1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Gawker] Houston Sucks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Apr 2, 2008.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I wish everyone that owns a car during rush hour agreed with this and would move. It'd help me out a lot. Thanks in advance.

2. flipmode

flipmode Member

well, i repeatedly stated that i would like to see improvements, and i even used lovingly a couple of times, so...

and plus, i've seen other cities and found that there is a unique characteristic about each one. San Fran, LA, San Antonio, Austin, NYC, Chicago, St. Louis, New Orleans, Boston, and Detroit all have a distinctness about their look and feel.

this is like the reverend wright sermon - you love something, you see its flaws, and you hope it improves because you would love to see it be amazing. but somehow, people will say i'm a houston-hater. i'm just offering constructive criticism. if nobody points out the problems early on and everyone agrees that the city is great, you'll never improve the things that need to be addressed.

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I agree. I was just kidding. One of my main complaints about Houston has to do with the under developed music scene that is not supported by locals.
    Thus you rarely see quality touring acts ever stop in town. They go to Dallas and Austin, but skip right by Houston.

4. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

$100 says these tools are from California, the only state in the country that feels superior to everyone, especially Texas.

I have, or I should say, had a friend from San Diego. His constant Texas bashing drove me to not talk or hang out with him any more. He's here so his wife can get her PhD and he blames his every problem on Texas. He even had the balls to get on to me when I complained about a $12 chicken salad. "That's nothing in San Diego!"

Idiots.

5. flipmode

flipmode Member

city's no more yours than mine.
    if you learned to read, maybe you'd understand exactly what i'm saying.
    it boils down to "we could do more with our city."

i'll give you a choice of what you would rather look at:

- abandoned strip malls and parking lots inside the loop, built by developers who gave up
    - parks and mixed-use developments next to rail lines that lead downtown

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

who cares? i don't want to visit here. i want to live here. i enjoy living here. that someone from the northeast doesn't want to visit here doesn't bother me in the slightest. not even a little bit.

7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

it took me a long time to shake my texas pride :)
    still, i love texas, warts and all.

8. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Why would you do that?

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

This is something I would never even think about doing. I proudly display my "Certificate of Birth- Native Texan" plaque from the state capitol in my office and would fight over it.

I bleed Texas.

10. thegary

oh, it wasn't something i did consciously, it just faded over time. my point was only that we had our texas pride drilled into us, we were socialized that way. hell, the french are like that too, don't you laugh at them? i do, hell, my freakin' brother-in-law is french. not to mention my wife is austrian and i've lived in nyc for well over a decade. what can i tell ya? i still love texas and believe me, everyone i meet is well aware of it. i just crack up when people can see no wrong with houston. that's fine with me:

Now you're gone, and it's hotels and whiskey and sad-luck dames
    And I don't care if they miss me, I never remember their names
    They say if you get far enough away, you'll be on your way back home
    Well, I'm at the station, and I can't get on the train

Must be blind love, only kind of love is stone blind love
    Blind love, the only kind of love is stone blind love
    With your blind love, oh it's blind love, stone blind love
    It's your stone blind love

Now the street's turning blue, the dogs are barking and the night has come
    And there's tears that are falling from your blue eyes now
    I wonder where you are and I whisper your name
    The only way to find you is if I close my eyes

I'll find you with my blind love, the only kind of love is stone blind love
    The only kind of love is stone blind love
    The only kind of love is stone blind love
    With your blind love, oh your blind love, your stone blind love

It's your blind love, the only kind of love is stone blind love
    Stone blind love, the only kind of love is stone blind love
    With your blind love, the only kind of love is stone blind love
    Stone blind love, stone blind love

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

[Houston] Gawker Sucks

12. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I would rather die.

13. thegary

i'm sure you would

14. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

So eloquent, and so true!

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If Houston didn't suck compared to the elite cities in the US to visit (NYC, LA, SF, Chi, SD, etc) , you guys would not act like hayseeds everytime somebody dares to mention it. The fact is it kind of does - vis a vis the rest. It's obviously in the top quartile of places to be compared to the vast majority of crap cities out there - but not at the very top. I mean basicallyy you can drive East on I-10 all the way to the Atlantic and not find anyplace appreciably better barring South Fl. Maybe Athens GA is better, and arguably Savannah. Atlanta isn't so hot. Anyway, I don't think the assumption that H-town is not amongst the very best cities to be in is reallly not that unreasonable in the grand scheme.

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Houston's best assets are its job market and low cost of living. It is good for families since even working class folks can afford a 2000+ square foot single family home.

So, what the city lacks in scenery, weather, clean air, entertainment, nightlife, etc. I think it makes up for it with the availability of jobs as well as the low cost of living.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I hear dat der Cali-fornuh has a lot of queers.

18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

entertainment/nightlife aint all that bad, imo. and the food here is some of the best in the country.

if houston was picked up and dropped off in the middle of the rockies or right by an awesome beach in socal it would jump to the top of the list of "great" cities.... but them's the breaks.

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

you could say that for any other no happening city...it will gradually revitalize itself around the natural surroundings

20. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

wtf...I agree that Houston isn't paradise, but look at some of the cities you have mentioned. Ridiculous!

San Antonio - overgrown town...to compare it to Houston is foolish.
    Austin - See San Antonio. BTW, I've lived in both cities, Austin traffic BLOWS. I love Austin, but there is no way to compare the two.
    St. Louis - When is the last time you've been to St. Louis? Scratch that...if you've EVER been to St. Louis, I don't see why you'd list it.
    Detroit - See St. Louis.
    New Orleans - Cool place to go out and a nice place to visit. That's about it.

I'm not going to argue Los Angeles just because it's LA and they have hollywood or whatnot, but I hated LA when I visited.

SamFisher, I haven't seen a single post(This thread or past threads) saying that Houston is a good place to visit. It's not. Our biggest attractions(NASA, I guess) are boring. I don't understand why people feel the need to hate on the city for no reason.