1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Generic Nuggets 2008-09 Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nuggets4, Nov 3, 2008.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I can't believe the Nugs gave up AI -- only time is going to tell us who won this trade.

Right now my gut reaction is big advantage to the Pistons. It's disappointing for me because I've always enjoyed the Nugs -- look for Melo to go off this year with all the extra shots.

2. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Good deal for both teams.

Denver had two stars who dominate the ball. Melo can now do his thing. When he gets doubled, Billups is a great shooter. Melo/Billups combo makes a lot more sense than AI/Billups. Billups also brings defensive stability at the point. And although Melo and Iverson are great scorers, I never thought either of them were clutch. Billups is Mr. Big Shot, and he's bringing that rep to Denver. McDyess replaces what Camby brought to the table. The "caution" sign in Denver is that Melo MUST attack the basket now. Iverson is gone, and Melo can't settle for the jumpshot anymore. Not when Billups, JR Smith, Kleiza, and gang are waiting on the perimeter for you to draw defenses and kick the ball out.

On the other hand with Detroit, they thrive on the team-ball concept. They depend on each other and the system. But when something goes wrong, their offense disappears. Not anymore. Iverson can create offense by himself. so if the play is broken, give it to Iverson. He'll penetrate and dish, or he'll get off his own shot. Detroit NEEDED someone to dominate the ball at times. With AI, they get their go-to guy when he's needed. The question is how well AI will play when the system is on.

In summary:

Denver Pros: More stability both on offense and defense.
    Denver Cons: Melo has to break his bad habbit of settling for the jumpshot. With all the perimeter weapons, Melo has to be the point of attack either driving to the basket, or posting up.

Detroit Pro: Iverson is the go-to guy. If the offense struggles to run plays, give it to AI, and he'll create it.
    Detroit Cons: How will Iverson fit into Detroit's well oiled offensive play machine. Will he stop the ball on offense? time will tell

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

The Nuggets never scared me as a team under the Melo era. Why? Because Melo doesn't scare me. KMart doesn't scare me. None of their players scare me. George Karl has never seemed to corral all the players into a singular vision and goal and that starts with Melo. Melo is a great player but I expected better from him. For a superstar and franchise player he underwhelms me.

So does the rest of the roster; they all underwhelm me. I knew when they traded for AI originally that it wouldn't take them anywhere. I happen to like this trade for the Nuggets as Billups is actually a more well rounded PG and fits with Melo better, not to mention a better defensive player. But it's still not enough in the West. Their bigs are all underwhelming especially now that Camby is gone.

And no matter what stats you say, defense is a Nuggets problems. They play defense whenever they feel like it, it's not a principle among them except when Camby was there.

It all starts with Melo. That team mirrors what he is: a talented but underwhelming franchise player.

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

The Nuggets have about as much chance of getting homecourt as the Grizzlies do of winning the title this year.

5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Count me in the "great move for both teams" camp. Freeing up JR Smith and Rodney Stuckey are two outcomes of the trade that I expect to be significant. Hollinger seems to think that the Pistons may use Iverson as a mid-season trade chip this year. I wonder what they are looking for...

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Nugs4: From an outsider's perspective, the deal makes no sense to me because the Nuggets are still running in mud. There's nothing worse in sports than mediocrity.

It makes no sense to me because it's a band-aid with little potential. Any deal where a team with no chance at the title acquires a 30+ player on a multiyear megamillion dollar contract is a bad deal, IMHO. They may improve slightly with this deal, even that's debateable, but it's not enough to justify the long term ramifications. They would have been much better off trying to find a partner willing to give up picks or young players.

7. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Lots to address here.

I don't think we'll be as fast, but I think we'll stay in the top 5 when it comes to pace. CB liking the half court game helps us though because that is our weakness. With JR, Kenyon & Nene, we're going to run no matter what. Billups will help us when the fastbreak breaks down. As for our defense, I've actually been impressed. We sucked at D near the end of last year, but I've seen a new focus there this year. Even JR & Melo have been busting their ass on D. Billups will help with that.

^^ This. I couldn't have said it any better.

