1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the EAST FINALS Game 2 as Tatum and the Celtics host Haliburton and the Pacers. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Gary Johnson: "What is Aleppo?"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Jugdish, Sep 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Americans of all ilks are woefully underinformed on most things political. It is hardly just non college educated white people. Politics is far more a popularity contents than anything else. If it weren't, Kasich would be the Republican nominee.

Also, there is a fair amount of political skill involved in figuring out what the underlying sentiments are, and tapping into them. Clinton was a master at this. It's not as if non college educated, working class people really identify with Trump---he identified with them. That's politics. What Trump has been struggling with since the primaries, though, is that now he needs to tap into a broader audience. This is the struggle for all candidates, who have to veer to the edge of their party to win the primary, but Trump veered more than most.

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

you're not running for president.

the question came out of nowhere. they had not been talking about syria when he was asked so i could understand if he was confused or thought they were talking about something else, but still...this is just dangerously ignorant. not that he had a chance, but this is a disqualifier. that being said, there are plenty of things trump and clinton have said and done that are disqualifiers as well.

i always cast my vote against the two party monopoly so ill still vote for him, but its a little more embarrassing to admit now than it was before.

2016 was the year for 3rd parties to truly make their move into the mainstream and they are blowing it. johnson & stein are total duds. i think if libertarians had made weld their nominee they would have been taken much more seriously.

i smoke weed everyday and i know what aleppo is.

3. dmoneybangbang

I think third parties will have more opportunity but the Libertarians blew it this election cycle. They are on all 50 ballets and could have significantly made progress towards third party. I agree, Weld seems more "with it".

Jealous.

4. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

His answer following clarification of what the reporter was asking was adequate. The pronunciation of the word and the fact that it was asked without context allows for him to ask for clarification. This IMO was no big deal. I have asked many people since this event and nobody knows what Aleppo is. This is the media and any partisan expressing faux outrage to try and discredit Johnson when really it was no big deal. I'm sure they got the clicks they were looking for with their faux outrage.

I mean it isn't like he broke federal laws or deleted emails that were requested for a federal investigation or lied bold faced to the American people or anything.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Just because Gary Johnson is as ignorant as the next dumba$$ American about Aleppo does not excuse him. At all.

You went rather quickly to that old "blame-the-media" chestnut.

6. Anticope

Anticope Member

I sort of agree that the context of the question was kind of weird but you seriously think no one knows what Aleppo is? It's been in the news A LOT recently. I'm really not sure how anyone who follows what's happening in the world can not know about Aleppo at this point.

7. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

The media is tricky. It's as if they expect a politician to know about current world events.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He should have worn an earpiece like Hillary so people could have fed him his answers and he REALLY shouldn't have taken unscripted questions that he didn't have someone else write the answers for him in advance. Clearly inexperienced and far too truthful.

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Kind of hard to defend anyone with a need to be abreast of current world affairs not knowing Aleppo.

Good Time Gary's definitely the candidate you would want to party with but not the candidate you would want running the world's most powerful nation. I'd take him over Trump, though.

10. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I would vote for LHUTZ over Trump or Clinton.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That's been debunked, like ATW's god-awful vid-clip from a few days back.

http://www.snopes.com/hillary-clinton-secret-earpiece/

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I meant it as a joke, Hillary would never field an unscripted question so she'd never actually need to do something like that. She gets people to write her answers for her ahead of time and she rehearses them like a good professional mouthpiece.

13. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Feel the Johnson with <a href="https://twitter.com/maegansmiles04">@maegansmiles04</a>? Why have the left nut or the right nut, when you can have the Johnson? <a href="https://t.co/ytP025Zr4j">pic.twitter.com/ytP025Zr4j</a></p>&mdash; Babes for Liberty (@babesofliberty) <a href="https://twitter.com/babesofliberty/status/775392899265474560">September 12, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>