1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Genetic editing & improvement?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by droxford, Jul 17, 2018.

?

What are your thoughts on genetic editing & improvement?

1. I approve: I think it's okay to genetically modify humans to any extent

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. I semi-approve: I think *some* genetic editing is acceptable (explain)

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. I do not approve: Genetic editing & improvement is not acceptable (explain)

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. droxford

droxford Member

What are your thoughts on genetic editing & improvement?
    If you approve or disapprove, why?
    If you semi-approve, where do you draw the line? (and based on what?)
    What are your opinions on its legality and morality?
    What do you think is in the future for this?

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This will not a BFD 100 years into the future.

justtxyank likes this.
  4. Bandwagoner

What about in 250 years in the future when this dude is flexing on you?

[​IMG]

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I find it acceptable for disease prevention. That's about it. Unfortunately countries like China and Russia will have no qualms about editing all kinds of things, basically genetic soldiers and such which will be used as a justification for the US to do it.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Give it 20

We're teaming up with Japan to build Voltron.

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

It will happen or the human race will be obsolete. To compete against machines in the future humans have to be super strong, and super intelligent, able to survive under many conditions (like global warming for example), that is my opinion anyway.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Enthusiasticly for with informed concent.

Criminal and immoral without

Which makes it difficult to vote in the poll.

9. bongman

bongman Member

I know very little about genetic manipulation but from the small information I read, depending on the modification, that genetic trait will either die with the host or it can be inherited by the offspring. If the latter, it is completely possible that humans may no longer be recognizable in the form we know today.

If this is allowed in the future, I feel that there has to be very strict federal regulations on what can be done via genetics.

10. conquistador#11

In the wrong hands, Some crazy guy could come up with the idea of creating the perfect master race.
    but I would love to be mel gibson in forever young and never age, minus the racist part. We can't even cure balding so I won't hold my breath.

11. Senator

Senator Member

Diseases come about for a reason. The elements fighting against humans for destroying everything around them. If anything, we need to consider sterilization for many parts of the world.

This is s very dangerous game that will not end well, and cause more wars. More resource depletion for too many people.

12. droxford

droxford Member

If other countries genetically engineer their future generations for extreme improvement, won't that mean that countries who don't will be physically inferior in many ways. Would you want that for your kids? For them to be competing in a global society against people who are genetically superior?

13. Bandwagoner

WE MUST NOT ALLOW A SUPER BABY GAP!!!!!

[​IMG]

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

This is super complex at a technical level.

1. Behavior, diet, sleep, even deep breathing can literally modify your genome in modern ways. The old school model of static unchanging DNA w traits written in stone is gone. Heck a test tube baby is slightly different than an identical embryo that gets a normal trip through the Fallopian tubes.

2. Some of THE most promising cancer treatments involve genetic tweaks for the immune system.

It's coming. I think the idea of genetically building an Arnold-like army is pretty far fetched at this point. There just isn't much research investment in it, or not in the public w any reputable talented scientists involved.

Disclaimer: am not a geneticist but am married to one. Did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express even.

Invisible Fan, Exiled and MadMax like this.
  15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Be the change you seek in the world. o_O

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I find it’s absolutely amazing and completely understandable that our gene is affected by not just our parent genes but the environments and even mental states. Maybe the seemingly rise in mental illness is related to our fairly recent society environment...

On gene editing, cautious for sure, but we will probably see lot of fear based on unknown (pretty normal) and we still know very little.

Gene vaccines is another very promising area and if that can be passed down the line, hummm... why not ?

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If I could genetically modify myself, I'd get my hair back and a new back. Heck, just toss in my 23 year old body. Any chance of that? I'm ready. :cool:

18. Senator

Senator Member

Can you elaborate on this? How far is it from HGH, and why would countries like Russia not use it in the water for regular citizens once they figure out how to tweak it?

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You guys know Morey is all over this. Why do you think he keeps Hakeem around so much? He's collecting that DNA for the future...

On a serious note, to me, this looks like it will be the biggest jump in our technology of all time. Maybe much won't happen within our lifetimes, but it seems entirely possible humans can become essentially perfect, disease free, physically and mentally enhanced, immortal beings once they really learn how to manipulate genes. Who knows what the world would do with that kind of power, sucks we likely won't benefit much from it, but it could be amazing for the future generations (if it doesn't go horribly in some evil plot).

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Good question. Here's my understanding: one of the largest reasons we have no "cure for cancer," with none really in sight, is that it's not like other diseases (viruses or bacteria). Literally, every tumor is different b/c it springs from mutated genetic material from a given person's DNA. Joe Blow's liver cancer and Jane Doe's skin cancer literally have nothing in common, and even if they both had skin cancer, it could be very, very different. It's like trying to come up with a "cure" that could exterminate both rats and pigeons while leaving all other animals alone.

So, the genetic treatments (especially new ones using CRISPR) learn a specific person's tumor and then "train" the person's immune system, genetically, to have new tools or amplified existing tools to target that specific tumor strain.

So it would not be something you could put in the drinking water, because it would be irrelevant to 99.99% of the population (or perhaps even detrimental -- I do not know.)

Please note also: since cancer can mutate every time it divides into new cells (which is constant), even one tumor can have different genetic identities within it. You can fine tune a cancer treatment and the damned stuff can mutate out from under your plan, on the fly. Just a devilish disease, "the emperor of all maladies." (That's a great book, if you're interested in the real scoop.)

Senator and conquistador#11 like this.