1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gene Krupa

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimrocker, Jan 15, 2020.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Gene Krupa was born today in 1909. Early on, he made the Benny Goodman Band swing and later had his own orchestra while appearing in several movies. He is probably the most influential modern drummer, inspiring many, including Keith Moon who borrowed a lot of style and licks from Gene.

Here's a few clips:

The Boiler Room Solo:

The Brush Drum Solo:

Drum Boogie (at the end, he plays matchsticks):

And of course, "Sing, Sing, Sing" with Benny Goodman:

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I was always more of a Buddy Rich guy because of his speed, power, and virtuoso technique. But I think Krupa was more musical and definitely more of a showman. But like Buddy himself said, there would be no Buddy if it weren't for Gene paving the way for him and everyone after him. They were great friends and recorded several albums together.

Man, I would have LOVED to been alive back in the day when big bands (and their drummers) ruled the world. I can listen to big bands all day long...and sometimes I still do.

3. Buck Turgidson

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gene Krupa never had a drum off with Animal. Point Rich.

I would make a joke about Rich's ego, but apparently Krupa might have been the only person on the planet he respected which is probably noteworthy enough to start a thread about Krupa by itself.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Never thought I'd see a Gene Krupa thread on CF. :D I'm no music expert, but I remembered watching Neil Peart drumming yeeeears ago and decided to search around for other drummers and who all were considered among the greatest ever. The search led me to Buddy Rich who I listened to and thought "damn, pretty cool". Of course my "like" for Rich kind of floundered when I saw the video of him dissing country music and people like Chet Atkins and Glen Campbell. Then that led me to Krupa and Rich drum battle :

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Ed Shaughnessy was another guy he really respected.

rimrocker likes this.
  7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Animal is pretty good.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. raj87

raj87 Member

I heard he had respect for one Carl Palmer.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love Gene Krupa. I discovered him after Buddy Rich. Chick Webb is up there as well. He was amazing and doesn't get the recognition of the other guys. I would say he's the most musical of the three.