1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Gay) Niner: no sweet stuff in the locker room

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by basso, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Commodore

Commodore Member

ESPN was baiting Arian Foster asking him about this on the radio this morning expecting him to condemn Cullver.

His answer was refreshing. He said he didn't agree but that's his opinion and he has a right to it. That this country was built on the principle of coexisting with others who have different opinions. That he has no interest in telling others what they should believe.

You could tell the host was disappointed.

2. SC1211

SC1211 Member

Having the ability to do something does not make it a good action.

3. Major

Major Member

Agreed - he can have his opinions. And the rest of us can have the opinion that he's an idiot and express that too.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

My point has been that alot of bullying has little to do with sexual identity
    Most bullying I saw was the Strong victimizing the weak.

Sexual Identity . . . did not play into it . . .

Rocket River

5. Major

Major Member

You don't think people bully gay kids? :confused:

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I think the most surprising part of that article was

Shock jock? Lol Howard Stern would be proud! I like how the one "reporter" who made headlines during SB Media week was none other than Artie Lange. Funniest part is that he's as qualified as any other journalist there asking questions.

7. JeopardE

JeopardE Member

Arian's answer is the correct one. I know we are in the era of the championing of gay rights etc., but the objective should never be to stifle speech. And yes, he he has just as much right to state his opinion as everyone else does to call him a fool for it.

It's Super Bowl week, and every little journalist is out and about looking for a way to make a popular story, and they'll fish until they get something worth parroting about, whether it's this, deer antler juice, or out of context quotes about wanting to sign with the Patriots.

It's a ridiculous media circus that I have made up my mind to ignore completely.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

About 20 % of the Ravens will use this as pin up material for the game
    The other 80% will pin up naked ladies from penthouse magazine.
    And then there is Ray Lewis who will begin his ascension into Heaven, where no gay can go.

Two snaps up and a twist of pink lemonade.

9. juicystream

juicystream Member

Often times, the assumption is made that the weaker ones are gay...

I saw a number of kids bullied over their potential sexuality while I was in high school.

10. SC1211

SC1211 Member

The free speech argument is used all the time and it's stupid. No one is saying he's not allowed to say what he did. What many are saying is that what he said was wrong. Criticizing someone on their genetic characteristics is generally thought of as wrong. Yes, he had the right to say it, but that's a cop out answer.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

To put it nicely, RR is not very sypmathetic to the plight of homosexuals.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Quoted what I responded too.

You think the MAJORITY OF ALL BULLYING HAPPENS TO GAY KIDS??
    Basically you are saying that if the kid is not gay . . . more than likely they are not bullied. That bullying is nigh exclusive to the gay population?

I don't believe that a MAJORITY of bullying happens to gay kids
    hell . . .how many gay kids are there?
    5%? 10%? 50%?

So if 10 kids are bullied . . .6 of them are gay????? I don't think so.

Rocket River

13. BleedRocketsRed

Ugh this is such a PR disaster. Horrible timing..

Honestly does seem like Brooks did not the video was targeted to LGBT kids. Thought it was antii-bullying in general for all bullying. Just watched the bid, the only player who even mentioned LGBT was Donate.

#53 BleedRocketsRed, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Obviously a very dumb thing to say, but let's not destroy him yet -- he's young and dumb -- from what i've heard from him since he made the statement he's already learning how wrong he was.

15. juicystream

juicystream Member

He insulting them by saying they aren't welcome. Just imagine if he actually has a teammate that is gay?

Garrison Hearst's comments were definitely worse. That has to change. You can't be that homophobic.

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I know. [​IMG]

You would think athletes wouldn't be this dense on a professional level... Umm, on second thought.

This argument has a tricky paradigm to it. Being openly gay is definitely off-limits in the culture of the NFL and most football locker rooms. It would bring a certain distaste to the mouth for some players. While, some fans and critics might feel like a player should keep such behavior to themselves and not mention to others ... private as possible.

On the other hand, if you are living a secretive lifestyle, and you get outed by a tabloid, friend, or lover of sorts. Your teammates, fand, and critics dislike or ostracize you for hiding in the closet. Being deceptive.

Where exactly are you supposed to fall on the fence?

So, there doesn't seem to be a winning situation within this. Why is this so much harder for guys to deal with than girls, because we share locker rooms and bathrooms all the time with women who are lesbians, bi, or anything but straight, yet do not have this kind of uncomfortable homophobia flying through the air.

17. professorjay

professorjay Member

Agreed. This straw man defense is lame. Just admit you agree with him and don't want to hear anyone criticize your view. Commodore among them in this thread.

18. professorjay

professorjay Member

Discrimination towards homosexuals is overrated. It's mostly fiction.

Just like racism is gone.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

I wouldn't be to critical when the best the policy the entire U.S. Federal Goverment could come up with is "Don't Ask Don't tell." I mean seriously. This is a policy.

20. Commodore

Commodore Member

I don't agree with him, but I also don't feel the need to change his mind or scold/preach/shame him into silence.

The worst aspect of the gay rights movement is the sanctimony and bullying of others into accepting their lifestyle.