I'd love it if you were right, but I don't think you are. Before this season, I had us as the 9th seed. Now, after seeing the effort and with the trade, I think we could go as high as 6th. That's best case scenario though.

Dead on -- especially the cons. Getting rid of AI opens up the middle a little more, so hopefully that'll help Melo.

You may be right. Honestly, I could see it going that way. However, my view of it is a little different. I suck at the finances, but best case scenario with AI expiring and all of that jazz, we're barely under the cap. I mean, not even MLE levels. Am I worried about what our 2011 cap situation is going to be? You're damn right. That said, I'm tired of worrying about the future. I've been through 3 rebuilding projects in the last 15 years alone -- NONE of which worked. The Nuggets could have done the safer move, kept AI and done the Hunter & Atkins for Tinsley deal. But that move doesn't improve the team. This one does.

All I know is that a front office that I have criticized repeatedly for just going for "talent" instead of team building finally did a move that makes basketball sense instead of talent. This opens up our offense and gives us more flow. It improves our defense. It improves our leadership.

Plus, the fact that he's a former Buff doesn't hurt. ;)

EDIT - BTW, if this appears a little jumbled, my apologies. Work is crazy right now, but I didn't want to leave you hanging.

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Heard that Juwan was waived today.

If nothing else, you should be better just by releasing the curse from your roster ;)

9. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Why? Guy was bounced around the NBA, picked up for scraps by Dumars, won a ring, then went to defend the title in lost, has had PLENTY of success in the post season (sorry this is my bias since we haven't had success since 97') AND he got a fatty extension not too long ago.

He's had so much more success than alot of other guys in the league. I don't feel bad for him one bit.

10. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

He'll be back. Dice is being bought out, so Juwan's not going anywhere.

11. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I still see Iverson like this:
    [​IMG]

Too many blockbusters these past two years, Shaq, Iverson, Gasol, Garnett, Allen, Rashard Lewis.

12. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

great deal for nuggets. Finally someone that will control the game and they get a young kid as well. They have a leader who will play defense, and it release playing time for JR smith.

Bad deal for pistons. So who you going to play? Rodney/Rip, Rodney/AI or AI/Rip? If they trust rodney, then AI and rip will have to fight for minutes.
    If AI plays PG, then rodney will still be playing rotation minutes, and instead of learning PG duties from Billups, he now be learning Isos from AI.
    If you take out Rip, you be losing defense. And Rip plays so much better with Billups.
    Johnson and Maxiell is still inconsistent. Unless Mcdyess returns. Their front court will goes from solid to inconsistency.
    All pistons is getting will be an explosive scorer, but defensive wise, its 1 way ticket to hell. Billups will be missing of course, and rip will lose some minutes to AI. There goes their back court.

13. tsunami

tsunami Member

So you also need to change your coach. Don't think Carl is good at half court game plan.

14. matrix26

matrix26 Member

if they let AI walk they dont get cap space. its not like you can just go use his expiring 20 mill on anyone you want. they woudl have lost AI for nothing instead got CB.

amazing deal for denver.

15. matrix26

matrix26 Member

:rolleyes:

16. matrix26

matrix26 Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

17. matrix26

matrix26 Member

spurs and suns are old (but still good, not great). dallas looks good? 1-2. portland hasnt proven anything yet. its easy to nit pick and find all the negatives for a team.

but fact is the nuggets are better now and in the future compared to 48 hours ago.

18. matrix26

matrix26 Member

all in? by saving money and getting younger, while improving the team? going all in is trading a young future star for a present star whos much older. they didnt do that at all.

they improved their TEAM by a lot.

19. matrix26

matrix26 Member

i disagree. the nuggets were smart - they were losing AI for nothing and got a damn good piece in CB. in addition, they save money and have a HUGE TE they can use later on to imrpove even more.

not to mention how much better of a team they now are. they have better pieces - melo/AI didnt work together.

they didnt sacrifice the future but still got better in the present. when doing a deal you cant ask for much mroe.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Billups helps the Nuggets, but I don't see them keeping him unless he really transforms the Nuggets into a contender. I could see the Lakers trying to get their grubby hands on Billups.