1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Garuba is looking like a miss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayhow92, Dec 27, 2021.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

dislike

2. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Us, man... hehe

Will likes this.
  3. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

No excuse to be out of shape as an NBA player. Sengun knows he needs every last bit of quickness and burst to survive in the NBA, and he looks like he’s lost weight. Sengun looks ripped compared to his first games in the league.

Garuba is either too lazy or undisciplined to realize this, it will cost him generational wealth.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

5. i3artow i3aller

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes but the only thing he locked up this summer was his metabolism. I'm genuine pissed at Garuba, he's the only young player on the roster that I've lost my excitement about.

Fell so far down my list. I was accepting that his youth was why he was so fussy rather than motivated for most of last season, but then to see him having gained weight in the summer was ultra frustrating. I hope he's getting his sh*t together because he's flat out not good enough of an overall basketball player to not be in better shape than last season. The DPOY couldn't be the second best player on a title team, defense ain't going to cut it on its own.

There's a wide open spot for him all he has to do is beat out Boban and Bruno two guys who haven't been able to make a rotation in years. He's the perfect alternate to Sengun, and a perfect grouping with Jabari and Sengun IN THEORY. Unfortunate. I wish him luck but I'm not a big believer in guys who can't take care of things they're 100% in control of.

7. MystikArkitect

He's giving me Spanoulis and Motiejunas vibes. Did good in the Euro leagues but not necessarily wanting to do what's necessary to succeed in the NBA. Heard him on a Spanish interview saying how much he liked Houston's food. So there's that.

Drift Monkey, coachbadlee and topfive like this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

By what grading system? Secret disney gary clark report card?

Corrosion and Pistol Pete like this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Lakers Ultra Bubble Evaluation Disnetron (LUBED).

Corrosion likes this.
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

To me the Bruno Fernando signing was a tell that the front office isn't confident that Garuba will be reliable enough this season either because of his ability to stay healthy or fitness. I think the can't be too thrilled about potentially needing to waive another player to make a roster spot for a backup big.

I still think he's going to get all the chances he can handle this year when he's healthy though. I doubt they are in a place where they are ready to move him just yet. They are probably just a little ticked that his unreliability thus far is costing them a guard prospect they want to try and keep.

ArtV and topfive like this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

DMo worked hard. He was just foolish in letting BJ Armstrong fight for his rights. LOL.

VSpan pouted when he didn't get much PT. Garuba reminded me of him last year. VSpan was at least the "TMac of Greece." Garuba was what? Ben Wallace of Spain?

Drift Monkey, AXG, topfive and 2 others like this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Most likely some version of adjusted opponents point scored per possession. Other teams didn't score well while Garuba was on the court.

D-rock likes this.
  13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Gar-who-ba?

I still have hope for the kid but he needs to work to get healthy, and if he doesn't there's zero chance he cracks the rotation.

14. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Im not going to give up on him just yet. Yes, I wanted to see him out there in Vegas, but he still has time to be ready for training camp to show what he can do. Injuries happen, let's just hope it doesn't become an issue for him long term. I think he knows he needs to show and prove this year to stay in our plans. I believe that he will. Jabari, Tari, and Garuba on the floor together should be some solid defenders out there. Hollins should love these guys.

D-rock, slothy420 and CVcrew like this.
  15. MystikArkitect

In Spain he was Draymond Green lol. His passing is actually really good and he could be a Draymond-lite if he dedicated himself a bit better. The fact that he didn't play in the Summer League was a gigantic red flag for me. Enough to where I can see a future where Garuba just ends up getting cut. Had super high hopes for him too but it's looking bleak.

D-rock, Drift Monkey and Easy like this.
  16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Same with Bruno - but guess what using advanced/team stats for guys who played a combined 300 minutes is SSS trash of the highest order

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Just answering a question though SSS applies to judgements on players with that limited time as well.

18. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Garuba - "I was tmac back in Spain"

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Ben Wallace was probably a bad comp. I don't know if he has Draymond's handles. He certainly doesn't have his mentality.

I had high hope for him when we drafted him. Very disappointing so far, more about his attitude than his talent.

D-rock likes this.
  20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

That’s premature. These guys are super young on this squad and will do stupid crap. That’s what young guys do and Garuba is no different. They’re going to need a long leash. KPJ is a few years older and still needs hand holding through dumb crap. So it’s just is what it is for right now. Coming in not ready to play in summer league is just careless, if he wasn’t injured during his preparation.

#700 TEXNIFICENT, Jul 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    D-rock and CVcrew like this.