1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Garuba is looking like a miss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayhow92, Dec 27, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3064221/202...alen-green-and-rest-of-houstons-young-roster/

Kelly Iko: I’ve kept you long enough but wanted to ask you one last thing. With the focus on the rookies, is there anything to glean from the development of guys like Jae’Sean Tate and K.J Martin? What about the long-lost Usman Garuba?

Sam Vecenie: It was nice to see the extended run Garuba got before he entered the health-and-safety protocols a week ago. And by extended run, I mean it was nice to see him play like six straight games in a row. Obviously, he’s just such a significant project on offense. The skillset there has never been refined or developed, despite his high-level experience in Spain. But for a team that could desperately use smart, intelligent, active defense more often, I’d very much appreciate Stephen Silas playing him more. I do think he can help there, and I think he can do it right now. Again though, this is where the whole “Christian Wood existing on this roster” still plays a significant role in blocking the young guys. But hey, Silas and Co. see Garuba every day in practice and must think he’s not ready. Think that oftentimes, we overcomplicate things: If he’s not playing, it’s probably because he’s not ready. Although, that sentiment does require trust in the coaching staff that I’m not totally sure this staff has earned.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

FIFY.

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Let the guy go to the G-League and spread his wings. Let him play 40 minutes a game. He needs all the floor time that he can physically stand. He's under contract for four years.

4. Milos

Milos Member

If this is all he was going to play ....
    Why didn't we just let him stay in Spain and log heavy minutes there to develop without paying him anything until he's ready to contribute?

You know Tilman would be down to save a few $M

Plus we could have kept him another year on his rookie deal before making the decision to extend him

I like the player and where we picked him

Just seems like the worst possible outcome to handle it the way Stone has so far
    We pay him to never play so he's getting frustrated while stalling his growth
    Makes no sense unless he gets a ton of run the second half of this season

Rashmon, fattz, Nook and 3 others like this.
  5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

FACTS!.......

6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Start Usman and Christopher and see if we can hold the opponents to less than 35 in the 1st qtr.

7. bmelo

bmelo Member

Is Garuba worse on offense than KPJ or Jalen on defense? What is the net of this and why we favor KPJ whos bad on both ends?

8. vator

vator Contributing Member

9. Asian Sensation

Looks like the best player ….. in a pickup basketball game.

jiggyfly, GotGame15 and Jontro like this.
  10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

very interesting. And i totally agree with his point about Wood being on the roster hurting the development of guys like Garuba. If Wood is still on the roster after the deadline I’ve had it with Stone.

jcmoon and Little Bit like this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Really like Nix too.

DD

12. vator

vator Contributing Member

Rashmon, jcmoon, Believe It! and 4 others like this.
  13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

There were 4 others players way better than him available. A 6'8 raw center is looking sus.

GotGame15 and hakeem94 like this.
  14. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

most of the buyout is being paid by garuba himself, not the rockets (rockets can only contribute up to $700k or so). i think there was something in the contract where the longer he stayed in spain, then the higher the buyout amount. so that's a big reason as to why garuba himself wanted to come over this season.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

everybody coached by Stephen Silus looks suspect as hell...
    name one player that is 100% legit...

this is my official challenge to you....

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

also interesting that the coaching stuff didnt deserved his trust....only scrubs on cf have trust in the bs of silas and his goonies ....
    [​IMG]

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Dude has played like 30 NBA minutes. I barely remember what he looks like let alone have seen him enough to form a decision on the future of his basketball career.

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

there you go
    [​IMG]

Jontro likes this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

The only coach I don't trust is Diop

DeSagana Diop was not successful as a player. Why should I trust him as a coach?
    At least Silas was successful as an assistant coach in 19/20

( and it's not a skin color thing )

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

God bless you I hardly even trust myself let alone a coach I never met...:D

ApacheWarrior likes this.