1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Garuba is looking like a miss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayhow92, Dec 27, 2021.

1. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's just a list of guys picked after him. Some may turn out to be OK, but Cam Thomas, Jalen Johnson, BJ Boston, etc. have not done much to stand out.

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Agree. I think he needs more G-League time before he steps foot on the NBA floor again. If he doesn't get in shape with that PT, then he won't get in shape with the little floor time he'd get in the NBA.

In the meantime we have to look for a different backup. And while I'm excited for the direction the Rockets are heading, this could be another "growing" year and resulting with a good 2023 pick - not tanking though...

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The folks who sold on Garuba early aren't looking too shabby.

The fanatical Garubheads meanwhile are getting Rockets legend Michael Carter Williams rugpulled.

HODL - you're all gonna make it.

fryjol7 likes this.
  4. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

They’ve shown more than Garuba

theDude and SamFisher like this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I never expected anything from Garuba, but I'm not willing to completely count him out either. He wasn't good enough to be on an NBA court last year but I'm hoping by the end of the season he'll be okay enough to deserve some minutes as a backup big. If he fails at that, then I think we need to start questioning if he's going to make it at all.

red5rocket, Bo6 and BallaDoc like this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

they’ve all been healthy and didn’t have Christian Wood to compete against

7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

europeans in general do not value fitness and training as much as americans. you can see it in top flight football where everyone thinks ronaldo is insane for his work ethic.

*insert boris diaw story here*

8. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That’s true. I think it’s just good to keep in perspective that we really shouldn’t expect much from guys taken in that range. Christopher’s performance last year only magnifies his shortcomings, but he was always a long shot.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm really not sure why people are so down on Garuba. He had some injuries, a large adjustment to the NBA, a team with zero interest in playing team defense (or team offense), and he was only 19.

All in all he showed the last few weeks exactly why we drafted him, and the issues that caused him to fall to us. He's an active body that can guard multiple positions, help on the boards and doesn't bring much to the table offensively. As long as he continues to improve offensively to the point he's not a liability (particularly his 3 ball) he could be a hell of a player. I'm not salivating over him as a core member yet, but I certainly don't see the busty trash some of you do.

10. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

I've always thought of it being more about the "school of training on physical education". A lot of countries are really against weight training in the gym when doing youth sports. Whenever you compare U17s, U19s, US teams are mostly jacked and most of the other teams are really talented guys with no muscle definition eating burgers after games.

11. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i mean just go travel to some major european cities. most of all the young 20 y/os are out there having a pack of cigarettes for breakfast. if you even lift a little bit you will be the most muscular person for miles.

it's a major cultural difference. then travel to colorado and everyone is an ironman tri-athlete.

12. SamFisher

You can see the "half-full" aspect of the last few weeks but there's a fools gold angle as well; he was ok at best in a situation that was tailor-made to beast. Green went off for 30 ppg and was hitting career highs every night, for example, which is what you'd expect from a half-speed tank heavy last few games of the season.

Before they decided to give his minutes to Garuba, Bruno Fernando was in the same situation and he was way better, particularly on offense as a roll man/clean up guy for the guards - if Garuba had games like Bruno did against Sacramento, people would be penciling him in as a starter. But since he was a salary dump rather than a vessel for people's hopes and dreams as a recernt late first roudn pick like Garuba, nobody really cared.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Fernando is a 23 year old in his 3rd year, I would hope he looked better than a 19 year old in his first regular NBA minutes.

More than a slight exaggeration with this "hopes and dreams" BS. He's a guy, saw some signs he could be a a good guy, if the Rockets waived him tomorrow I wouldn't really give a s**t.

14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This is where I'm at as well. Capela looked terrible year 1 and developed into a nice rim protector/rebounding big. Big men take some time and he had a lot going on last year--transition to US/NBA, injury, etc. I'm not as concerned about a little baby fat, let's see how he plays tonight in a starter's role.

glimmertwins and clos4life like this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I was pumped for Garuba last year, but he looked awful when he played. This main and obvious thing is how he ballooned up in size from those Saltgrass Steakhouse chicken tenders, but he was also bad in just about every other aspect. He occasionally played some decent defense, but it wasn't anything great. Mostly, he looked overwhelmed, both mentally and physically; like he did not belong in the NBA.

I watched him play for Spain before the draft and was really interested in him as a prospect; it has sucked for me to watch him disappoint.

I hope he turns it around, of course, but Step 1 in that process is going to be getting in great shape, which he apparently still hasn't done. It's looking like he will be a G-Leaguer again this year.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Very disappointing from Garuba. He's going to get bounced off the roster easily if he keeps this up.

17. TimDuncanDonaut

I don't know, were people expecting washboard abs. The photo is not Zion bad in terms fat %.

Let's see how things go.

AroundTheWorld and DreamShook like this.
  18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

There's no excuse for Garuba to let his body get that out of shape. Yao was no stranger to rehab and even with his foot in a boot he was more defined.

19. SamFisher

Not talking about you but other posters in this thread were talking up his Real Madrid/Spain credentials as if they actually were more relevant than the fact he looked way too slow and unathletic to even be a rotation player when he was out there (also neither of those teams is as good as they were 10-15 years ago, they have slipped dramatically relative to NBA/Gleague)

As for the 19 v 23 thing, sure, i guess but there's a much higher chance, first round pick and all, that Garubas ceiling is closer to Bruno Fernando than Bruno Mars.

If he were only 19 and had insane physical tools maybe it would be different but - this guy is looking pretty miss-ish like this thread says

#639 SamFisher, Jul 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

im still all in on Destiny Garuba!!! I dont care how fat he is.

you guys jumped at the chance to hate on him because there aren't many people to hate on -- on the team. dont get comfortable! Uzi coming!

it is concerning the coaches haven't talked about him at all this off season.