1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Geniuses 'likelier to take drugs'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Feb 26, 2013.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Clever children 'likelier to take drugs'

Intelligent children are more likely than their less intelligent peers to use illegal drugs in later life, according to a study which has found a link between high IQ scores and drug misuse.

Children who were in the top third in terms of IQ when aged five and 10 were found to be at significantly increased risk of having taken illegal drugs such as cannabis and cocaine when they became older.

link

1 person likes this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I would approve this thread if I could remember the topic.

1 person likes this.
  3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Cool pic, no proof, no point.

4. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

I wonder what numbers shrooms, lsd and dmt contributes.

5. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

well francis crick did take lsd

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What's a DMT? A German sports car?

7. TdashDUB

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q6RBOIgtzEE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. KingCheetah

You've never talked to the Machine Elves?

9. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

I thought this was going to be about people who worked at Apple Stores

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So was that what I was experiencing that time when I was floating around the ceiling, looking down on myself sitting on my bed? I thought it was something else, but maybe no.

I can't remember. Did you ever change that ratty fur skirt?

11. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

interesting...

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Is that why our culture is 80% mediocre and mercenary?

13. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

14. TdashDUB

There's actually been studies that show people who've taken shrooms often leave the trip with a better overall appreciation for life and view the value of life and other lives under a broader light.

This stuff really intrigues me.

15. TdashDUB

Good ol' Timmy

16. KingCheetah

Description by McKenna

McKenna's first published mention of the machine elves in his and his brother Dennis' book The Invisible Landscape (published 1975):

We especially refer to the apparently autonomous and intelligent, chaotically mercurial and mischievous machine elves encountered in the trance state, strange teachers whose marvelous singing makes intricate toys out of the air and out of their own continually transforming body geometries.[3]

Later, McKenna describes the experience in more detail. The following is a partial transcription of a workshop titled "Time and Mind" - The Tykes.[4][5] At about minute one or two of a DMT trip, according to McKenna, one may burst through a chrysanthemum-like mandala, and find:

There's a whole bunch of entities waiting on the other side, saying "How wonderful that you're here! You come so rarely! We're so delighted to see you!"

They're like jewelled self-dribbling basketballs and there are many of them and they come pounding toward you and they will stop in front of you and vibrate, but then they do a very disconcerting thing, which is they jump into your body and then they jump back out again and the whole thing is going on in a high-speed mode where you're being presented with thousands of details per second and you can't get a hold on [them ...] and these things are saying "Don't give in to astonishment", which is exactly what you want to do. You want to go nuts with how crazy this is, and they say "Don't do that. Pay attention to what we're doing".

What they're doing is making objects with their voices, singing structures into existence. They offer things to you, saying "Look at this! Look at this!" and as your attention goes towards these objects you realise that what you're being shown is impossible. It's not simply intricate, beautiful and hard to manufacture, it's impossible to make these things. The nearest analogy would be the Fabergé eggs, but these things are like the toys that are scattered around the nursery inside a U.F.O., celestial toys, and the toys themselves appear to be somehow alive and can sing other objects into existence, so what's happening is this proliferation of elf gifts, which are moving around singing, and they are saying "Do what we are doing" and they are very insistent, and they say "Do it! Do it! Do it!" and you feel like a bubble inside your body beginning to move up toward your mouth, and when it comes out it isn't sound, it's vision. You discover that you can pump "stuff" out of your mouth by singing, and they're urging you to do this. They say "That's it! That's it! Keep doing it!".

We're now at minute 4.5 [of the trip] and you speak in a kind of glossolalia. There is a spontaneous outpouring of syntax unaccompanied by what is normally called "meaning". After a minute or so of this the whole thing begins to collapse in on itself and they begin to physically move away from you. Usually their final shot is that they wave goodbye and say "Deja vu! Deja vu!".

McKenna's reported crafting ability of the machine elves finds a parallel in tales of the dwarves of Norse mythology which were known for their ability to craft unique artefacts with magical properties. If machine elves are purely a manifestation of internal human psychological processes, the Norse dwarves may share a common origin in human consciousness.[citation needed]
    Other mentions of the DMT elves

McKenna was not the first to experience or report DMT elves, even if they probably owe most of their popularization to him. In an article published in The Journal of Mental Science (now the British Journal of Psychiatry) in 1958 under the title “Dimethyltryptamine Experiments with Psychotics”, researcher Stephen Szara (the chemist who first studied the human effects of DMT) talked about how one of his subjects under the influence of DMT had experienced “strange creatures, dwarves or something” at the beginning of the trip.[6]

In a book entitled Psychedelic Monographs and Essays Volume 5,[7] Peter Meyer, a philosopher, mathematician and developer of Terence McKenna's "Timewave Zero" software, spoke about the DMT elves. He reported a subject's experience of the elves after ingestion of DMT: "The elves were dancing in and out of the multidimensional visible language matrix". Meyer associates this experience with that talked about by Walter Evans-Wentz, who expressed that a world of entities such as fairies and elves exists "as a supernormal state of consciousness into which men and women may enter temporarily in dreams, trances, or in various ecstatic conditions".[8] Meyer believes that the objective space that one may enter on DMT, and the faerie world described by Evans-Wentz, are one and the same.[9]

link

1 person likes this.
  17. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

soooo DMT= dreaming while you are awake....= Inception?

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Shrooms are an experience in itself, but I fall under the 80% category.

That's pretty cool. I've had reoccurring dreams where I broke from reality. Pretty disturbing but apparently psilocybin can do that to some people.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I saw him give a lecture in the late '60's. It was highly entertaining.

20. TdashDUB

Care to elaborate???