1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gearing Up For The Rocky Mountain Revue

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Jul 13, 2001.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Member

If you live around Salt Lake

Okay, one week to go, so this is as good a time as any to start getting ready. I'm getting the full-access pass, so I can attend all the games, and work/classes permitting, I'll be attending all the Rockets games....

We did this last year, and it was fairly successful for the first two games at least. (before I up and went to Hawaii for no reason) But this time no trips to Hawaii... The big questions I have are, first off, who is going to be there also? Last year slcgriff was there, and took care of the writeups...

Don't really know if he's still around, but if so, let me know... slcrocket is gone on him church mission, so he's out. I figure Achebe's got a job or something pressing, but hey, let me know if you'll be going to any games, and we'll work something out...

If there's anyone else in the Salt Lake Area let me know... You can email me at nhayden@hotmail.com

Everyone Else

The next thing is... I want to know what kind of information y'all would like us/me to gather while I'm there. Are there any particular questions you'd like me to ask? Any particular aspects of the game you wanna know about? I need specifics here. Obviously, "Try to talk to Eddie Griffin" is a given...

Last year we were able to track down and talk to the players, but once we got there, we felt kind of dumb cause we weren't really sure what to ask them. (although we DID find out about Bryce Drew's injury before it went public, but little else)

Anyway, respond in this thread and I'll/we'll see what we can do...

[​IMG]

(and I don't care if this is the wrong forum... it's the only forum that counts) [​IMG]

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

2. Moe

Moe Member

Darkhorse, I have communicated with Achebe about this in another thread. (Big E's pictures). I am going to try to come down next week and maybe go back the first part of the following week. I will e-mail you.

------------------

3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Member

Good... I saw that communication and I was hoping to consolidate everything like that into one thread...

Let me know and we'll work something out...

[​IMG]

------------------
    - Mark Twain -

4. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

"Any particular aspects of the game you wanna know about? "

If u could find out:

about Griffin: I know the guy can block shots, but how good is his one on one D.

T-Rock: Is this guy capable of defending quicker NBA SF. And also how good is his shot? Can he only hit open shots or is he capable of creating his own. Also how good is his ball handling?

Langhi: Does he really have enough skills to score on NBA players or is he only a summer league guy(I know he supposedly scored on Odom a couple of times in the first game but I would like to know more).

If u could find this out that would be great!! [​IMG]

------------------
    Howdy Partner!

5. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Ask Griffin if he were a tree what kind of tree would he be...... No seriously just tell Griffin if he punches Francis that he will be introduced to Mr. Mean's fists.

------------------
    "We need to FOCASS".... Akeem Olajuwon

6. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Member

<u><font size=5>Things To Find Out</font></u>

Eddie Griffin:
    - Can he play one-on-one Defense?
    - Can he post up?
    - Does he have good court-vision?
    - Can he pass?
    - Is he a better offensive or defensive rebounder?
    - Is he aggresive on the fast break?
    - Is he active in transition?
    - Can he create from the perimeter?
    - What is his range?
    - Does he have a good attitude when faced with failure/dissappointment?

Terence Morris:
    - Can he play Defense on quicker SF?
    - Does he have a good shot?
    - Does he hit the open shot?
    - Can he create?
    - Does he have good ball-handling?
    - Does he have a good attitude when faced with failure/dissappointment?

Dan Langhi:
    - Can he score against legit NBA players?
    - Can he be effective from the weakside?
    - Does he have good floor position without the ball?

Jason Collier:
    - Does he look healthy on the floor?
    - Can he guard other centers well?

<u><font size=5>Questions To Ask</font></u>

Everyone
    - Goals/etc?
    - What roll do they expect in the coming season?

Carroll Dawson
    - Were the Rockets going to pursue Webber more heavily if they didn't get Griffin?

Eddie Griffin:
    - What is his actual size/weight?

Dan Langhi:
    - What roll does he expect in the coming season?
    - Will he be the sparkplug a la Cassell, etc?
    - Will he play backup at the 2 at all?

Jason Collier:
    - Does he feel healthy (100%) on the floor?

------------------
    - Mark Twain -

[This message has been edited by DarkHorse (edited July 13, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by DarkHorse (edited July 16, 2001).]

7. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

Thanks again and have fun!!! But then again its in Utah... [​IMG]

------------------
    Howdy Partner!

8. crash5179

crash5179 Member

I would like to know what his actuall size is. Some publications have him at 6'9" and I have seen some that list him at 6'10.5". Also is he still at 222 or has he lost or gained any weight?

Also see how good his offense is when he is in the post with his back to the basket.

How well does he see the floor and how are his passing skills.

Is he a good offensive rebounder or mainly a defensive rebounder.

