1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gay national security spokesman for Romney resigns

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SunsRocketsfan, May 2, 2012.

1. SunsRocketsfan

This might hurt Romney. He lost the crazy social conservative votes and any credit he got for hiring a openly gay spokedsperson. Social conservatives are lame

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/us-politics/9240243/Gay-Mitt-Romney-spokesman-resigns.html

Richard Grenell, who had worked in previous years in the US mission to the United Nations under Republican President George W Bush, had been hired recently to tackle the foreign affairs portfolio for the all-out-certain Republican nominee Romney.
    "While I welcomed the challenge to confront President Obama's foreign policy failures ... my ability to speak clearly and forcefully on the issues has been greatly diminished by the hyper-partisan discussion of personal issues that sometimes comes from a presidential campaign," Mr Grenell said in a statement received by the Washington Post.
    "I want to thank Governor Romney for his belief in me and my abilities and his clear message to me that being openly gay was a non-issue for him and his team."
    Mr Grenell had been faced with a full frontal assault by some social conservatives opposed to homosexuality, including conservative activist Bryan Fischer, director of issues analysis for the American Family Association.
    Mr Fischer wrote on April 20 that Romney's choice of an openly gay spokesman sent a "message to the pro-family community: drop dead."

And in conservative magazine National Review, contributor Matthew Franck wrote last week about how Grenell's apparent obsession with gay marriage could damage the Romney campaign.
    "Suppose Barack Obama comes out – as Grenell wishes he would – in favour of same-sex marriage in his acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention. How fast and how publicly will Richard Grenell decamp from Romney to Obama?" Mr Franck wrote.
    The Romney camp issued a quick response to Grenell's departure.
    "We are disappointed that Ric decided to resign from the campaign for his own personal reasons," Romney campaign manager Matt Rhoades said in a statement.
    "We wanted him to stay because he had superior qualifications for the position he was hired to fill."

2. Nook

Nook Member

Does not hurt Romney at all, because the vast majority of those voting for him do not care for gay rights.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This.
    In fact this might even strengthen his voter base. Right-wingers hate gays.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I take it y'all have never heard of independent voters.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this can definitely hurt Romney. Romney doesn't have to worry about his gay rights hating base. They won't vote for Obama no matter what. But Romney needs independents if he hopes to win. This could definitely hurt him with independents.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Most people that claim to be independents lean one way or the other, and if gay rights were a big issue they already know how the parties view gay rights. This is nothing new, Republicans dislike gays and Democrats want your guns.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree there are left leaning and right leaning independents. But there are also those that are fiscally conservative and socially liberal, and those that are undecided. This may push some of those in Obama's camp.

It might not, but Romney is kind of in the underdog position, and needs to move toward the center for the general election. This doesn't help that.

8. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

This is great news for ...... don't know.

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I just don't get it with the GOP. If the man can do the job who cares who he ****s?

10. Nook

Nook Member

Republicans care... Less than ten years ago... But still quite a few..

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I look forward to the day when someone's sexual orientation isn't going to be an issue with if they can do their job.

12. Major

Major Member

I think this is a non-story as far as voters go. Yes, it could sway some independents - but most people are not paying attention to small things like this, and those that are (high information voters) likely already have picked a candidate.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

He should have stayed on, and if someone asked him to leave he should have ratted them out.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

From Andrew Sullivan, who did a bit of digging into this story:

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast...med-as-part-of-the-call-a-reporter-asked.html

The story, right now, probably resonates mostly among gay Republicans voters and is not even very well known among low-information voters. Gay Republican votes, by themselves, are not going to swing the election.

However, if I were the Obama camp, I'd file this under the "stuff to be used later because it's consistent with the narrative of Romney that I'll be pushing" category. My message is going to be that "Romney wants to talk about the economy, but he's a p***y who just gets pushed around by the GOP base. Look at 2010 'Tea Party' set: It's all economy talk in the election, and all gays, abortion and immigrants once they get elected. This is what you expect from a Romney Presidency."

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, bull****. Millions of Democrats are gun owners. President Obama hasn't taken guns away from you, me, or anyone else. And I know Gay Republicans, not to mention Republicans who support Gay rights. Honestly, you are so wrong here that it would be amusing, if it wasn't so sad.

Free your mind.