1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[geeks] Fortune 50 Security Director asked me..I'm going to have to know what that "Black Box" is

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Oct 11, 2014.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Background
    So, I have to talk to Fortune 500 Security Directors regularly who question me as part of purchase of our SaaS software. Among other IT issues, they question me on our 3rd party audits regarding penetration tests.

That's all cool. They should. And that's why we pay big bucks to hacker firms to attempt to penetrate us, and write Audit Reports of their work.

Story
    So, a head Security Officer at a Fortune 50 asked me ... so in Section 5.1.1. of your audit it mentions a "Black Box",,,we are going to have to know what that is.

so sigh

Geek Challenge
    Can someone at clutchfans please tell him what a black box is?

Conclusion
    These Fortune 500 firms are so vulnerable...it's silly

I'm so disappoint...

#1 heypartner, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  2. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

It's what you encounter in the back room at Strippin' Sistas Bar & Grill.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

4. heypartner

Dude, you've made this "Hope Solo" comment in many threads (black hole), and you are German.

We have a special place for Germans as a category in p*rn.

just saying

5. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Lol.

Just learned this is in my Marketing class.

It was on the test.

But I'll pass HP.

1 person likes this.
  6. da_juice

da_juice Member

Per wikipedia:

"In penetration testing, black-box testing refers to a methodology where an ethical hacker has no knowledge of the system being attacked. The goal of a black-box penetration test is to simulate an external hacking or cyber warfare attack."

1 person likes this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Head Security Officer doesn't need to know what a black box is. They can just ask someone from the company they're paying to tell them...

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I can assure you that you mother did not even come close to passing any kind of penetration test last night

9. heypartner

This wasn't a pop quiz. The dude had our audit report for weeks before the call. That was a planned question from him. And his team was on the call

Sorry, this is like a CFO not knowing what EBIDTA is. imo

#9 heypartner, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  10. droxford

droxford Member

Don't be silly - it's a black woman's coochie.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Maybe you crashed a plane and had the flight recorder.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Is it something I could possibly fap to?

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The only suitable response in that situation should've been "ur moms vajayjay, lulz".

14. heypartner

I was tempted to say "Do you have metric tools?"

We can laugh here, but when you are on spot...I froze for a second with the salesman perplexed why I froze...like "should I jump in?"

Salesmen can solve this problem

I froze for about 3 beats...because I wasn't sure what to say without embarrassing the InfoSec Director in front of his team.

This is my first thought and not what I said, "Ummm, it's not a box; it's a methodology...you can look it up on wikipedia?" How is that not embarrassing ... any way you phrase it? That's what's going through my head ,,, and hence the noticeable pause in my answer.

So, there is a solution to this problem set. I think any salesman can tell us.

It starts with, "That's a good question!" As much as that is hard to swallow for the Scientists of the world.

Geek Problem Set

What do you say when everyone in the "room" thinks the question is valid, when, in fact, it doesn't make sense at all. And the correction might be embarrassing to the prospective client, in the final stage of a multi-million dollar sell.

#14 heypartner, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  15. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Seriously, though. You should have just explained it. When everyone in the room but you thinks that a question is valid, then it is in fact valid, and it is up to you to explain things. Pausing or acting weird just turns a normal situation into an awkward one.

Also, things can be explained without being condescending. As long as you don't act like a douche, he shouldn't be offended.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This.

17. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You need to be, or pretend to be, the smartest person in the room at all times. They're paying you to make them look good. So put some confidence in their decision making by being the smartest guy in the room and give a valid answer.

And don't ever type SaaS software again. It's redundant. :grin::grin::grin:

1 person likes this.
  18. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iDbyYGrswtg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UTBsm0LzSP0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/18N2k1TBBRE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. heypartner

I didn't explain my answer. I posed a question to geeks for how they'd do it.

We should share stories. No?

I'm not looking for an answer, for myself. Mine worked. As like my 20th time talking to Fortune 500 directors, it was just a challenge that I'd never encountered before...so I froze for 3 beats. And wanted to share that story.

as Jev5555 said, you are paid to be the smartest person in the room, just don't insult the client.

The cool thing in all these many calls is I've discovered how to categorize these Fortune 500 security officers based on their company's business.

Let me give props..the Cleveland Clinic Security Officer impressed more than any other. By Far!

Do you want to guess why?

20. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

[​IMG]

A picture is worth a thousand words