1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Floyd Murder Trial

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

an, don’t let it bother you. It is sport. I mean, it’s kind of like crabbing at the jetty level sport, but sport.

jiggyfly and deb4rockets like this.
  2. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I don’t do criminal law, but my friends who do feel the same way. The jury’s feeling of right or wrong drives decisions and they find a way to reach a conclusion that meets that feeling. That is the case in civil litigation as well, for things like environmental cases, employment, meaningful personal injury.

Nook likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

4. Nook

Nook Member

This case isn’t about whether George Floyd is a good person. This case is about whether they are criminally liable for George Floyd’s death. It is irrelevant.

We get it, you don’t like black people.

5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I'm not a lawyer - I'm higher up on the food chain than a lawyer because lawyers work for me. (Good work, working for a Mexican industrialist) With that said, I have outstanding legal instincts. I, too, believe that the venue should have been changed and that situation gives grounds for an eventual appeal if Chauvin is convicted. I hope the jurors are not paid in the same counterfeit $20 bills that Floyd was attempting to fraudulently pass off to local Minneapolis shop owners. As a reminder, this is why the cops were called on Floyd - because what shop owner is going to confront a 6'6" physically imposing man? Chauvin had an impossible job that day. Truly unfortunate that Floyd's actions gave rise to the entire situation.

The Real Shady likes this.
  6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have at it. I pass.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I brought this up on a Minneapolis based discussion about the $27 million settlement the city paid.
    LEO Chauvin was on duty and acting in official capacity of the city therefore the city is liable. George Floyd could've been a serial murder and Chauvin still would've exceeded his duty. It's not his duty to punish Floyd, determine his guilt or judge him for past actions especially one's that didn't even happen in Minnesota. His duty was to take Floyd into custody and he did that as Floyd was not only cuffed but had two other LEO on top of him.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

We have a great analog for "what if this were a white guy". Tony Timpa.

Astrodome likes this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Latest news Chauvin's attorneys are trying to delay the trial over the $27 million settlement and how that might affect jurors. Jurors are not sequestered and the judge will interview the jurors tomorrow to see what they know of the settlement.

Chauvin's lawyers are also trying to get evidence from a 2019 arrest of George Floyd where he acted similarly to his 2020 arrest including saying he was clausterphopic so he didn't want to be in the back of the car and even calling out for his mother. This evidence was previously not admitted but the current judge is considering the request.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

AutoTrader dismemberer Steven Avery and his Wrestlemania nephew notwithstanding.

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I really hope the cop that held his knee to George Floyd’s neck does some hard jail time

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully the cop that murdered him won't be around to murder people anymore.

That's something George Floyd never did.

This isn't about trying to make the victim of the murder into a saint. Nobody is arguing that he was a saint. We are arguing that he was a victim of murder.

edwardc, Andre0087 and DVauthrin like this.
  13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Also, not to defend or diminish what Floyd did in the past, but he didn't stab a pregnant woman. He held her up at gun point and was convicted and served his time.

edwardc, DVauthrin and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I don’t care what George did in the past the way he died in the recent past is what I’m concerned about

edwardc, DVauthrin and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

It really doesn't matter TBH. If he was doped up and confronted by the cops, he was probably in the same frame of mind. Just because he didn't die back then doesn't mean it was more or less relevant.

I find it a shame we are more interested in blaming individuals instead of the system as a whole.

DVauthrin, rocketsjudoka and B-Bob like this.
  16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Chauvin meet Bubba...

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Likely this evidence won't be admitted per the argument you're making but the defense is going to argue that George Floyd in was responsible for his own death. They will argue that why Chauvin didn't let up on Floyd was because of the previous arrest of Floyd so when Floyd was calling for his mother this was just part of an act he had done before.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Two jurors have been excused because the settlement affected their view of Chauvin. Another juror has been added. It is looking very possible the trial get's delayed further.

mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Takes a special kind of scumbag to hold a knife to a pregnant womans stomach. What a POS.