dough-ku

Laugh all you want. The Rockets are on the verge of their 8th first round defeat in their last 9 playoff appearances. And that's in a 17 year span, so that means they didn't even make it to the postseason 8 of those years. Frankly that's a pathetic performance over a span of nearly 2 decades.

So I'd be hesitant to mock a guy whose teams made the playoffs 20 out of the last 21 seasons he's coached and who led 3 different franchises to the Conference Finals including one to the NBA Finals.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Uhhhh...this is acient news.

14. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Isn't the bigger problem the fact that he's been in failing health for the last few years and has shown little to no interest to returning to coaching?

Why don't we just resurrect the body of Red Aurbach?

15. count_dough-ku

I agree that his health is a concern, but when did he ever say he has no interest in coaching? I thought I read that he was PO'd when he got fired by the Nuggets.

16. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Lionel Hollins

17. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

The most recent news on him is that he wants a head office job with the Cavs:

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2014/04/if_the_cleveland_cavaliers_wan.html

It sounds like he's on a path like Phil Jackson, the travelling is hardest part of the coaching job. It's what really takes a toll on your body.

18. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Give me a Van Gundy. I don't care which one.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...s_coaching_search_with_names_to_monitor043014

If the Cleveland Cavaliers want a president, George Karl declares his candidacy

20. Nook

Nook Member

George Karl

Old: check

Poor health: check (cancer x2)

History of underachieving in playoffs: check, including two of the worst first round upsets in NBA history.

Meh... not a bad coach, but will pass.