1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Gauntlet] Ron Artest vs Caron Butler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dexkk, Sep 8, 2008.

1. dexkk

dexkk Member

Ron Artest vs. Caron Butler
    By Harris Beringer

Ron vs. Caron
    They’re both 28 years old, injury prone, spent two years in college, have been traded a couple of times, and are members of high-powered trios. Artest joins McGrady and Yao this season, while Caron continues to play with Arenas and Jamison.

They each also rank among the league leaders in steals, although Ron Artest is more heralded for his defense.

They each have a somewhat menacing appearance, with Ron sporting large muscles and words shaved in his head, and Caron showing off some ink of a skull on his arm.

These two players have much in common, but their names are not among the similarities.

Ron is short for Ronald, from Queensbridge, NY. He says he grew up in the streets and always follows that code of honor. No one, including fans, may disrespect him or his friends.

Caron is Mr. Butler’s middle name. James Butler, born in Wisconsin, went to high school in Maine and college in Connecticut, does not sound like a very dangerous sort of guy. Naturally, he went with Caron and got the aforementioned skull tattoo.

Background aside, who would you rather have on your team right now?

Ron Artest: 20.5 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 3.5 APG

Each time he missed games, his team was much worse.
    He won Defensive Player of the Year in 2003-2004.
    He was selected to the 2004 All-Star game.
    He played well in his sole All-Star game appearance, unlike Caron.
    His PER has improved every year except the 2005-2006 season, when he was traded from Indiana to Sacramento.
    Artest had to play with Stephen Jackson, Jamaal Tinsley, and numerous other bad influences.
    He is fiercely devoted to his teammates- he now loves Yao Ming.
    Knicks fans have been depressed for the last 9 years that the team drafted Weis over him.

Caron Butler: 20.3 PPG, 6.7 RPG, 4.9 APG

He was an All-Star in 2007 and 2008.
    Caron’s PER has risen each season except his second, when Miami imported a bunch of new players, and he could never get in a rhythm.
    He greatly improved his passing and shooting last year, and helped the Wizards make the playoffs despite a major injury to Gilbert Arenas.
    Last year, he had a higher PER and Win Score than Ron Artest.
    He has played second fiddle to Arenas, Bryant, and Wade, and clearly plays better without them.
    He is less likely to retire, join the Knicks, or release a music album.
    In 11 head to head games, Artest has held Butler to 37% shooting. Last season, Butler shot only 29% against Artest. Defense matters quite a bit.

Who would you rather have by your side?

http://www.nbagauntlet.com/ron-artest-vs-caron-butler/

2. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

Definitely Artest

3. dexkk

dexkk Member

LoL. This part really gets me.

"In 11 head to head games, Artest has held Butler to 37% shooting. Last season, Butler shot only 29% against Artest. Defense matters quite a bit."

4. H-Town Forever

Artest and especially for a team like the rockets who lack toughness

5. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Artest. Butler is a good offensive player but I do belive Artest can play as well as him on the offensive end, he is so strong and he can play defense, he's one of the best defenders...

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Butler is probably my favorite non-Rocket player and honestly, I would consider taking him over Artest

7. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Last season = two head to head games.

8. Michael Phelps

Artest easily.

9. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Caron Was pissed off when the Rockets passed him up for Yao Ming. I remember him saying he was going to make the Rockets regret that mistake!!!

Hmmmm, Caron has been a solid player. He's been a good player, but he is far from being a franchise player.

Back to this thread, I don't think that Caron has the impact Artest has. But, again that might be because I usually only see Caron when he plays the Rockets, because his team doesn't get played much on National TV.

Artest was a bonus!!! The Rockets gave up 2 1st round picks and Bobby jackson. Frankly if you are going to trade for Caron you better be paying with top of the first round draft picks!!!

10. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Wizards have a BIG 3? What would happen to their BIG 3 if they were playing in the Western Conference?

oh and definitely Artest!

11. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

:eek: :eek: Caron thought he should be picked over Yao??????

This is a joke, right? Not even Caron can be this obtuse......

As far as Ron-Ron vs. Caron, it's a no-brainer. When was Caron ever a highly sought after FA? Didn't Laker give him up for Kwame "I got no game" Brown?

12. Junetastic

Junetastic Member

Stupid, stupid logic. What did the Rockets trade Ron Artest for? Old, washed-up Bobby Jackson.

13. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Yes, I thank you very much for showing us all what a stupid idiot you really are.

14. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Easily Artest.

15. oldman

oldman Contributing Member

Caron Butler is one of the most underrated players in the league. He is a great defender and has immensely improved his 3pt% over the last season. He is also very unselfish and an above average passer.

I love Artest but Caron Butler would be my choice.

16. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

The first paragraph of the story refers to Artest as being injury prone.

I would think that is quite debatable.

17. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

Artest is better than Butler in also every aspect. Ron wins by a mile.

18. snc

snc Member

Caron is so underrated because he is on the Wizards, behind Gilbert "LOOK AT ME" Arenas.

19. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

I wonder if we would have traded for Caron instead of Artest would many people on this board be saying that Caron is better.

20. rocketanalyist

I say Artest without a doubt, but for those that differ, lets get them to set up a one on one with no referees, first one to 15 wins. Whoever is left standing wins!