1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gay Public Displays of Affection

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by durvasa, Jun 12, 2016.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The point was to start a conversation about people's attitudes towards gay people exhibiting PDA. Maybe I should have provided more context and chosen a different thread title to make that more clear. I wasn't trying to steer people into thinking that gay people in particular should refrain from PDA (not my position at all), but rather point out that this is still a very prevalent attitude though under the circumstances I wouldn't expect many to express that at this time.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I guess it's the timing of your thread.

I'll be honest - I don't like having to look at two men making out. That situation rarely ever happens, though. It would be like being in a plane seat and having that in your line of sight. Other than that, when do you ever have a situation where you can't just look away or go somewhere else. Also, I am absolutely in favour of them having the right to do it. It's just that I don't find it aesthetically pleasing to see, just personal preference. Same goes for all kinds of people I find unattractive, though.

PDA and how I would guess most straight men subconsciously judge the situation:

Two men doing it - nah, I'll look away
    Two unattractive women doing it - nah, I'll look away
    Two attractive women doing it and inviting me in - ok, I might have a closer look
    An attractive woman doing it with any man (attractive or unattractive) - let me punch that guy unconscious and take over

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

When I was a kid in the late 50's early 60's, men never hugged each other as a form of greeting. Mostly is was just a hand squeezing contest. Now bro-hugs are SOP.
    (ew!)

Times change.

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I have no issue with PDA between any (legal, consenting) people at any level. Why would what other people choose to do with each other bother me?

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Public implies public places and I do sort of have an issue with that because idiots will always find ways to abuse it. Where the line is, is sort of depending on where you live. So rightfully the majority community members should have a right to their opinion of what is acceptable in their communities. Other folks (outsiders) should be mindful and respectable of that. That's the only way folks will get along, if they are tolerant of each other. A sort of agreement of tolerating old fashion morals by toning down the PDAs for example.

Folks tend to do this anyway, I call it organic segregation. I think it should be encouraged actually. Like minded folks should be encouraged to live together without condoning intolerance.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I doubt self-segregation is the true intent of living in a diverse melting pot.

This

7. likestohypeguy

Would it be intolerant to ask that it be kept out of public bathrooms at least?

Otherwise yeah, let's celebrate their sexuality anywhere else they want- planes, small waiting rooms, even while I'm eating. Just not there, please.

8. ipaman

diverse melting pots can get so hot they go nuclear

9. Invisible Fan

I haven't seen any couple getting hot and heavy in public because they are in their designated enclave.

If anything, things are getting nuclear because the lines dividing self segregated enclaves are becoming thinner and thinner, and the people who would prefer to not to see "the others" can't anymore.

So I'm more interested in seeing how America gets over that hump rather than wishing and preserving a status quo that's slowly becoming more and more obselete.

10. ipaman

hypothetically speaking if this guy lived in kansas he wouldn't see what set him off and there are no gay clubs to shoot up.

that's all i'm saying. i live in houston area but if i had issues with houston or texas majority thinking i'd move to improve my life. no different if i loved mountain activities, living here would suck so i would move. living somewhere that thinks like you do can make your life more pleasant. but not misconstrued as intolerance. forcing people to integrate or segregate are both wrong. don't force people to do anything, let it be organic.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sorry, but that's simply not true. There are plenty of "Gay clubs" in Kansas, and plenty of LGBT folks, as well. I don't understand the reference. It took about 5 seconds to google "gay clubs in Kansas," with a host of clubs popping up.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Prepare for a lot of unwanted retargeting ads in the near future ;).

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good point! Plenty of ads from Kansas about the clubs there, no doubt. It's weird how that happens. I have a pretty good ad blocker, fortunately, but some always seem to slip by. At least they're reduced in number.

I'm gathering myself for the deluge! ;-)-

14. ipaman

if you think all 50 states are the same in terms of economic, moral, race, politics, laws, etc... then you're not being honest. you know exactly what i mean and are trying to win an argument instead of engage in real talk.

15. Invisible Fan

There's no definite way to determine what drove a husband and father to do such a thing. :(

Likewise you can't tell anyone to move if they feel alienated or frustrated in their area. That's a freedom our choice you might have right now but others don't.

But i see what you mean. I don't see it as forcing, as I don't think the government should meddle in this social growing pain.

What I see it as is more if a survival thing where your neighbor isn't that scandalous Korean or shifty Brit but rather a human being that likely shares a lot of pain and struggles one has had in their life.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

I don't care whether the parties involved are straight or gay. Get a room.

17. SeabrookMiglla

yeah i dunno a quick kiss is alright, a little touching alright. but i f'ing hate it whenever people are crawling all over eachother in a public place, like man get a room. lol

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

In every thread I have the same question, why is two people of the same sex showing affection bad? why do we even care? How does that serve a culture?

I've always thought keeping sex private and taboo was just to make it more fun, the reality of rubbing genitals isn't that pretty when examined closely. Average human bodies are a little grotesque. Our fetishes seem silly in the light of day.

Maybe if men having sex with men was commonplace , nothing else would ever get done.