1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Generic Nuggets 2008-09 Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nuggets4, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

I would say feel free to continue the AI-Billups trade discussion in its original thread, but there's not much of the deal being discussed in there. Not really sure what happened.

I have a lot to say on this, but the short version of this is that it gives us someone who fixes our biggest problem -- halfcourt offense in close games. This isn't going to stop us from running. It is going to give us someone who can direct an offense in the final minutes of close games. Saturday's Lakers game was the perfect example -- we had three potent scorers on the floor, but all were trying to go Iso. There are only two players who can consistently go Iso in the final minutes of a game and pull it off -- LeBron and Kobe.

I love AI and will always have great memories of watching him here in Denver. I honestly hope he gets a ring one day -- he's an ultimate warrior. I still think the AI deal was a deal the Nugs had to do. If you have a shot at greatness, you have to take the risk -- just like you guys did with Artest. It didn't work. It's not Melo's fault, it's not AI's fault. It just didn't work. Now it's time to try something new.

BTW, if Dice is bought out (now there's some question on whether he is or not -- and if he is don't get your hopes up, he's staying in Detroit), here's a fun comparison for you.

$88 million payroll this season:
    * AI
    * JR
    * Melo
    * KMart
    * Camby
    Bench - Kleiza, Nene, AC

$71 million payroll this season:
    * Chauncey
    * JR
    * Melo
    * KMart
    * Nene
    Bench - Kleiza, AC, Balkman/Birdman

I honestly think the second lineup is better. I'm thrilled with the team this year. Pre-season, I didn't think they'd make the playoffs. Now, I'm optimistic. Not only because of this trade, but because of the different attitude the team has. They working hard. They're playing damn good defense. Karl is actually, shocking, coaching. Even if they don't make the playoffs, if they keep playing like this it will be one of the most entertaining and rewarding seasons as a Nugs fan since 2003.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, I actually like the deal for both teams.........

3. Nuggets4

BTW, even though I disagree with the main point of the article, KD has some good points in his article on the trade.

4. stonecold999

stonecold999 Member

well said, that's the same thought I had.

analysis

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think the Nugz would have struggled to make the playoffs with AI or without AI.

Melo is a great scorer but can't play defense to save his life.

DD

6. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I guess the same can be said for Tracy, Lucky we have Ron and Shane......
    I thought he played pretty good defense in China this year.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I don't lke this deal for the Nuggets.

The terms thirty-something + long term deal = not a successful rebuilding package.

I think we can all agree that the Nuggets are not a contender with or w/o this package. They should of waited it out and used AI's expiring to get in the 2010 extravaganza.

Just my opinion.

8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

That is a good point, Bosh would fit nice in Denver.......

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Right now yall remind me a lot of the Cavs. Except with no defense, instead you have offense. Built the same way. The sad part is they are in the east, the Nuggets will die in the west. For the time being anyways.

10. Nuggets4

The "no defense" thing needs to die a violent death. Last year's numbers are in my signature. This year (granted, only 3 games), we're 11th in defense and 22nd in offense. Defense is not our problem. KD has pointed this out repeatedly.

11. stonecold999

stonecold999 Member

again,

It's a good trade for both of these two teams.

Denver - the history has already proven this team will not go far in the playoffs as long as both of AI and Carmelo on this team, and one of the main reason is that this team does not play defense at all. As we all know, it's about defense in the playoffs, and defense wins championship.

Billups is a perfect ideal PG for this Denver team, he will run their offense, and let Carmelo do his things, meanwhile, he's a above average 3pt shooter, and capable of knocking down 3s. Last but not least, he can still penetrate and create shots for his teammmates, such as J.R smith, and K-mart.

Offensivly this team might not score as many as last season, but personally I do think this team is better than last year's team. And they're in the same class of the 2nd level teams in the west, like San Antonio, Phoneix, Portland, and Dallas.

