1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gender discrimination in....television?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TECH, Jun 25, 2008.

1. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Anybody notice how males get the shaft in television commercials and tv shows? Particularly white males. Next time you see a commercial with a family setting, notice how the man is clueless, the woman is an all-powerful genious, the son is dumb, and the daughter is a prestine citizen.
    If the scenario involves a black person and a white person, the black person is NEVER put in any kind of negative light, but the white person will be. Why is that?

http://www.themediadesk.com/newfiles3/ads.htm
    Quote: " Once again, for what- the ninth year running if not more, the only safe people advertisers can poke fun at, call idiots, turn into buffoons or paint as hopelessly stupid are men. Usually white men at that (because black men are well known to be more noble and wiser about these things and to say anything else is racist, just ask Donovan McNabb). Women, minorities, children and even animals are ALL smarter, more talented and in all categories superior than all men in every circumstance. Except for male children that is, once they hit puberty they de-evolve into men.
    From the commercials, it is a wonder we as a species have survived at all since half of our population are drooling nincompoops with no common sense or self control.
    OK, there are commercials where women, kids, dogs, aliens, blacks, whales, penguins, cats and even the French are portrayed as absolute fated losers. But usually it's men." END QUOTE...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C4laQx_L9Hw&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C4laQx_L9Hw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qnPGDWD_oLE&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qnPGDWD_oLE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://glennsacks.com/blog/?p=1810

http://community.verizon.net/thread.jspa?threadID=1800001419

There are countless sources.

2. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Yeah...but in shows they can be stupid, lazy, out of shape, in dead end jobs, but their wives are still always hot.

So it balances out.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

do you think the black guy on those GMC (i believe) commercials working in the parking garage is a great image?

there are two black guys in separate at&t commercials about not getting the important message, one pisses off some japanese potential customers of his. do you think those were positive images?

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I know what commercials you are talking about. Are you saying they promote negative images of black people in general?

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Yeah those are postive.

Compare to the white guy who missed the call and missed out on twisted sister tickets. Meeting with japanese businessmen is like the polar opposite of this.

Personally I think white men should not mind as being portrayed as fat white and dumb. First off like someone said, the wives a mostly hot, secondly the studios have to do this because SOMEONE has to the be the butt of these jokes and making it a fat white guy is politically safe.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i'm really saying i don't give a crap.

but to answer your question, they aren't negative in the sense that they're in prison or on drugs, i'm just saying they are goofy black guys, just like the goofy white guys in commercials.

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Oh, OK. I understand, I think. :p

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

First off - it's motorhead tickets.

Second, the character is clearly ripping off Jack Black (who despite his name is not black), just like the first one of those commercials is a black guy who missed NCAA tickets who is channeling Dave Chapelle or a composite/ melange of black comedians.

Third- if you perceive reverse racism in these commercials - I don't even know what to say.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

its his life's cause

10. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Been thinking this for years.......but the white man cant really speak out anymore without people jumping down their throat.......But plies can run around saying cracker like it is going out of style.....

Yea im getting off topic but,......

Plies says "p***y ass crackas"

Could you amagine the heat a white guy would catch for saying "p***y ass *****s" in a song.......

Just isnt fair........

Dont lie to youreslf either........you know its true.......

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

did you read the second part of my post?

my guess is this is why you don;t know what to say.

also what is reverse racism?

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I see almost as much black male actors trying to act ignorant or bafoonish as much as I do see black actors in a professional setting.

What I don't see much are asian males who aren't a electrician/computer technician/doctor. Or if they're villainous, they have to be emasculated in some respect.

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The number one apparently most watched cable sitcom on cable is House of Payne. I've never watched it, but from the ads, it looks like the dad is a fat silly husband not much different from all the fat white sitcom dads.

If you really think there is some kind of discrimination going on against white men, let's take a look at the top shows in television right now:

House: White Doctor who can solve all ailments.

CSI: All white competant investigators and one black dude.

Greys Anatomy: Don't watch, mostly sexy white doctors it seems, except for their black female boss and one asian chick. This show was created by a black woman though.

NCIS: All white brilliant naval crime investigators.

CSI Miami: mostly wait except for milfishly lot Khandi Alexander.

Two and a Half Men: 3 white leads, the main ones problem being that he has too much sex in his awesome beach house.

Family guy is a bad example for you to use considering they do a lot of jokes about black people.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zMg9DGVnhWU&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zMg9DGVnhWU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Is there even a single black or hispanic male lead on any show on network television?

15. Hmm

Hmm Member

hmm.. off the top of my head... Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa.. in several roles...? Roger Yuan in "Shanghai Noon"..? Rick Yune.. "fast in furious..? John Lone in "Rush hour 2"..? even Jet li in Lethal Weapon 4.. ?

need I mention Bolo Yeung..?

and.. there was "Big Trouble in little china".. a white action-hero lead.. cluelessly and for a while.. helplessly getting pushed around by several asian, not at all emasculated, villains..

actually now that I type this.. I think there are two asian stereotypes in movies.. the "bad ass" ruthless, immoral, corrupt.. or "evil".. asian villain or as you stated.. the ever good technician/engineer/doctor/scientist..