1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

As time passes, the trade is looking worse and worse. That said ... there are several NBA team who drafted ahead of us that are getting much less return on their draft pick (Raptors, Bulls, Bobcats, Hawks).

2. ritou

ritou Contributing Member

Your bet is wrong. Who cares those two players?! Do you think they are Micheal Jordans. :D

3. Panda

Panda Member

This is what happens when people don't read other's post carefully. I don't know what you are arguing about, for one thing, Battier and Finley are mainly three point shooters, the majority of their shots come from 3s, 3 point percentage is more important than 2s percentage to begin with.

Battier average 1.3 more rebound is a mute point since he plays seven more minutes than Finley. Rebounding wise they are on par.

Nice to water down Finley's scoring efficiency over Battier by saying it's just two points. Let me repeat my words, Finley scored 20% more points in 20% less minutes over Battier, that's significantly better efficiency.

You are saying that I don't realize that Battier guards the other team's best perimeter players, first, I don't know why you are assuming that I don't know it. I acknowledged that Battier being better on defense, meanwhile, Finley's defense is solid enough to play nearly 30 minutes on the Spurs. Second, Battier doesn't guard the other team's best perimeter players all the time, he didn't guard Deron Williams in the playoffs for example. He's unathletic. He plays D by hustle, sometimes he did well, sometimes he failed.

Finley was an all star and carried a team to decent record, Battier never did it. Battier was 0-12 in the playoffs before he came to the Rockets. There's no comparison between the two. As for the Spurs winning it all with Battier, maybe, maybe no. ;) I don't know why you are assuming that because Battier has never won a playoffs series.

4. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

I did read your post. My point was the difference in points per game is not as important because it totaled two points per game. Yes, Battier plays more then Finley but he shoots less often. That means he takes less shots from Yao and Tmac so as far as efficiency goes, its not like he is out there chucking up 15 shots a game and only scoring 8 points.

Also you cant simply say Finley is good enough to play 30 min on the Spurs and then not recognize that Battier is good enough to play 35 min on the Rox. Like it or not, JVG system verses Adelman system, Battier gets major minutes with both, so obviously two successful coaches feel he deserved playing time.

As far as comparing the two, I would bet more people here would rather have Battier then Finley on this team right now.

5. overu

overu Member

i still want roy!

6. Panda

Panda Member

Battier is an efficient scorer. He only takes easy shots, when it has merits, it also put more scorinig load on other guys. The Rockets offense has been lacking this season, as a starting sf logging 35 minutes and scores 8 points, Battier has not done enough on offense.

We have no other legit sf to choose from. Battier should start and play lots of minutes, but that doesn't mean his value is on par with Gay. If you offer straight up Battier for Gay, I bet the Grizziles would laugh their asses off.

That's because of Finley's age and he's a combo guard/sf. We do need a legit sf. However, I'd take a younger Finley over Battier 7 days a week, and I will take Finley over Battier in the playoffs simply because he's more proven. My point is, Battier's value in the market is better comparable to Finley than to Rudy Gay, and Rudy Gay worths way more than both right now just after one year of trade. So, it is not a good trade at this point in time.

7. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

I dont see how anyone can blame Battier for taking easy shots. Isnt the fact that Rafer and Tmac often take horribly tough shots the reason they get bashed so much here.

I think it is safe to say we are not going to agree on this issue. I will admit Rudy Gay is more talented then Battier, but I still think the Rox are a better team with Battier then Gay because I think we need a strong perimeter defender more then a third scorer.

Yes, the offense has struggled this year, but the defense has been very good and Battier plays a huge role in that. On most teams you are right, Gay would be more valuable then Battier. But when you have two guys that command that much offense (Yao and Tmac), Battier fits what this team needs.

8. Panda

Panda Member

I'm not blaming him for taking easy shots, but just taking easy shots and make 111 work like horses aren't enough when our offense struggles. We need him the starting sf to create for himself and others more in an offensively challenged season, instead of taking a step back watching Rafer and T-Mac throwing up horribly tough shots. Why don't you just admit that Battier probably can't create for himself much, that he's got no choice but to take easy shots in order to maintain his scoring efficiency? It's not like we can just give him the ball and watch him beat defense can we?

That's what I don't agree and I can accept that difference. I don't agree with that simply because we have Yao and T-Mac we can afford guys like Hayes and Battier being offensively dead weight(Hayes) or offensively under producing(Battier). Loading our starting lineup with these guys is one of the reason why we always lost to the elite teams in the past, our offense was not good enough to beat their defense with guys like Hayes and Battier starting. When we benefit from defensive plays, we also lose games because offensive under production from the trio of streaky Rafer, under producing Battier and offensive dead weight Chuck Hayes.

You can never have enough talent, if you don't want to trade Battier for Gay straight up right now, I don't need to say anything anymore.