Detroit - Joe Dumas has promised the people in Detroit that he would make some changes during the offseason, 1st the Tmac Rumor, 2nd the Carmelo Rumor, and now finally they are getting Allen Iverson. This is another good move by Joe Dumas, reason being,

in this off season, some teams in the east has made some excellent moves to improve themselves, CAVS, 76ERS, and RAPTORS. In order for the Pistons to have a chance go deep in the playoffs, they know this team is not good enough, because from last couple of years, they didn't have enough offense power to stay with Celtics, or even the CAVS.

The best thing of this move is the cap situation for the Pistons in next year, with AI is getting off the book, as well as R. Wallace's contract is coming to end this season. They really have some cap room to sign somebody in the upcoming off season. Their young bench is getting better as the season comes along, Stuckey, Amir Johnson, and Jason Maxiell. Now they are able to compete with anyone in the east, maybe except for Boston.

With all that being said, these two teams have made a right move by swapping these two players.

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

I just feel sorry for Chauncy. That's all I have to say.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Do you think the Nuggets will retain their high pace with Billups running things? He likes to play a half-court game. If he really slows things down, that means the Nuggets will be tested more in their half-court defense. Will that make them more or less effective on that end?

I like Billups a lot, I think he's severely underrated, but I'm not sure about the fit on this team.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Actually.. Fair enough. But not Cavalier quality.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Absolutely masterful trade by the Pistons. Dumars completely redeemed himself for tossing that ridiculous contract at Billups by not only moving him but actually getting quality talent in return. Seriously, could you have come with a better salary dump on the Pistons end? They get their new guy, a new direction, options at then end of the season and a player that will keep fans in their seats in the meantime.

The Nuggets on the other hand are essentially going "all in" with a gamble like this. The problem is they're not good enough to think like that. Everybody knows they've coveted a quality PG for years and I guess they reached desperation point considering Billups' contract, age and likelihood of regressing.

I don't foresee this move paying off for the Nuggets. I didn't take them seriously before this trade and I certainly won't now.

16. noppeper

noppeper Member

I think the key to the Nuggets feeling good about this deal is JR Smith. This year he's driving hard to the basket, playing tough defense and even limiting his tendency to go for high-risk, highlight grabbing plays...so far. He essentially *could* replace the offense AI brought to the table. As a matter of fact, this year the offense has flowed much more smoothly with JR on the floor, with the ball in his hands. On the other hand, anytime AI catches the rock, the flow seems to stop. Bear in mind that this is a very small sample size, but I believe management is seeing this not only in actual games, but in practice also.

One thing to note, and this might be my incorrect interpretation, but the Nuggets appear to have a team concept as the focus this year. Play tough team defense and move the ball efficiently on offense. Unfortunately, these are qualities that AI never brought to the table, as it was an infinite loop of isos between Melo and AI, and they never really meshed together. On the flip side, Chauncey is a great fit for that ideology, at least on paper.

If the Nuggets play as hard and focused as they have their first few games, not only are they going to be a lot of fun to watch, but they might make more noise come playoff time than most people are expecting.

17. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Overrated, boring trade. Detroit doesn't really care about Iverson (and they shouldn't as he has no correlation with winning in today's league), but they get an expiring contract for Chauncey. Denver isn't going to make any noise in the WC for a long time unless they hit the jackpot in the draft... 2 years in a row.

Yawn.

18. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

LMAO...why is it the perception that the Nuggets ha a bad season last year? They won 50 games an look better than last year. They might get homecourt advantage after this trade especially if they coul keep Antonio.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It was a good trade for Denver. It let Melo do what he does best which is score in bunches.

20. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

The Nuggets are what they are --- a regular season team that will outscore mediocre teams 8 times out of 10. They rely on streak shooting and struggle in half court sets against teams that play defense. Their playoff record from their last 3 appearances is 3-12.

New Orleans, Houston, Utah, LA and Phoenix are going to be much better than them for some time. I can't see them beating San Antonio in the playoffs. Dallas is looking pretty good under Carlisle. Portland is always going to be a future threat.

Homecourt advantage. LOL.