1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gene Peterson is really hard on Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Another Brother, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Driving around town during some of the games I listen to Gene and Jim and they do a nice job in game coverage, but Gene wrecks Yao at every opportunity. He's constantly on Yao in a coach-like fashion about keeping the ball up and dunking it, and it seems to me like he gets more dissappointed at Yao's mistakes than any other team member.

I love their broadcast and wouldn't want any changes, but Gino needs to lighten up a little.:eek:

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

We all need to be hard on him. He's 7 FOOT 6! He might be finesse, but he needs to be aggressive.

3. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

JVG once said that no one is harder than Yao than Yao himself.

4. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

He also jumps on Tracy every time he misses a lay-up. He also doesn't like it when anyone starts to over dribble and he lets it be known.

5. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I myself am hard on Yao at times but only because I want him to live up to his potential. 13/5 games are disappointing but after getting the win and watching Yao give all his effort, I'm okay with it. It's like pushing your younger brother to be better and reach his potential. Sometimes they don't and it's disappointing but being negative gets nowhere. Just gotta keep pushing and encouraging him and make sure he gives A+ effort even if it doesn't always result in A+ results.

6. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

he is also on hard on Sura when Sura faints...

7. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Gene isn't nearly as hard on Yao as most of those on this message board. If Yao has a bad game all you have to do is look at the threads on here to see some of the most ridiculous bashings. Yao sucks at basketball, Yao can't rebound, Mutombo should be starting, Yao will never be the answer, etc, etc.
    Its pathetic really. Yao has improved every year he has been in the league, is still only 24, and is the 2nd best center in the league. What more do you people want at this point in time?

8. Blatz

The title of this thread should be Gene Peterson is really hard on "the Rockets" because he is not just picking on Yao. He jumps on everyone when they blow a lay-up or just plays stupid.

9. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

I'm not one for bashing, but he's been playing very soft lately. Maybe he's tired or something, but he's putting up 15/8 numbers for the last few weeks. We haven't seen a 25+ game from him in a while. There are times where he plays so freakn soft and there are also times where the offense freezes him out. It's not all his fault.

#9 sjackson0, Mar 30, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  10. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I'm just curious is that a running joke that I missed or what? I just keep reading that everywhere

12. Blatz

13. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

You are correct.

14. Toast

Toast Member

Yeah, when I'm watching the games, I think I'm most hard on Yao as well. I think maybe it's because, like you & others have said, he's the one with the upside and you can really see areas in his game that are underdeveloped. #1 - rebounding. #2 in my book - going up strong/finishing strong/absorbing contact.

I've noticed he's been holding the ball stronger with his hands which is good. When guards slap at the ball to strip it away and it doesn't go anywhere, refs are more likely to call a foul. If the guards strip it away, the refs are more likely to hold their whistle.

15. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

16. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Gene Peterson is critical of the Rockets cuz he probably loves the team like a family. Its hard to watch a team you love so much play, you only want the best for them. I think the criticisms are meant to be in good nature, he's just a fan. When the Rockets are in close games or when they pull out a big win, he goes crazy. Thats what we need for a radio personality. I wouldn't diss him totally, give Gene some cred.

Go Rockets!

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

I could write a book about his comments on Francis and Mobley; they drove him crazy just like they did me. He was becoming very critical of Francis before he was traded. So were many others in the media. Peterson is a rabid fan of the ROCKETS.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

traveled....missed it....traveled...missed it.

19. Glish21

Glish21 Member

I think half of this board has a hard on for yao. (sorry couldn't resist)

20. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

I think we should all be hard on Yao. He's far from a bust but is a far cry from what he should be doing.

I get blasted for not putting Yao on a pedastal. But I do put him on a pedastal, just not on its peak.

Yao really needs to do what Gene is suggesting. We can all be devout and adamant Rockets fans while being able to realisticly evaluating the strenghts and weaknesses of the roster members.