1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gene Upshaw Passes Away

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yao_Mac, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

Gene Upshaw dead at 63

NFLPA executive director and Pro Football Hall of Famer Gene Upshaw has died. Upshaw, who was 63, had been fighting pancreatic cancer.

REPORTED BY NFL.com

2. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3545830

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Wow. I had no idea he was battling pancreatic cancer. All cancer is bad, but pancreatic cancer is one of the worst. A guy I grew up with died from it last year. It's almost untreatable, and it just withers you away.

RIP.

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Well I guess the players don't have to go to the trouble of trying to get him removed anymore. R.I.P.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

A great Raider...

RIP.

6. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

Wow, just heard on ESPN radio that he found out he had cancer on Sunday...so quick...4 days...that's crazy...

RIP Gene Upshaw...one of the all-time greats

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

RIP Gene.

DD

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

For those who aren't familiar with him.

[​IMG]

RIP

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

RIP...Wow...that sux..he's probably had it for a while and never knew...Cancer sux!!!

I wonder who'll take over now...One of the main issues in the CBA is Rookie salaries, which are out of control...

10. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

So I was listening to 610am right around 8 this morning and a caller was talking about rookie salaries being too high and how they probably won't be able to do anything about it until Upshaw is gone. Then I got out of my car and went into my apartment, came out 40 minutes later and turn it to 94.5, and the first thing I hear is that Gene Upshaw just died.

Very weird.

11. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Man. That's so weird. I had no idea he had pancreatic cancer. It's a real shame that pancreatic cancer is basically a death sentence when you're diagnosed with it :eek:

RIP Gene.