1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Gene Peterson & Jim Foley Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by across110thstreet, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I was a huge fan of Art Eckman, and I never thought the Rockets could find an announcer I liked as much. But Peterson won me over in no time, and I do miss hearing him and Foley. I don't even know the names of the current announcers.

#21 Rip Van Rocket, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Holy cow, you're old school! Here you go :

http://www.ksuowls.com/news/2009/9/16/GEN_0916095833.aspx?path=general

I used to fall asleep listening to Gene's Rockets broadcasts as a little kid on my old handheld radio when I should've been asleep. Those were some great times. Jim and Gene were one hell of a duo. He made a lot of lame seasons worth listening back then.

3. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

i loved the hate bullets coming out of his mouth when the jazz "forgot to turn on the clock." felt like the whole russian olympics buzzer beater, but without the hernia and injured dog the got kicked.

4. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

Just reading this brings a chill down my spine... Gene should be in the broadcasting hall of fame, no question.

5. Mashing

Mashing Member

My favorite thing about that was Foley chewing out someone in the background. Man he was PISSED.

Oh man, I have such fond memories of listening to the championship runs on the radio. I'd just lay on the floor and listen to the game. Ahhhh... good times.

6. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Anyone else used to tune them and the game on but with the TV muted?

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jell-O's jigglin'!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XVi98BZ2OwA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XVi98BZ2OwA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Gene Peterson is closest to a broadcaster "BEAST" I can think of. Hard to top ol' golden voice though.

Will give Gene the radio nod, Hearn the tv nod

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

The best, simply the best broadcasting duo ever. I loved them. I miss them.

9. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Not if you are a homer Rocket fan. I'll take Jim and Gene any day. Since you never really listened to them you can't say Hearn is better. Gene gave the game so much energy and did a great job with the play-by-play. Jim was always full of facts and quick with stats and together they made a great team. I listened to them for over twenty years and would even turn the tv down and tune them in.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

5 stars!!

"We got it anyway, We got it anyway, take it in, take it in, take it in."

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

THEY DIDN'T EVEN START THE CLOCK!?!?!?!?!?! THEY HAVEN'T STARTED THE CLOCK!!!!!! :mad:

12. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

"Oh, how sweet it is!"

13. OvenproofBadger

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?!

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

as a homer rocket fan, there's no way you can deny Chick's legacy and contributions on the broadcasting game...

I guess I qualify cause I listened to both :confused:

He made up some of the phrases that Gene would later use, terms that are so embedded in our basketball vernacular that to deny their source would be an insult to the game.

this is coming from one of Gene Peterson's biggest fans ever.

GP was more of a "Holy Cow" kind of guy ;)

15. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

YES. YES.

By the way, do you remember how they used to show the series' tally on the sign outside the Summit?

PHILA 3
    ROCKETS 2

Lucas' travel was on a potential game-winning layup against the Philadelphia 76ers / Doug Collins, Game 6 of the Conference Finals in 76-77. HUGE blown call. History-altering blown call.

The referee was Jake O'Donnell.
    Place of Birth - Philadelphia, PA
    Future Victim of the Clyde Drexler Karma.

I was at that game actually, I was six years old. I would love to have heard Gene's call of that. The Summit chanted "pro-test, pro-test" after the game. My dad had to explain to me what a protest was. Then the next morning, the heartbreaking reminder onthe sign outside:

PHILA 4
    ROCKETS 2

They left it up for a while, then put "Ice Capades Next Month" or something.

The Whopper. Joe C Meriwether. Bobby Joe Reid. Gene is the only really historical artifact left in the Rockets game presentation. People act like the Rockets began in 1993-1994. But Gene has seen the real history, John Shumate, Calvin Garrett, Rudy White, Tom Nissalke and his assistant Del Harris, Mike Newlin (most underrated Rocket of all time), Gavin Maloof, Easy Ed Ratleff, John Egan, Bill Willowby, Tricky Dick Vandervoort, Tom Henderson, Kevin Kunnert, Mike Dunleavy, Tom Owens.

THE HISTORY.

1 person likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

CB,

I erred, it was not a travel it was a "Charge" call and the defender was moving his feet.....

I mistyped.

But, glad you also remembered that....we are just old.

DD

17. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

I got so juiced that i did not even notice you said travel, that's right, it was a charge. Collins was such a flopper, what a disgrace...

18. wyo-ming

wyo-ming Rookie

"these two turds are missing a good one "GENE PETERSON a tense moment in a good(very poorly called ) game & i was mad as hell laughing my ass off because you knew he meant every word and felt it in Rocket red heart YES I AM SO OLD THEY ONLY HAD TWO REF'S BACK THEN but saying turd on the air was a pretty big deal at the time!! gene&jim the best play by play men in the biz i miss them a lot

19. Maxey

Maxey Member

holy snikes....i just got chills listening to that! Its just not the same without Gene & Jim on the radio.
    "How sweet it is!"

20. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Man, this got me all jacked up. NOW I'm ready for some Rocket ball!