1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

General question about betting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Jul 2, 2023.

?

If you now the outcome before you offer a wager you are? Is that ok?

1. Yes - any advantage is ok

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No - that is pretty slimy

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If a friend or acquaintance offers you a bet in which they KNOW the answer already - is that ethical? To me that seems very slimy.

I am down with FAIR bets, where both parties put up equal risk and have some fun, but if the outcome is already known and the other person says....I will bet you $100 it is the opposite so you take the bet, and lose.......seems dirty to me.....especially if there is information that is NOT PUBLIC that they already knew.

Thoughts?

DD

#1 DaDakota, Jul 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
  2. Buck Turgidson

I once lost a "bet" because I was adamant that Kim Cattrall was in Temple of Doom, not Kate Capshaw, I knew the difference I just had the names confused. My bro and his buddy knew I was wrong, but still let me pay up the 12-pack I wagered.

TimDuncanDonaut and B-Bob like this.
  3. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yeah but in that everyone gets beer....lol

DD

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would not make that bet with a person that I wished to continue to know, at least not on any wager of real value and not without warning them in advance.

Would gladly make that bet in Vegas since they are that slimy and it'd fit right in with the ethos of the place.

Yung-T, Invisible Fan and DaDakota like this.
  5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

That is fair......or you make the bet and say....nah....you don't pay, I already knew the answer.....

DD

6. Buck Turgidson

Exactly.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Your waifu def is up to something.

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I bet someone on Twitter that FVV's 3rd year was guaranteed, as everyone was busy speculating, a guy took the bet KNOWING already that it wasn't.....even offered terms of the amount.....

I just find that highly unethical - but at least now I know.

DD

Yung-T likes this.
  9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm not sure I'd call that a bet. To me a bet is about an event that hasn't occurred yet. I can bet on whether the Astros win today. But after the game is over, the outcome is certain...we're just arguing over the news. In an instance where you're just disagreeing over facts that have already occurred, I don't think I'd call that a bet.

I googled "definition of bet" and this came up:

bet
    verb
    1. 1.
      risk something, usually a sum of money, against someone else's on the basis of the outcome of a future event, such as the result of a race or game.

Invisible Fan and DaDakota like this.
  10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

What would you call it then? I told him that if he knew already that it was slimy - then he said, I called him slimy.......which isn't true if he didn't know as he claimed at the end after claiming he did know earlier.....

Anyway, doesn't matter, I paid up, and learned a lesson, about it.

DD

MadMax likes this.
  11. MadMax

I don't know...I edited to include a definition of bet I found on google. Not sure what I'd call it though. Just occurs to me that "slimy" behavior is much harder (though not impossible) to duplicate if the actual outcome you're betting on hasn't even occurred yet.

12. Buck Turgidson

Wager, not a bet?

13. MadMax

Yeah, I don't know. I can wager in Vegas...but I can't wager on events that have already been determined, right?

BTW, my take on the semantics of this thread is clearly the most important thing happening on the internet today and everyone should stop what they're doing and contribute

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

I would go to twitter and find a definitive answer but you've got to hoard those 600 views like toilet paper during the pandemic.

Yung-T, MadMax and DaDakota like this.
  15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Nah, I came here maybe wanting to know if my ethics were shared or maybe I was being a bit prudish ......I didn't have to take the bet, as I know the guy is an insider - but I thought it was for fun as we waited to hear, then when asked, he implied he knew and that I should have known better.....which I said if he did know that is slimy behavior - then said he didn't know and I had called him slimy

Which is not true if he didn't know....and blocked me - so I was like huh....maybe I am expecting too much - and asked here.

DD

Yung-T, Buck Turgidson and MadMax like this.
  16. MadMax

Yeah sorry for derailing for a bit. I got your point. I’m with you, I personally wouldn’t take money from someone for that.

Yung-T and Invisible Fan like this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Your friend treated that bet more like stock investing stuff than a personal bet that defines friendshpu or kills boredom.

DaDakota likes this.
  18. TimDuncanDonaut

It was Roosh right? :D:p

What was the wager?

19. Buck Turgidson

"I'll rochambeaux you for it"

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

These are the types of friendly bets that you make to get your buddies to eat crow and pay you for it. I've won money on things like the population of China and the spelling of victuals before from friends and friendly coworkers who swore up and down that their answer was correct.

Not sure what sort of bets you're talking about, @DaDakota....do you know people who are friends with NBA refs?

Buck Turgidson likes this.