1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gary Johnson: "What is Aleppo?"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Jugdish, Sep 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Your alternative to the major party candidates...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nKb2oiJluLk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

As a libertarian he probably doesn't care about the rest of the world.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is huge. No way he wins the election now.

Also ruins his chance to become president of Syria.

4. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I've never heard of Aleppo before this so??

Wikki says it is the largest city in Syria and hardest hit by the civil war but this guy makes it sound like Aleppo is some kind of movement.

5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

So you haven't been paying attention to Syria for the last four years.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Syria is a very important hotspot in the world. It's where ISIS started and is headquartered. It's where a dictator has repeatedly used chemical weapons on his own population and civilians. It's where Russia supports that leader.

It is where a ton of the refugees that are the hot topic of conversation in regards to the United States will come from.

So there is a reason why many folks might want to know about it. It might be especially important for people who want to do thing like get involved in politics and political issues of the day. It might be even more important for people who want be the ruler of the free world to know about it.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Honestly, 99% of all people on the face of the Earth likely have no idea of what Aleppo is. And that shouldn't be shocking. At all.

Not the case for a presidential candidate though.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It is not huge because he never had any chance of winning in the first place.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You're not running for President. I think?

^This.

"What is Aleppo?" from a Presidential candidate is pretty bad.

Of course Trump would have probably said, "I'm glad you turned the subject to Libya...."

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Aleppo is a city, not a war.

12. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Wow. Just wow. One of the most fundamental qualifications for anyone running for this office is knowledge of foreign affairs. The fact that he doesn't know Aleppo really disqualifies him immediately, but I suppose he might get a pass. If I were interviewers, though, from this point on I would hit him hard on foreign policy.

13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is emblematic of that quagmire and not knowing what the questioner is referring to, when you're a presidential candidate, is embarrassing.

14. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I don't want to ever hear any Republican mention Gary Johnson's name as a credible alternative again. There is only one person even remotely qualified for the job on the ballot, and her name is Hillary Clinton.

My goodness, even Sarah Palin had more substance than the complete buffoons the right puts out these days.

15. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I'm not surprised that Gary Johnson didn't know what Aleppo is. He always struck me as the type of guy who's "not quite all there"...it was evident in his demeanor in the recent CNN libertarian town hall. The guy's a weirdo and an imbecile that spends too much time getting high and not enough time actually learning about what's happening in the world outside of the US. The Johnson/Weld ticket has just doomed any chance it had of winning 5% of the vote. (They never had a chance at hitting the 15% needed to qualify for the debates.) There's a reason why most of the #NeverTrump GOPers aren't endorsing GJ, and a reason why a lot of libertarians, moderates and independents aren't fond of the guy.

dandorotik is right. If you don't have decent knowledge and understanding of foreign affairs, then you have no business running for POTUS...hell you're also not qualified for a substantial number of lesser positions within the federal government.

Gary Johnson is better suited for lame late-night comedy on some no-name obscure cable TV channel.

A college undergrad student that has paid at least some attention to Middle East news will have likely heard of Aleppo. I mean, c'mon.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

What's interesting is that Romney has said he would be endorsing the ticket if it were the reverse with Weld at the top.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I thought we cured leprosy?

18. TheresTheDagger

Insiders look at Bill Weld today...

[​IMG]

19. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

My son is getting his bachelor's degree in Political Science at the University of South Carolina. He says that in studying nearly all of the candidates, on the right, Rand Paul came across as the most intelligent (he came to talk at SC- so did Marco Rubio and Kasich, I think. He said Kasich and Rubio gave typical generic answers, but Paul was very well-versed on foreign affairs).

He says that Clinton of course knows about it, but he's not a big fan of some of her more hawkish tendencies. But he can't understand how anyone could consider voting for Trump. They've studied him, as well- and linguistically he speaks at the level of a middle school student- and has extremely limited knowledge of world affairs.

My son would vote for Rand over Clinton, but Clinton over Trump. I am OK with this.

20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This is your third party alternative...

[​IMG]

Maybe they should have gone with this guy...

[​IMG]

He seems just as qualified.