How well does he put the ball on the floor and how good is his first step.

Does he run the fast break agressively or does he just jog down the floor.

Does he get back on defense fast or just kind of jog back?

There I hope that is enough questions for you. Thanks. BTW, I am wish I could be there have a great time.

------------------

[This message has been edited by crash5179 (edited July 13, 2001).]

9. The Cat

The Cat Member

DH,

Watch Langhi. How good is he at playing on the weak side? To me, during the regular season last year, he looked like someone with a lot of talent, but he didn't know how to play the team game. I'm not saying he's selfish, but he looked like someone who had had offenses catered to him his whole life, and didn't know how to move without the ball, etc. Try and check him out offensively when he doesn't have the ball.

Also, watch Collier's footwork and lateral movement to try and see where he is in recovering from the knee surgery. I read last night in the Chronicle that he is still trying to work his way back, so try and give us a general idea as to how healthy he looks on the floor. Also, see how he plays defensively against some of the more physical players.

Also, a couple for Griffin. How good is he at creating his own shots from the perimeter as opposed to the post? How much range does he have on his shot?

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

10. cson

cson Member

11. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Member

I really want to. The issue is, I don't have a digital camera, which significantly cuts down on picture effectiveness.... Achebe/Moe, do y'all have a digital camera?

[​IMG]

------------------
    - Mark Twain -

12. ZRB

ZRB Member

Pay attention to how Griffin and Morris react to bad calls, and how they act if they lose the game. I want to get an idea of the attitudes they bring to the court.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

"I want to be like Olajon." -Sagana Diop has the right idea...

Keep the ???? alive!

13. Sattle

Sattle Member

After watching some of the Summer League action in Long Beach, Griffin appeared very relaxed and non-emotional. He received 2 quick fouls and was benched only 3 minutes in the game.

We were sitting about 10 feet away and I could hear what he was saying. He was calm about the fouls and the situation. Griffin kept his cool and was the first to give high fives to the other 5 on the court during a time out.

He is the real deal folks. It's a sigh of relief now days, considering a lot of rookies have dope convictions and tatoos on their skulls. [​IMG]

The comparison to Duncan in attitude and emotion is right on the money. I think we got a real star in Griffin.

------------------
    Sattle
    Sat50.com

14. Achebe

Achebe Member

Darkhorse, I have a digital camera, but I'll have to get it back from a friend. He's been busy taking all of his dirty pictures on it. lol

Other things we'll have to accomplish:

Ask Carroll Dawson if we'll be bringing back Mobley... oh wait, that was last year. We'll have to ask when the team decided one way or the other about their FA needs. If Griffin hadn't been picked up, would the team have consolidated on Anderson and Taylor or been more vocal about a Webber pursuit( I'm beginning to think that Webber is a *****, but if he signs w/ the Rockets... perhaps I can expand my appreciation [​IMG]).

Rudy, when someone for the Rockets scores, Rudy should be asked: is that good for us?. [​IMG]

Griffin: are you a weirdo that is going to punch out other members of our team? What do you think about Cato?

Langhi: what do you see your new role on the team as? Are you the sparkplug? Will you(he) be getting a lot of time at the backup 2 spot?

Collier: It's finally nice to meet you in person, The Cat.

Morris: What's to ask Morris? He'll be the starting 3 in about 4 years. Congrats in advance.

------------------
    Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...

15. alaskansnowman

Collier: It's finally nice to meet you in person, The Cat.-achebe

<h1>LOL</h1>

------------------
    its not the hours you put in your work that counts, it's the work you put in the hours - alaskansnowman

16. The Cat

The Cat Member

17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Cat,

Thanks for offering...hope you enjoy the games!

I'd be interested if you could ask Grif, TMo or DL what their goals are for this year?

Maybe corny to some, but you get a feel for what a kid's priorities are and then we'll see how hard they work to achieve them.

A follow-on or alternative question would be what role they see themselves playing within the ROX system...interested in their perspective.

Thanks!

------------------

18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

DH - My apologies...I said Cat in my last post, but meant you.

Too late...too many margaritas.

I'm out.

------------------

19. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Member

Taking a test today... will get back to you all later... [​IMG]

------------------
    - Mark Twain -

20. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

If you do half the job Big E and Saddle have done, you will be known as Clutch CIty heros for 3 weeks. And ask Sean Colsen if he's willing to grow an afro if Moochie leaves [​IMG].

------------------
    __ Ñ _ _ _
    /_ ______ _ \
    ÝÝÝÝl____| * |___ lÝÝÝÝ ¡,.-ñý¯Ç ¡,.-ñ~ñ~ñ-.,¡ `¯ýñ-.,